• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

It's a fine achievement to get to the 1st XI in Year 8 - hell, even I didn't make it until Year 9. But so far in the competition, the player you're referring to has done very well, and taken ten wickets at a touch under 22 each. That's a great effort for a Year 8 kid, but does not fall within any known definition of "blitzing them."

Its all relative Snort .... taking wickets when needed ... getting that dominant batsman out at the right time when no one else could, even though he's hit you for some good runs. Stats don't tell the full story.
CAS ran a T20 Comp as well; some players who haven't performed so well in the regular comp excelled. The little leggie got some good wickets as well.

M

M squad 2015

That's a subjective opinion.

You can't blame people for complaining about young players being favoured over older boys for 1st XV (or 1st XI). It's an argument that is had each year and usually by parents of older kids in the 2nds; it's understandable.

But last year the best teams were chosen for Wave 1st XV in my opinion. The coaches weren't shy of picking the best team regardless of outside opinion and regardless of the age of the players. What needs to be considered is a player, regardless of his age, needs to be able to handle the pressure of playing 1st XV. Age doesn't guarantee that or discount that. 'If you're good enough, you're old enough'. All 'youngens' from last season's Waves 1st XV performed well; some better than others and helped the team be successful after a rocky start.

The Waves cricket team is running a close 2nd now with a young Year 8 leg spinner in the team who is blitzing them. He is the best leggie in the school and handles it.

Coaches will be criticised no matter what team they pick; 'par for the course'. And parents of older boys in the 2nds or 3rds will complain.

You seem to be strongly affiliated with Waverley, then i assume you would be familiar with the last game tradition of letting the year 12s play their last moment of rugby in the 'double v'? why was this not repeated after however long it had been in the tradition of rugby - it would not have changed the out come of the waverley season - food for thought as to why they would stop that?

M

M squad 2015

Its all relative Snort .. taking wickets when needed . getting that dominant batsman out at the right time when no one else could, even though he's hit you for some good runs. Stats don't tell the full story.
CAS ran a T20 Comp as well; some players who haven't performed so well in the regular comp excelled. The little leggie got some good wickets as well.

Spectating both of waverley's T20 games - it appeared this leggie took his wickets as batsmen went for the big hit and got caught /stumped or bowled. Lets not make this a page about cricket but the common denominator is within the selector of both first XI and first XV - maybe we will see an even younger waverley first XV this year!

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
I look at how strong an age groups B team is for a guide. Both 15As and 15Bs were cas premiers in 2014, so personally I think In 2015 best chance for waverley is in 16As . However hope that doesn't put the moka on them

Whereas in 15As (last years 14As) think they have several exceptional players (2 in particular), but don't see that many b players that are knocking on the door

Always think it is smart to put some of best coaches on the b teams and 2nds
. And I see knox having more strong b teams, across the board . Would be curious to know how many cas premierships were won last year by knox

Unless I am mistaken barker won the 2nd xv, in 2014, pipping knox

funny u say that i thought the same thing about the 14s last year who are the 2 players you are talking about tho?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
funny u say that i thought the same thing about the 14s last year who are the 2 players you are talking about tho?
Don't want to name any names, scots already poached the single best kid from this age group ... Although the great thing about these kids is I don't reckon scots could get them ... Some things just aren't for sale

Either way reckon these 2 have the pedigree, talent , potential etc to knock on the door of Aussie schoolboys one day ... Although early days and hope they have a good coach in 2015, to keep them on the straight and narrow, as I know there are distractions

Anyway more interested in opens .... Knox had some real scholarship stars last year, are any of them returning or are there new bursary stars?

Open Side

Bob McCowan (2)
That's a subjective opinion.

You can't blame people for complaining about young players being favoured over older boys for 1st XV (or 1st XI). It's an argument that is had each year and usually by parents of older kids in the 2nds; it's understandable.

But last year the best teams were chosen for Wave 1st XV in my opinion. The coaches weren't shy of picking the best team regardless of outside opinion and regardless of the age of the players. What needs to be considered is a player, regardless of his age, needs to be able to handle the pressure of playing 1st XV. Age doesn't guarantee that or discount that. 'If you're good enough, you're old enough'. All 'youngens' from last season's Waves 1st XV performed well; some better than others and helped the team be successful after a rocky start.

The Waves cricket team is running a close 2nd now with a young Year 8 leg spinner in the team who is blitzing them. He is the best leggie in the school and handles it.

Coaches will be criticised no matter what team they pick; 'par for the course'. And parents of older boys in the 2nds or 3rds will complain.
As will Grandparents.Consider this....if your Yr 12 son or grandson is overlooked for the 1st XV next year for a younger player ...will you be happy ? I doubt it.
Many believe Waverley's Coaches didn't pick the best 1st VX last year....or in 2013.Some of the younger players did well last year , some not so well...yet held their spots in the team.
A few years ago a Waverley Yr 8 / 9 student was selected in the Cricket 1st X1. He was quite a talented young player but understandably he lacked maturity at that age. He didn't really perfom yet kept his spot and this led to tensions within the 1st X1 team with YR 11/12 players and placed unnecessary pressure on the young boy. He never really showed the talent he was deemed to have by the expert coaches and he lost confidence. Finally he was "dropped" back to his correct age team but the decision was communicated poorly and his father pulled him out of School Cricket completely. Since then he has played Grade Cricket with guys in their 20's & 30's however,he never played Cricket again for his School. A real tragedy for this young guy and Waverley's loss because the 1st X1 would have been a lot stronger in the past 2 years had he played with his correct Age group cohort. One of these Cricket coaches is involved with the 1st XV LY and again TY.

S

sidelineview

You seem to be strongly affiliated with Waverley, then i assume you would be familiar with the last game tradition of letting the year 12s play their last moment of rugby in the 'double v'? why was this not repeated after however long it had been in the tradition of rugby - it would not have changed the out come of the waverley season - food for thought as to why they would stop that?

I can't answer that; I can only assume they (the relevant coaches) picked the best team on the day each week (in their opinion). I suppose a Double V player earns his spot in the team and if some players end up playing their last game in the 2nds, that's just the way it is. I doubt if Waverley would have won their last game against Trinity unless they picked their strongest team.
Winning the game must have been more important than giving some 2nds players a go in the Double V, as nice a gesture as that may have been.
It's up to the coaches/school to adopt the policy; I can see both sides of the argument but it is what it is.

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't want to name any names, scots already poached the single best kid from this age group . Although the great thing about these kids is I don't reckon scots could get them . Some things just aren't for sale

Either way reckon these 2 have the pedigree, talent , potential etc to knock on the door of Aussie schoolboys one day . Although early days and hope they have a good coach in 2015, to keep them on the straight and narrow, as I know there are distractions

Anyway more interested in opens .. Knox had some real scholarship stars last year, are any of them returning or are there new bursary stars?
i think i know who you are talking about, i saw this age group play last year 1 back 1 forward right?

S

sidelineview

As will Grandparents.Consider this..if your Yr 12 son or grandson is overlooked for the 1st XV next year for a younger player .will you be happy ? I doubt it.
Many believe Waverley's Coaches didn't pick the best 1st VX last year..or in 2013.Some of the younger players did well last year , some not so well.yet held their spots in the team.
A few years ago a Waverley Yr 8 / 9 student was selected in the Cricket 1st X1. He was quite a talented young player but understandably he lacked maturity at that age. He didn't really perfom yet kept his spot and this led to tensions within the 1st X1 team with YR 11/12 players and placed unnecessary pressure on the young boy. He never really showed the talent he was deemed to have by the expert coaches and he lost confidence. Finally he was "dropped" back to his correct age team but the decision was communicated poorly and his father pulled him out of School Cricket completely. Since then he has played Grade Cricket with guys in their 20's & 30's however,he never played Cricket again for his School. A real tragedy for this young guy and Waverley's loss because the 1st X1 would have been a lot stronger in the past 2 years had he played with his correct Age group cohort. One of these Cricket coaches is involved with the 1st XV LY and again TY.

I wouldn't be happy, but if the younger kid was a better player and he could handle it I'd have to accept it. If it was a line ball call between the two then I'd be really upset; the older kid should always win the spot. The younger players will have their day.

But that comes down to judgement and opinion and it's the coaches call. Coaches for any team can't please everyone.
The Waverley coaches were bagged mercilessly last year about everything from team selections to basic rugby coaching skills and knowledge ... until the 1st XV beat Knox ... then they weren't so bad. Then the season got better.
'S.....t happens' i bet you could mention a lot more positives about that coach than negatives. They all make mistakes.

S

sidelineview

Spectating both of waverley's T20 games - it appeared this leggie took his wickets as batsmen went for the big hit and got caught /stumped or bowled. Lets not make this a page about cricket but the common denominator is within the selector of both first XI and first XV - maybe we will see an even younger waverley first XV this year!

That's how batsmen usually get out to leggies.

No that wont happen; there's plenty of older players to choose from. Quite a few from last year's 1st XV are in Year 12 and some are in Year 11.

There are a couple very promising players who can play U16s this year; they'll be pushing for a spot I suppose but there may not be any room for them.

Kingbrandanhart

Bob McCowan (2)
All the talk of Knox and the extremity and money associated with their Rugby program, it is almost forgotten the occurrences of last season. Cranbrook won the premiership with a team that possessed great cohesion and players that knew their roles and played them to perfection. Waverley also beat Knox at home by showing great spirit and a desire to win, compared to Knox's attitude of "We're better than you". I believe the rugby program of Knox is overhyped and they can be beaten by any CAS team on their day. Chinks in the armour of their rugby team will be exposed and a rugby program and $150 grand coach won't save them.
Couldn't agree with you more !! Know are all talk

M

M squad 2015

There are a couple very promising players who can play U16s this year; they'll be pushing for a spot I suppose but there may not be any room for them.[/quote]

And there you have it folks - that common denominator is looking at younger players again! - It'll be interesting to see teams line up against waves - Men vs children by the looks of it

S

sidelineview

There are a couple very promising players who can play U16s this year; they'll be pushing for a spot I suppose but there may not be any room for them.

And there you have it folks - that common denominator is looking at younger players again! - It'll be interesting to see teams line up against waves - Men vs children by the looks of it[/quote]

You took what was written out of context. Below is the full version.

No that wont happen; there's plenty of older players to choose from. Quite a few from last year's 1st XV are in Year 12 and some are in Year 11.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)

And there you have it folks - that common denominator is looking at younger players again! - It'll be interesting to see teams line up against waves - Men vs children by the looks of it[/quote]
Can assure you it will be quite a mature team this year, majority year 11's and 12's. Maybe one boy in year 10 and if that is the case, I believe it will be in the front row, some big bopper's capable of playing up.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can assure you it will be quite a mature team this year, majority year 11's and 12's. Maybe one boy in year 10 and if that is the case, I believe it will be in the front row, some big bopper's capable of playing up.[/quote]
Weighing in on debate of elevating young ins, you only have to look at last years cranbrook winning team to see that having several senior players in Renton and summerhayes, was massive ... And they obviously got a crack early. (Think summerhayes had 3 years)

However when you take star youngsters out of their age group, it invariably puts a previously strong team into a spin, winners become losers, and some kids drop out, or lose their mojo.

So I think selectors need to be super careful elevating youngsters, and agree while there are several future stars in under 16s, and they could handle the opens, that would crater the 16s, and ruin what should be the best match up of 2015 ... 16a waves v knox at Death Valley

Trinity Player

Frank Row (1)
You're a tough taskmaster, Mr Jarse, but all right. Silly season has started. Silly season is when we all guess about what will happen next year, based on which players we think are returning, how the 15Bs went this year, and so on.

It isn't always easy to predict, though, because things go awry. Sometimes players don't come back - they get expelled, or decide that Pathways isn't for them, or get music scholarships at other schools. Sometimes they come back and break a leg in the first trial game. And sometimes players who are red-hot in Year 11 are so-so in Year 12. All of which is just as well, because it keeps things interesting.

Cranbrook don't have all that many players returning next year. They'll have some good ones, but my guess is they'll come back to the pack. Knox's best players will be gone, but they'll have more depth than anyone. Barker I think will be OK. St Aloysius and Waverley had very young sides this year and should do better in 2015.

Trinity will be interesting, I think. They had some useful young players on deck this year. The side in 2015 could look a bit like this, if they all come back:

1 McLennan
2 Nguyen
4 Rasch
6 Davies
7 Filipo
8 Wayland
9 Gregory
10 Siteine
11 Burland
12 Morris
14 Barbati
15 Longville

The three blank spots would be filled by players who weren't used, or used much, this year. That's twelve players coming back, some of them (like Longville, McLennan, Nguyen and Rasch) very handy indeed. The two questions are, will they come back better players in 2014 than they were in 2015 (because this doens't happen automatically), and will there be players who can cover for them if injuries strike? Molla played CAS Under 16s and looks a useful possibility.

If so, they could aim for a top three finish, I think.

Davies has left the school and i am pretty sure Burland is unable to play because he is too old. Molla and Tonkin and both in contention. Sipu Tuituvake is looking to have a place in the backs also.

William

Allen Oxlade (6)
The 16a game knox V waverly will be a cracker. Knox with a very big point to prove being largely unbeaten for 3 years preceding and Waves beating Knox in an injury effected game

gents - fasten your seatbelts and enjoy

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
May 9 ... Waverley v Knox at D/Valley.

Be curious to know who is coaching Waverley 16As in 2015... and that might be the difference

... shame they can't move the game to be a curtain raiser to 1s ... too often high quality 16As games, go largely unseen.

Knox will have some good build-up games in Joeys and St Augs, and if they come through those unscathed, they might have a good head of steam up, and will have no excuses

Either way, hope they get a high quality ref for that particular 16A match, as I can already hear the whinging if Knox come away robbed :mad:

William

Allen Oxlade (6)
May 9 . Waverley v Knox at D/Valley.

Be curious to know who is coaching Waverley 16As in 2015. and that might be the difference

. shame they can't move the game to be a curtain raiser to 1s . too often high quality 16As games, go largely unseen.

Knox will have some good build-up games in Joeys and St Augs, and if they come through those unscathed, they might have a good head of steam up, and will have no excuses

Either way, hope they get a high quality ref for that particular 16A match, as I can already hear the whinging if Knox come away robbed :mad:

Good point - also a preseason tour to NZ April 6 for around 10 days - Knox will either be smashed with injuries or hardened for Waves......

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)
May 9 . Waverley v Knox at D/Valley.

Be curious to know who is coaching Waverley 16As in 2015. and that might be the difference

. shame they can't move the game to be a curtain raiser to 1s . too often high quality 16As games, go largely unseen.

one of the new teachers at the school apparently he's alright

Status
Not open for further replies.