• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Some boys there I would be sussing out (at all schools, including Waves), no names, but lets be honest with ourselves, it's at a point, were it's probably being used at every school (not condoned by the school by any means), but we'll never know.

Lets not be oblivious to the ever developing world of sports science and technology. But no one has anything to worry about if your not involved.

Probably?

Do any schools or associations currently test for performance enhancing drugs?

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Any thoughts on the fact that CAS doesn't test for performance enhancing drugs?
This is schoolboy rugby and we are meant to be honoured as a group representing our schools knowing that you have put in the effort to play at such a high level.
I don't know how someone can be proud knowing that the skill he has doesn't actually come from raw talent, hard work and commitment.
CAS needs to start testing.
What are you implying here?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
IMO and not implying anything but it is hard to imagine a 115kg 16yr boy benching 185kg without some form of assistance. I may be wrong but I would think that not many of the current Wallabies could do that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These assertions about PED happen from time to time.

This is not really the place to discuss them, neither should we be discussing any particular individual efforts from a gymnasium.

It will invariably end up in tears.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
This is schoolboy rugby and we are meant to be honoured as a group representing our schools knowing that you have put in the effort to play at such a high level.
I don't know how someone can be proud knowing that the skill he has doesn't actually come from raw talent, hard work and commitment.
The sheer cost of the program is not worth trying to find the one boy in every twenty years that might consider PED.

Boys are just bigger and stronger because of the more advanced programs and better nutrition. My boy is playing this year, and noticed him getting stronger and fitter over the summer, you know why? He was going to the gym under instruction from the school strength and conditioning coach 2 times a week and doing his own gym work twice a week and eating a lot of food. that's the basics, boys didn't do this 20 years ago, now if they don't, they won't make the firsts or seconds.

S

sidelineview

The sheer cost of the program is not worth trying to find the one boy in every twenty years that might consider PED.

Boys are just bigger and stronger because of the more advanced programs and better nutrition. My boy is playing this year, and noticed him getting stronger and fitter over the summer, you know why? He was going to the gym under instruction from the school strength and conditioning coach 2 times a week and doing his own gym work twice a week and eating a lot of food. that's the basics, boys didn't do this 20 years ago, now if they don't, they won't make the firsts or seconds.

I agree. It seems a strange topic to discuss. It can only lead to assumptions.
A lot of the boys work hard in the gym and as you've mentioned students can choose to do a fitness and strength program as a summer sport, to prepare for the rugby season.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

Truly, what a weird post.

First - learn something about performance-enhancing drugs. They are not a substitute for "hard work and commitment". What they do is to allow muscles to recover more quickly after exercise so that you can train more. Athletes who use performance enhancing drugs train more, and more intensely, than those who don't. I'm not for a minute justifying it, but the idea that there's a dichotomy between drug cheats and people who train hard is just ignorant.

Second - in several decades of watching CAS Rugby, it has never once occurred to me that this is a problem. Maybe one or two kids in all that time have made me do a double-take, but of course you can achieve bulk without using illegal drugs.

Third - no one has any right to test. People actually have a right NOT to be tested. Some sportsmen consent to testing when they sign contracts or competition registration forms. That doesn't happen in school rugby, nor is there any reason why it should.

So settle down.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I disagree, there should be some form of vigilance in schools with regards to PED and there should be some form of testing. As stated in a previous post if you don't take it you needn't worry, right?

C

Crash Ball SS

Heres My 16's CaS team with most if not all playing firsts this year for their respective clubs. Being a ex cranbrook boy i will try not be biased.
1 Finn Wright (W)
2 Daniel Buffa (B)
3 Max Cutrone (K)
4 Ben Pierce (K)
5 Mac Northcote (B)
6 Jonathon Stenning (K)
7 Matt Coghill (B)
8 Nick Frost (K)
9 Lachlan Townsend (W)
10 Sam Millard (B)
11 Will Lloyd (B)
12 Charlie Kellaway (K)
13 Falito van Woerkom (B)
14 Cooper May (B)
15 Mike Pavlakis (K)

Charlie Kellaway? Never heard of that boy before.

S

sidelineview

I disagree, there should be some form of vigilance in schools with regards to PED and there should be some form of testing. As stated in a previous post if you don't take it you needn't worry, right?

I'm sure any diligent sports master/PE teacher would follow up on any suspicions regarding any students, if for no other reason, than for that students welfare. There's no need for testing or a need to discuss it. As stated before it leads to assumptions, innuendo and silly postings on the topic.
Snort explained it well.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think we may be getting of the topic of Rugby here, where the focus should be on playing the game of rugby and pitting your natural skills against that of another. I hope that this is also the focus of the coaches and boys.

MODS NOTE: See Post #650. No more discussion of PED, Testing for PED etc on this thread. Warnings have been issued. Posts will be zapped.

hero719

Frank Row (1)
Max Cutrone? best prop at knox at the moment not only for his technique but raw power and strength, any chance of CAS XV? thoughts

grunt123

Frank Row (1)
Heres My 16's CaS team with most if not all playing firsts this year for their respective clubs. Being a ex cranbrook boy i will try not be biased.
1 Finn Wright (W)
2 Daniel Buffa (B)
3 Max Cutrone (K)
4 Ben Pierce (K)
5 Mac Northcote (B)
6 Jonathon Stenning (K)
7 Matt Coghill (B)
8 Nick Frost (K)
9 Lachlan Townsend (W)
10 Sam Millard (B)
11 Will Lloyd (B)
12 Charlie Kellaway (K)
13 Falito van Woerkom (B)
14 Cooper May (B)
15 Mike Pavlakis (K)

Ben Pierce would that happen to be the brother of Knox loose forward from last year Jake Pierce?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook's running lines showing depleted backs ... no Wilson, and no Renton ... both unavailable

Studdy is listed in 2nds, and then Tom Hill in the forwards, is also listed unavailable.

Guessing Waverley will be missing Tyzac

so I don't hold a lot of hope for a tight match there ... 16As might be the match of the day

with Cornish returning was my mail.

interesting that Cranbrook 16As travelling OK, yet no one thinks any players (barr Stenmark) are CAS Rep contenders

from Waverley ... Szabo at 8 is one that I rate, that seems not to be getting much mention

Tips: Knox in a cricket score, Waverley similarly and Aloys in a tight one

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Cranbrook's running lines showing depleted backs . no Wilson, and no Renton . both unavailable

Studdy is listed in 2nds, and then Tom Hill in the forwards, is also listed unavailable.

Guessing Waverley will be missing Tyzac

so I don't hold a lot of hope for a tight match there . 16As might be the match of the day

with Cornish returning was my mail.

interesting that Cranbrook 16As travelling OK, yet no one thinks any players (barr Stenmark) are CAS Rep contenders

from Waverley . Szabo at 8 is one that I rate, that seems not to be getting much mention

Tips: Knox in a cricket score, Waverley similarly and Aloys in a tight one
Heard Cornish wasn't back for another month or so, interesting if he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.