• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
Predictions for this weeks rounds...?

Knox plays Trinity away out at Summer Hill

- Going to be an interesting game however I feel Knox's size up front and back as well as the backline skill will be playing as a tight knit group this weekend. Knox to win by more then 20 points
- Interesting to see how Trinity come together

Unsure of the other rounds

The Guardian

Bob McCowan (2)
Predictions for this weeks rounds.?

Knox plays Trinity away out at Summer Hill

- Going to be an interesting game however I feel Knox's size up front and back as well as the backline skill will be playing as a tight knit group this weekend. Knox to win by more then 20 points
- Interesting to see how Trinity come together

Unsure of the other rounds

Knox by 20.....Tell him his dreaming son!

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox by 20...Tell him his dreaming son!

Dreaming son!?

The Guardian obviously you are a Trinity supporter, I attended Shore so am unbiased here but a friends son attends Knox and I've been watching the Knox Home games with him.

The Knox team has been going strength to strength each game, they are playing attacking and entertaining football but also smart rugby... taking the 3 points early but looking for those 'meat pies'.

The Guardian

Bob McCowan (2)
Dreaming son!?

The Guardian obviously you are a Trinity supporter, I attended Shore so am unbiased here but a friends son attends Knox and I've been watching the Knox Home games with him.

The Knox team has been going strength to strength each game, they are playing attacking and entertaining football but also smart rugby. taking the 3 points early but looking for those 'meat pies'.

A Trinity supporter....Correct!

Most importantly a realist. 2 games into the season, both teams are undefeated, and you are brave enough to call a Knox win by 20.

Last year, Trinity lbeat Knox twice, is it possible for them to reverse that form in 12 months?

My point is this, they are both good sides, however I think the trip out to Summer Hill, whilst not Death Valley, will be playing on the minds of the boys from Knox

Coupled with their last 2 defeats, a 20 plus point smashing by Knox over Trinity, is very brave or maybe foolish.

We will both know at 4:45 on Saturday afternoon, but I think the green machine will take out a 3rd Victory on the trot.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
A Trinity supporter..Correct!

Most importantly a realist. 2 games into the season, both teams are undefeated, and you are brave enough to call a Knox win by 20.

Last year, Trinity lbeat Knox twice, is it possible for them to reverse that form in 12 months?

My point is this, they are both good sides, however I think the trip out to Summer Hill, whilst not Death Valley, will be playing on the minds of the boys from Knox

Coupled with their last 2 defeats, a 20 plus point smashing by Knox over Trinity, is very brave or maybe foolish.

We will both know at 4:45 on Saturday afternoon, but I think the green machine will take out a 3rd Victory on the trot.

The Guardian, thought so! haha

Good to see the keen and competitive spirit!

Last years form does tell some story, but Knox 1st XV 2013 to 2014 is remarkably different. Apparently the issue last year was that the year 12's weren't committed to playing as a whole group, where as this year the team culture is reportedly rich and diverse were each player treasures the privilegeto wear the white thistle upon their chest.

I guess we will see at the conclusion of Saturday, but I'm sticking by Knox by 20!

waterboy

Frank Row (1)
From what i know about 16's playing opens in 2014

Alo's had Matt Dainton who trained with the 1s squad
Barker had no one in year 10 up in the 1sts squad
Cranbrook had Andrew Spira who played 1 game before getting moved down to the 16s, Ed Renton who played 2 games before he got injured and from what i Hear another boy his making his debut on the wing for the 1s this weekend.
Knox has only one player up in the 1st XV who plays in the second row (not sure of his name)
Trinity have James Wayland in there team who seems to be a permentant starter along with the inside centre Ryan. Jordan Morris played 1 game in the 1's before getting put back into the 16s.
Waverley Have many boys coming of the bench for the 1s but no permentant starters I'm quite sure Tyszac Bailey and Jaya Yoanidis have played 2 games each in the 1s along with Liam molloy.

There seems to be a lot of talent in the age group
Rasch, who has been the strength of the Trinity line out, is also an U16

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Tough to pick after just two games, but we should know a great deal more about how the competition is shaping up by Saturday evening. My prediction is that by that time Knox and Cranbrook will be the only undefeated teams in the comp.

Trinity v Knox
In two rounds Knox have continued to build on impressive pre-season form and has already scored an incredible 96 points. However, they’ve also let through 38 in just two games, including 31 last week, so Trinity will feel that if they can defend well, utilise their very solid set piece play and eliminate errors, then they can pull off the first big upset of the 2014 CAS season. Trinity has scored 65 and conceded 28 in two games, with only Cranbrook's defence being more parsimonious at this early stage of the season (24 conceded), and with Trinity only letting through 8 points against Aloys last week. Knox surely start as fairly strong favourites and are plainly a good front running side, but if Trinity can put in a big defensive effort, contain Knox’s attack and build scoreboard pressure for long enough into the game it could get interesting. Trinity looks to be an improving side, having improved markedly in each half of football they have played this year, while Knox was massively hyped pre-season and has not disappointed in attack, with 15 tries their first two outings. In what looks like the match of the round I’m expecting that Knox’s attacking prowess will see the team from Wahroonga come out on top.

Waverley v Cranbrook
Waverley hosts Cranbrook, who will be looking to build on two comprehensive victories to gain further momentum before a mouth-watering clash against Knox a week later. It’s hard to fault Cranbrook’s start to the season, with two comfortable wins, having conceded only three tries in two games and with Renton’s accurate kicking adding a clinical element to the disposals of Aloys and Barker. That said, Cranbrook has possibly played the two weakest attacking sides in the competition to date and Paterson’s penetration from fly-half for Waverley will likely see the Cranbrook line broken more often than it was by either Barker or Aloys, neither of whose attack has clicked into gear yet in 2014. Waverley’s big worry will be having conceded 98 points in the first two rounds, but things change quickly in schoolboy rugby and I’m sure the Waverley boys will run out at Queen’s Park with a point to prove defensively. I predict Cranbrook to take the points, but for an improving Waverley to make them work hard for it.

Barker v St Aloysius

In the final game of the round Barker hosts Aloys. These teams have managed to score just 39 points between them in the first two rounds. By contrast, on their own, Knox has managed a whopping 96, Cranbrook 66, Trinity 65 and Waverley 51. Both sides will be looking to improve, and Barker will be looking to put a difficult first two games against Knox and Cranbrook behind them and get their season going. I’m expecting Barker’s home ground advantage to see them home, but Aloys are in with a red hot chance of leaving Barker improbably winless three rounds in.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Knox to flog Trinity (size n skill)
Cranbrook to beat Waverley (steady play)
Barker to beat Aloys (well drilled)

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Knox have one U16 (second rower) in the firsts plus two other boys in the U16's who made NSW U15's last year (centre/winger and fullback).

Aloys policy is not to play Year 10 boys in Opens. One was in NSW U15's last year (five-eight) and another who probably would have made it if not injured back then (half, centre or fullback).

Pretty sure Barker have none.

I'm not sure about that - I believe u have to be a certain weight for safety reasons - the current firsts 7 is in year 10 from Aloysius

The sixteens players u were mentioning Dainton and Slaven show a lot of promise. Slaven can play any position in the backline and Dainton is the best fly half in his age group - his brother in the firsts is also doing a good job too at the same position!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
U16s Tyzac Bailey started as fullback for Waverley 1sts last week and will again this week as far as I know (played U16s Round 1). Jaya Yoannidis has played twice as a replacement and Liam Molloy once (or twice) as a replacement

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
So what we have so far with U16s playing or who have played 1sts so far:

Trinity - 4 ? - James Wayland
Jordan Morris
Rasch
Knox - 1 - a second rower

Alos - 1 - Matt Danton (number 7)

Cranbrook - 3 - Ed Renton
Andrew Spira
Waverley - 3 - Tyzac Bailey - fullback, fly half or half
Jaya Yoannidis - wing or centre
Liam Molloy - forward flanker
Barker - 1 ?

Can we put some names and different positions they can play next to the players.
As well as other stand outs playing in the U16s comp?

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
For Trinity the fourth is Ryan Longville, who played wing in round 1 and inside centre in round 2 and is the goal kicker.

Blackdog

Bob McCowan (2)
U16 for Knox in the 1st is the 4 Basson. The number 15 Bosch has also had game time in both games but at halfback. Pretty sure the number 5 Margin got on in the first round as well. Other one to watch at Knox is the 12 Armstrong. He and Bosch carved up the Waves backs last weekend.

Haven't heard it from in the school but see by Gus Goulds column in the Herald yesterday that Easts U18s after their win last weekend travel to QLD this weekend for the interstate final. I assume that will mean Knox will be without Watson again which I think weakens their backline in both attack and defence and will give Trinty a real chance this weekend.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Wayland is a loose forward, Rasch is a second rower and Morris is an outside back.

I'm fairly certain that all of Wayland, Morris and Longville are year 10 boys, so we'll likely see a bit of them over the next 3 years.

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
The NRL Junior Rep National Finals are on this Sat 17th in Townsville Qld but Knox player Watson is not listed in the 19 man squad for the SG Ball U18s game, so he might play for Knox?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
being a Stats man, interesting to see that of the 24 games played between Knox and Waverley (last weekend), Knox won 13 and Waverley won 11, Knox however scored 609 points to Waverley's 413 points

so on the face of it, that is a pretty clear win to Knox

however if we look at junior rugby ... ie 15s and below

Knox won 4 games, and Waverley 11

with Knox scoring 264 points to Waverley's 337

so my conclusion, based on a very unscientific basis, is the Knox rugby programme is working .... they start with weaker juniors (surprising given the strength of Gordon rep teams), and by the 16s and Opens, they are playing better

personally given Waverley is so weak in so many other sports, I would love to see Waves, taking measures to see their programme improved

bring back the glory days .... :)

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
It's early but from info so far ...

NORTH HARBOUR

Knox - Basson - no 4; Bosch - 15 or 9; Margin - 5; Armstrong - 12

Alos - Matt Danton - 7

Barker - ?

SOUTH HARBOUR

Cranbrook - Ed Renton - ?; Andrew Spira - ?

Trinity - Ryan Longville - wing or inside centre; James Wayland - loose forward; Jordan Morris - outside back; Rasch - 2nd row

Waverley - Tyzac Bailey - 15, 10 or 9; Jaya Yoannidis - centre or wing; Liam Molloy - loose forward

I'm sure there will be plenty more players to add.
Fill in the blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.