• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Well said Snort. The Cranbrook 1sts are a very disciplined and confident team. Their structure sees them make use of every one of their 15 players. There was a lot of kicking in the first half but it looked more like an indication of just how calculating that team play - very mature. They aren't looking to score tries - they want to win and their responses are all tactical. I've seen it twice now against Waverley last week also. They will play to their structure and when they are confident that the game is theirs then they'll play a more natural game.
Interestingly, the 2nds game was very different and I'd suggest that the only touch their wingers got in the whole game was the one time that it resulted in a try. There must be 15 boys there who are desperate to be a part of that 1sts squad.

I haven't seen Cranbrook play this year but this talk about structured play was exactly what I was thinking when I watched Knox play Trinity a couple of rounds ago.

Kicking from their 22, going for field position, and only unleashing the back line in opposition territory. Only late in the second half, when the game was well and truly won, did they start throwing the ball around.

I'm curious as to whether this level of discipline and structure, at school boys level, is what a professional coaching set up brings. Does Cranbrook have a similar coaching structure?

S

sidelineview

That's where he ended up but I'm pretty sure he did some time with the Brothers.

Finnane was tough and got the job done in a diferent era. He was maligned for doing so, but shortened up Welsh hard man Steve Price in the third Test in Brisbane 1978 after Wales monstered the Wallabies in the previous Test in Sydney...

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Piglet

Very good question regarding the coaching.

The issue with Cranbrook's 1st half kicking on the weekend was that they regularly kicked away possession when in Trinity's half, or close to Trinity's half, and often ended up with a contested line out around the same place, or further back, from where they kicked from.

It was presumably a tactic, and it's hard to criticise such a dominant performance, but the first half kicking was the one area where I think they pulled the wrong rein on the weekend. Of course, they may have been deliberately testing young Longville at 15, but he did a great job returning most of the kicks with interest, including from acute angles at times.

Trinity was severely weakened with perhaps their top 5 players out (Barkley-Brown, McClellan, Corias, Fish, Siteine) and I suspect even a full strength Trinity would have made Cranbrook pay for squandering possession on attack. Certainly from what I've seen to date Knox will.

It will be interesting to see what approach Cranbrook takes next week against Knox, because they were scintillating when running the ball in the second half.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Both Knox and Cranbrook are very fit.
They have started steadily against opposition sides who have come out strongly and then as they assert their dominance they have poured on the points in the second half - some of which is due to fitness.
I expect this weekend's game to go down to the wire with not much in it.

Blackdog

Bob McCowan (2)
Snort, re the '77 Knox side they also had Rob Horton and Andy Brink who both played first grade soon after and I think Horton represented Sydney as well. And your memory is pretty good as Aloys won it in '78.
Also re your recent post and the Cranbrook side of '79 - Dave Alexander is still in the bush but he is making the journey to Horden on Saturday for the Knox clash. A number of CAS first spots to be decided then no doubt - can't wait.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Talking about past players I remember watching in 2010 I think (maybe 2009) Cranbrook and the fullback was extremely impressive. I have no idea of his name but his organisation and communication were very impressive

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Talking about past players I remember watching in 2010 I think (maybe 2009) Cranbrook and the fullback was extremely impressive. I have no idea of his name but his organisation and communication were very impressive

Will Fay? If so he plays 1st grade for Easts

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Of recent times Aloys can boast a pretty successful team of old boys:
Bernard Foley 2007 - Waratahs/Wallabies
Pat McCabe 2005 - Brumbies/Wallabies
Tom Kingston 2009 - Rebels/Waratahs
Jono Owen 2003 - Reds/Brumbies
Dylan Goodearl/Harry Williams 2013 - Both missed out on NSW through injury, possibly more
Pat Kennedy 2011 - NSW schoolboys/Manly Sea Eagles u20s
Ben Shorter 2008 - Manly Sea Eagles u20s
Tom Morrison 2011 - NSW schoolboys
Jack Grant 2010 - Australia 7s

Shorter is now playing for Eastwood had a good stint playing league in France

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllYouHux

Frank Row (1)
Of recent times Aloys can boast a pretty successful team of old boys:
Bernard Foley 2007 - Waratahs/Wallabies
Pat McCabe 2005 - Brumbies/Wallabies
Tom Kingston 2009 - Rebels/Waratahs
Jono Owen 2003 - Reds/Brumbies
Dylan Goodearl/Harry Williams 2013 - Both missed out on NSW through injury, possibly more
Pat Kennedy 2011 - NSW schoolboys/Manly Sea Eagles u20s
Ben Shorter 2008 - Manly Sea Eagles u20s
Tom Morrison 2011 - NSW schoolboys
Jack Grant 2010 - Australia 7s

Would be interesting to consider some of the players pre 2000's, if i remember correctly, Aloysius won the premiership in 1978, surely there were some players from that team worthy of a mention? I know Paul Rowland played fullback for Warringah 1st grade for years.
Also, it'll be good to see how the current 16's crop turns out - both Slaven and Dainton have represented NSW in their age group... watch this space

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Would be interesting to consider some of the players pre 2000's, if i remember correctly, Aloysius won the premiership in 1978, surely there were some players from that team worthy of a mention? I know Paul Rowland played fullback for Warringah 1st grade for years.
Also, it'll be good to see how the current 16's crop turns out - both Slaven and Dainton have represented NSW in their age group. watch this space
Rodney Homann, centre, made NSW 2s in 78

S

sidelineview

Wav col 7-11 went to Vaucluse 11 (repeat) and 12. Won the opens inter school boxing at waverley as a year 9 kid

left in year 10 or 11? anyway, Finnane went to Vaucluse and he was the heavyweight boxing champion of Waverley at the age of 15 such was his boxing ability and toughness.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes sorry. Damon Anderson would have been the fullback he was referring to.

Two of the better rugby players Cranbrook has produced in the last decade or so.
Wasn't he playing aus sevens at one stage (Anderson)

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Match of the round coming up :

Knox vs Cranbrook - Knox by 14 in a tight contest with a penalty or two separating the sides at half time

Aloys vs Waverley - aloys by 10 in a tight one

Barker vs Trinity - barker by 20+

Status
Not open for further replies.