• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarnes43

Frank Row (1)
CHS vs CAS 2nd XV

The game was hard-fought and resulted in a draw. I thought CAS had the had the upper hand and were unlucky not to clench the V. CAS had some outstanding players; their replacement halfback #14 throws a great pass and has the boot of Johnny Wilkinson in his prime; The second rower #19 was superb when he set foot on the hallow turf. He was busy all game and always willing to carry the ball forward. He is an absolute workhorse from my point of view. These 2 boys, im not sure which school they attend, but im sure whichever team they are in, must be having a phenomenal season. One of the starting second rowers, im not sure which one, seemed lethargic, slow to the ball and unwilling in defence, they should seriously consider filling in this gap with anyone... I think Waverley's 3rds halfback could do a better job...

Thats all I can add for the 2s sorry i couldnt stay for the 1s.

Johnny B Out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was exciting at the end of the Twos match.

CAS had a relatively easy penalty kick at goal to win the game but unfortunately for them the lad who took the shot (no need to mention names) missed it comfortably and the ref blew the full-time whistle straight afterwards.

But credit CHS for coming back. They were down 5-19 at oranges but scored three tries to one in the 2nd half fighting hard to tie it up.

I think it was four tries each all up, 26-all.

There is a blog on the Ones game here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/cas-beat-chs-in-first-nsw-schools-trial/

CHS also fought back in this game but not quite enough for parity this time.

rugbyfanatic91

Stan Wickham (3)
CAS 16s ( selections as of 6th June )
1st XV - C Grindall ( K ), M Swallow ( T ), T Anstey ( B ), H Margin ( K ), L Rasch ( T ), M Horsley ( K ), N Hrdina ( A ), M Basson ( K ), R Butler ( K ), M Dainton ( A ), J Yoannidis ( W ), J Morris ( T ), J Armstrong ( K ), S Hasegawa ( B ), L Bosch ( K ), E Stene ( A ), J Wayland ( T ), E Miscallef ( W ), L Ireland ( K ), C Molla ( T ), T Bailey ( W ), R Longville ( T ), P Slaven ( A ),
Coaches - Mr K Ikeuchi & Mr G Clifton-Smith ( B ),
Physio - Mrs N Veverka
A pretty strong looking team, A bit confused as to why Spira (C) and Stewart (C) were not selected in the team. Both boys have been stand outs in the CAS 16s competition this year and both have gorton 1st XV game time. Spira was one of the best players on the field (if not the best) yesterday. Scoring a fantastic individual try.

Another question i would like to ask is why James Wayland (T) is on the bench. He has played the whole season in the 1s and scored a good individual try yesterday. Do not see how he they can put him on the bench.....

The Guardian

Bob McCowan (2)
1st XV - C Grindall ( K ), M Swallow ( T ), T Anstey ( B ), H Margin ( K ), L Rasch ( T ), M Horsley ( K ), N Hrdina ( A ), M Basson ( K ), R Butler ( K ), M Dainton ( A ), J Yoannidis ( W ), J Morris ( T ), J Armstrong ( K ), S Hasegawa ( B ), L Bosch ( K ), E Stene ( A ), J Wayland ( T ), E Miscallef ( W ), L Ireland ( K ), C Molla ( T ), T Bailey ( W ), R Longville ( T ), P Slaven ( A ),
Physio - Mrs N Veverka
A pretty strong looking team, A bit confused as to why Spira (C) and Stewart (C) were not selected in the team. Both boys have been stand outs in the CAS 16s competition this year and both have gorton 1st XV game time. Spira was one of the best players on the field (if not the best) yesterday. Scoring a fantastic individual try.

Another question i would like to ask is why James Wayland (T) is on the bench. He has played the whole season in the 1s and scored a good individual try yesterday. Do not see how he they can put him on the bench...

Wayland on the bench? Really??

That kid is a quality footballer, and having that strike power off the bench is something that would make coach Ikeuchi a very happy man.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Is Spira injured? If not, there seems no point playing trials, because he was the best player on the field for either side I thought, with a high work rate, good meters on a wet day and he showed a good turn of pace for his try.

Wayland has scored 3 or 4 tries in the 1st XV this year playing at number 8. He scored a good individual try for South in the trial, scoring from a tap. He was playing at prop in the trial. A strange decision to play him in the front row for the trial? In any event, he is strong in the set pieces, including as a ball winner from the kick off, is a strong ball runner and an aggressive defender.

Longville would also have to count himself unlucky to be coming off the bench.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just noticed that Australia's team for the Rugby League nines, at the Commonwealth Games, will be the Sydney Roosters SG Ball team. Connor Watson has been named, I wonder if Knox will give the green light for this and, if so, will that rule him out of any higher rep honours for the year in union?

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Was Spira in 6 for South?
Yes
Outstanding in the trials and has been outstanding in the competition wether playing 1st XV or 16As.
The selectors must be blind not to pick him as the number 1 selection for CAS
Quite bizarre really - I cannot understand this except if he is injured.

Ruddigar Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes
Outstanding in the trials and has been outstanding in the competition wether playing 1st XV or 16As.
The selectors must be blind not to pick him as the number 1 selection for CAS
Quite bizarre really - I cannot understand this except if he is injured.

Seems a little unjustified, given Cranbrook have gotten a bit of a whipping in most of their 16A matches this year. Maybe he's a bad team player? Having a kid with an ego that is too hard to coach in a representative team is always not worth your while.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems a little unjustified, given Cranbrook have gotten a bit of a whipping in most of their 16A matches this year. Maybe he's a bad team player? Having a kid with an ego that is too hard to coach in a representative team is always not worth your while.
Just a silly thing to say based on no substantiation whatsoever.

rugbyfanatic91

Stan Wickham (3)
Well ah you are the one asking for a reason? I'm giving you one? Take the hint that there might be a bit more 'substantiation' behind it than you think.

Ive had much to do with Andrew Spira and haven't seen much of this ego you speak of?.... Seems to be a kid that trains his ass off and loves doing it.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Physio - Mrs N Veverka

Another question i would like to ask is why James Wayland (T) is on the bench. He has played the whole season in the 1s and scored a good individual try yesterday. Do not see how he they can put him on the bench...

Wayland (T) and Slaven (A) on the bench I could only see as perhaps two big impact players coming on to an unweary opposition.

However i would start both of them - Slaven at least anywhere in the backline. I think the thinking is he may be wasted at 9 (even though playing this position for state for many years) and that he can come in and open up the game possibly in the second half.

Still feel it's not in the best interests of the team to not have him on the field the whole time

Wayland also should be on for the majority of the game in my opinion but let's hope the selectors know what they are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, Saturday is the last round before the mid-year break. On paper, the games don't look all that gripping - you'd expect Cranbrook to account for Barker and Knox to win over Waverley. The closest one is Trinity v St Aloysius, and there you'd think home ground advantage would give Trinity the edge.

Anyone see an upset on the cards anywhere?

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook and Barker looks to be the only game that has potential to spark much interest. Cranbrook are obviously red hot favourites, but Barker have been building into the season and Cranbrook need to maintain the rage after a big win over Knox and then the break.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook and Barker looks to be the only game that has potential to spark much interest. Cranbrook are obviously red hot favourites, but Barker have been building into the season and Cranbrook need to maintain the rage after a big win over Knox and then the break.

Certainly Barker looks like the most likely banana skin for the two leaders. There have been any number of times in the past when the Knox-Barker match has produced a win for the underdog. Barker-Cranbrook doesn't carry quite the same resonance, but Cranbrook can't take things lightly this week. I doubt they will - when your school hasn't won a competition in your lifetime, you don't take anything for granted.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Certainly Barker looks like the most likely banana skin for the two leaders. There have been any number of times in the past when the Knox-Barker match has produced a win for the underdog. Barker-Cranbrook doesn't carry quite the same resonance, but Cranbrook can't take things lightly this week. I doubt they will - when your school hasn't won a competition in your lifetime, you don't take anything for granted.

Quite often it is not the team that you expect you could potentially 'slip up' on that causes the upset. You're certainly right about the Barker vs Knox fixtures - especially now with the 2 round calendar. I think that out of the 4 years it's been implemented we have had an even split of victories between both schools (not including this year). In 2011 Knox beat Barker in round 1 37-12 I think (something along those lines). Barker went on to produce a rather mediocre season and then finished with a surprise win over Knox. The following year the exact opposite happened. Truly anything can happen in those games - and that is something that Cranbrook can take some comfort in as the gap between Barker and Knox (in terms of confidence and ability) seems to be thinning throughout this season.

Will this weekend be a good game? Perhaps, but you'd be banking on cranbrook to win. Kirkby and Smerdon are back for barker this time and the forward pack for barker has matured and settled a bit since their last encounter with cranbrook but I don't think it will be quite enough. If anything will win it for Barker it will be the fact that they will play with as much zeal as they did against trinity a man down - knowing that their season is on the line.

If I were their coach I would be constantly reminding the boys of that in training now. Focus on your game, work to your game, and play extremely physical. You come out hard in the first 15 and rattle the Cranbrook boys, put some points on early and all of a sudden they're reminded that they've got something to lose and you don't. Easier said than done but if the Barker forwards can knuckle down like they did in those last 15-20 minutes against Trinity then they certainly could win, but they'd need to maintain it for a whole game. Jono Green needs to step up again and be vocal, because it's something these boys have been lacking this year.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Notice the Battle of the Hill is coming up on 12 July. Anyone want to comment on how they think the teams will fair against one another? Not just in respect of the 1st XV, but the other games as well.

baboom

Frank Row (1)
Notice the Battle of the Hill is coming up on 12 July. Anyone want to comment on how they think the teams will fair against one another? Not just in respect of the 1st XV, but the other games as well.
I believe that both the 1st Xv game and the 16a game will be very close, more so the 16a's. The cranbrook 14's side will get destroyed and i predict the 15a team cranbrook side to lose by 10. The cranbrook 13a team will win aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.