• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Re Finn wright he is definitely good enough, but if I was waverley coaches I'd be threatening 3rd strike and back to the 16s

Was waverley 16As without Cornish ... Or is he back from injury?

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)
I didn't see the 15As

However I will be keen to see the return match.

If waves are to beat knox they have to find a way to contain knox's centre Tom Cameron

The kid is playing out of his skin for lindfield
And is one to watch in the future

Maybe that is why they were experimenting with murphy in the backs

Waverley were the better team in my opinion just slacked off the first 10 minutes and was to late in the end. Wasen't murphey playing in the forwards last year?

S

sidelineview

Re Finn wright he is definitely good enough, but if I was waverley coaches I'd be threatening 3rd strike and back to the 16s

Was waverley 16As without Cornish . Or is he back from injury?

Still injured. He will come in handy for them when he's fit (?) having already lost Finn Wright and Patrick Clifton to the 1sts.

Mook

Frank Row (1)
What about #7 for Waverley 2s, with the white headger. Looked good on the ball, with plently of pilfers only minority is that he's a bit of a pin.

sammyburgess

Stan Wickham (3)
Predictions for CAS teams?

Interesting there hasn't been a stand out #10 as there usually has been in the last couple of years. i believe Alos have a strong 10, not quite sure of the name though.

possible backline
9.?
10. ?
11. Stenning K
12. knox's #12 (name?) K
13. Armstrong K
14. Yoanidis W
15. Bosch (spelling?) K

already looking like knox will be heavily represented.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Having seen 3 teams play this year (Knox, Barker, Cranbrook) I offer this composite team from those 3 for some light hearted and good natured discussion for CAS honours.

15 Boesch (K)
14 McNiven (C) *
13 Armstrong (K)
12 Williams (K)
11 Stenning (K)
10 Thompson (B)
9 Bluett (B)
8 Basson (K)
7 Lloyd (B) Capt
6 Swinton (k)
5 Stenmark (C)
4 Knox
3 Knox
2 Tian Stals (B)
1 Lewis Barakat (C)

I offer my apologies for not knowing the names of the Knox 4 and their LHP 3 however they have played very well in the first two games and will offer genuine resistance to any GPS team.

On that point I have tried to select a team that will play against the big GPS lads and be competative.

Key for this is the set piece. We must win our own ball and not be dominated.
Hence size counts here. I saw the much smaller Barker pack match it for 20 minutes with the Knox lads but in the end, a good big lad will beat a good small lad, especially in the forwards.

My concern is the front row. Positions 4 to 8 have plenty of players to choose, but seeing the smaller Barker pack dismantle the Knox front row twice in 6 minutes gives me concern.

Does any reader know if that Cranbrook lad ( Spira) might be returning?? I hear he can bench 120kg and weighs in at 110kg. Thats what CAS need up front..If he does return he would be my LHP

Lewis Barakat (C) has heart and can tackle all day while his scrummaging skills are first class and is the THP.

As hooker I chose the Barker lad Tiaan Stals. He is a good striker of the ball, throws straight and has dominated a bigger pack once this year.

The second row of Stenmarkc(C) and Knox 4 (apologies again) offer height in the lineout , huge work rate around the park (ie fit) and solid tackling which is critical around the ruck.

Swinton (6) and Basson (8) select themselves. Big lads, great skills, grunt in the rucks and the ability to bend the advantage line when running wide.

I have chosen Andy Lloyd (B) as the 7 and captain. Enormous work rate, great defender strong over the ball and a genuine pest. He has also led a team against bigger more formidable players and knows how to get the most out of his team and keep them motivated when things are not going your way. With a stronger forward pack around him he will be a tremendous player and will lead by example.

The Barker halfback and 5/8th get my vote. Even behind a weaker pack these guys made space and time to run in 2 tries against the competition leaders Knox. Give them a strong forward platform and some real strike power in McNiven and Stenning out wide should result in some fabulous Randwick style rugby.

The Knox centers of Williams and Armstrong were great in defense and excellent ball distributors and clearly combine well with Boesch at 15 who has not made a wrong step this year.

So with Alloys, Waverley and Trinity players to add to the mix, it will be a interesting debate.

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
At the end of the day the Double V were outgunned by a bigger and stronger team.

we can assume that young Finn Wright will be receiving a good talking to from his coaches this week.

Can we really?? Having seen Waves play 3 times this season one would be forgiven for thinking their unique brand of thuggery was being encouraged [in the Wave v Knox video have a look at the tackles at 8:02 and 10:55 for instance].
It was refreshing to see Knox play such disciplined rugby. 'At the end of the day the Double V were thrashed by a BETTER and more disciplined team'.

S

sidelineview

Can we really?? Having seen Waves play 3 times this season one would be forgiven for thinking their unique brand of thuggery was being encouraged [in the Wave v Knox video have a look at the tackles at 8:02 and 10:55 for instance].
It was refreshing to see Knox play such disciplined rugby. 'At the end of the day the Double V were thrashed by a BETTER and more disciplined team'.

Knox were the better team, and better disciplined, no dispute there, but it's only early in the season. Don't get too cocky; you know what happened last season .... But you've lost me .... there were no penalties awarded at 8.02 or 10.55. Did I miss something?

The moderator of this forum has asked everyone to remember we are discussing schoolboy rugby and rugby players. To suggest Waverley's brand of play is thuggery and is condoned by the coaches is ridiculous.

There were three yellow cards given in the Waves-Knox game. Two to Waverley players and one to a Knox player. A lifting tackle by a Waverley player, an open handed push to an opposing player's face by a Waverley player and a high tackle from a Knox player.

Following your argument, they were all acts of thuggery, and not indiscretions from schoolboy rugby players. That includes the dangerous high tackle from the Knox player. It should also include the reactions from the Knox forwards after the lifting tackle.

It should also include all the 'thuggery' that goes on in the rucks that no one notices except the players but which is par for the course in schoolboy rugby.

It must feel nice up there on your high horse but you can't have your cake and eat it too .....

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Number 4 from knox is Hugh Margin, year 11

I'm ready to be shot down here, but I'd be putting Swinton in the 2nd row. He is not a big strong ball runner like a 6 should be. His passing skills are poor. His defence is very strong (some of the strongest and most consistent I have seen at schoolboy level) but he needs to develop a more all-over game if he wants to be a 6 at higher levels. At the moment, his game is based on his intimidation in defence - all legal by the way.

Put him in the 2nd row and then with two very strong 8s in Basson from Knox and Cooper from Waverley, one of them could play 8 and the other play 6 and use their ball running skills.

With regards to CAS team, won't the Cranbrook props in CAS last year? What has happened to them?

S

sidelineview

I'm ready to be shot down here, but I'd be putting Swinton in the 2nd row. He is not a big strong ball runner like a 6 should be. His passing skills are poor. His defence is very strong (some of the strongest and most consistent I have seen at schoolboy level) but he needs to develop a more all-over game if he wants to be a 6 at higher levels. At the moment, his game is based on his intimidation in defence - all legal by the way.

Put him in the 2nd row and then with two very strong 8s in Basson from Knox and Cooper from Waverley, one of them could play 8 and the other play 6 and use their ball running skills.

With regards to CAS team, won't the Cranbrook props in CAS last year? What has happened to them?

I agree with you; he's very strong in defence but he doesn't run as well as some forwards in the comp and his skills are limited at this stage. I wouldn't be leaving Waverley's 6 Cardassilaris out of contention. He's a strong runner and defender; he needs to refine his game regarding giving penalties away, but if he can get on top of that he's a skillful mobile player who wont be intimidated by any opposition.

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree with you; he's very strong in defence but he doesn't run as well as some forwards in the comp and his skills are limited at this stage. I wouldn't be leaving Waverley's 6 Cardassilaris out of contention. He's a strong runner and defender; he needs to refine his game regarding giving penalties away, but if he can get on top of that he's a skillful mobile player who wont be intimidated by any opposition.

The backrow does seem pretty crowded with Basson, Swinton, Cardassilaris and Lloyd already mentioned, but what about Chapman from Knox? He may not be as flashy as some others but his leadership, poise and rugby brain make him a standout for me. Swinton to the 2nd row looks a good way to make some room - but that would mean either Stenmark or Margin would miss out. It's a tough one that will be interesting to watch unfold over the full season. At this point I think Lloyd might be the unlucky one who misses out in the backrow, and maybe Margin in the 2nd row. Still, it's early days...

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
At Summer Hill, the warm up games were split, with the home side getting up 19-0 in the 3rds and the visitors taking the 2nds 27-0.

A nasty incident marred the 2nd XV match when the Aloys #7 punched an opposition player in the back of the head while his back was turned. This cowardly act was compounded when only moments later one of the Trinity players retaliated by punching the Aloys #7 in the jaw from his blindside. Deeply disgraceful and incidents that in professional sport would have led to very long suspensions. Fortunately it appears neither of the players who were punched was seriously injured, but a very unedifying spectacle.

The 1st XV match started in more positive spirit, with both the home and visiting supporters in good voice. Only a few minutes into the match an Aloys back line move from the set piece left Trinity's defence in tatters. First blood to the visitors it was shaping up as a tough day out for Trinity.

Trinity hit back quickly, with #10 (Siteine) showing excellent footwork and benefiting from holding the ball in two hands with outside options, to slice through the first line of defence, step the fullback and go in under the posts

After that the game devolved into more of a stalemate. Aloys looks much better organised in general and their very mobile back row was highly effective at recycling the ball in the first half (although gave away a few penalties leaving their feet on Trinity's ball).

Trinity gave the crowd an increasingly bizarre spectacle at line out time as, despite not winning any, they tried increasingly complex line out moves. The scrum was reasonably even, with Aloys having the slight upper hand but not enough to disrupt Trinity's ball. Some aimless kicking up the middle of the field gave Aloys plenty of good ball, but Trinity's scrambling defence was excellent, with good tackles being made across the park, with in particular the #6 (Filippo) making a series of strong one-on-one tackles.

The first half ended 10-10, which Trinity would have been satisfied with, given the amount of ball Aloys had on attack.

The second half started perfectly for Trinity. Pressure from the Trinity #1 (Wayland), who is very mobile for a front-rower and a relentless threat from kick restarts, saw Aloys spill the kick off. A few pick and drives later and the Trinity pack muscled over for try number 2.

Although still scrappy at the set piece, Trinity's forwards started to roll over Aloys in the second half, with strong defence from the pack and inside backs in the middle of the park starting to rattle the ball loose regularly. A couple of fair but very hard tackles left Aloys players down and winded.

The game remained locked at 15-10 for most of the second half, with Aloys increasingly reliant on their giant #14 (Diamond?) to break the Trinity line. Although this strong, fast young man made serious inroads with each run, he was well-contained and it perhaps became a little predictable at times that Aloys would use him as the battering ram.

Trinity's skipper and #8 was sin binned for what I think was a high tackle, but that didn't lead to any shift in the pattern of play, with Aloys continuing to have good ball, and Trinity continuing to defend tenaciously.

As the game wore on Trinity gained composure and started to play with more structure. Trinity's #10 (Siteine) looked composed and well organised, and Trinity started to make more ground up the middle.

For Aloys, they were playing more and more in their own half, but continued to clear their line on the back of strong runs from their #11 (Diamond) and #12 (Lawson), but increasingly they appeared to lack the outside pace or the sharp attacking edge required to go all the way.

With the game increasingly looking like Trinity's to lose, the nerves were quelled by an excellent Trinity try that sealed the deal. Trinity's #12 (Longville) made an outstanding break, displaying pace and evasive footwork to beat half a dozen players and advance the ball some 40 meters right up the middle. From the ensuing play Trinity's halves gave good service to #8 (McClellan) standing out in the centers and from 15 meters out nobody was going to stop him, with a barnstorming run ending with the ball slammed down next to the posts.

Final score 22-10.

For Aloys, #14 (Diamond) was a threat each time he had the ball and his size, pace and strength will challenge all of the defences this season. #12 Lawson also ran strongly, although with a tendency to move sideways and take space from his outside backs. With his height and power he could be extremely damaging if he straightens up his running angles. The Aloys back row was also very effective, without any one of them standing out. Indeed, the forward pack was generally good, working efficiently at set pieces and the breakdown, to which they always arrived quickly and in numbers. They appear a well-drilled side with a hard-working team ethic.

For Trinity, the #6 (Filippo) was for mine the Man of the Match, making numerous strong ball and all tackles to shut Aloys down, including at least two that were try saving on the line. #8 (McClennan) was very strong, with several bullocking runs and some punishing defence and #10 (Siteine) looked well-organised and elusive and likely to be very dangerous with some better ball from set pieces.

Generally, both teams will be happy with committed defensive efforts.

Aloys needs to straighten up and be a bit more direct in attack. Trinity desperately needs to work on its line out and kicking game.

Trinity's NSW representative (inside center Morris) was out this week, but when he returns and Longville (who has an excellent kicking game) moves to fullback, most of the kicking problems should be addressed and Trinity's back line looks better than it has for a few years. So the key for Trinity would seem to be getting its powerful forwards to make sure they get numbers to the breakdown and win their own ball on the set piece.

S

sidelineview

The backrow does seem pretty crowded with Basson, Swinton, Cardassilaris and Lloyd already mentioned, but what about Chapman from Knox? He may not be as flashy as some others but his leadership, poise and rugby brain make him a standout for me. Swinton to the 2nd row looks a good way to make some room - but that would mean either Stenmark or Margin would miss out. It's a tough one that will be interesting to watch unfold over the full season. At this point I think Lloyd might be the unlucky one who misses out in the backrow, and maybe Margin in the 2nd row. Still, it's early days.

The good news is there are two teams picked and the backrow for each team will be strong. Add Cooper to that list as well.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
At Summer Hill, the warm up games were split, with the home side getting up 19-0 in the 3rds and the visitors taking the 2nds 27-0.

A nasty incident marred the 2nd XV match when the Aloys #7 punched an opposition player in the back of the head while his back was turned. This cowardly act was compounded when only moments later one of the Trinity players retaliated by punching the Aloys #7 in the jaw from his blindside. Deeply disgraceful and incidents that in professional sport would have led to very long suspensions. Fortunately it appears neither of the players who were punched was seriously injured, but a very unedifying spectacle.

The 1st XV match started in more positive spirit, with both the home and visiting supporters in good voice. Only a few minutes into the match an Aloys back line move from the set piece left Trinity's defence in tatters. First blood to the visitors it was shaping up as a tough day out for Trinity.

Trinity hit back quickly, with #10 (Siteine) showing excellent footwork and benefiting from holding the ball in two hands with outside options, to slice through the first line of defence, step the fullback and go in under the posts

After that the game devolved into more of a stalemate. Aloys looks much better organised in general and their very mobile back row was highly effective at recycling the ball in the first half (although gave away a few penalties leaving their feet on Trinity's ball).

Trinity gave the crowd an increasingly bizarre spectacle at line out time as, despite not winning any, they tried increasingly complex line out moves. The scrum was reasonably even, with Aloys having the slight upper hand but not enough to disrupt Trinity's ball. Some aimless kicking up the middle of the field gave Aloys plenty of good ball, but Trinity's scrambling defence was excellent, with good tackles being made across the park, with in particular the #6 (Filippo) making a series of strong one-on-one tackles.

The first half ended 10-10, which Trinity would have been satisfied with, given the amount of ball Aloys had on attack.

The second half started perfectly for Trinity. Pressure from the Trinity #1 (Wayland), who is very mobile for a front-rower and a relentless threat from kick restarts, saw Aloys spill the kick off. A few pick and drives later and the Trinity pack muscled over for try number 2.

Although still scrappy at the set piece, Trinity's forwards started to roll over Aloys in the second half, with strong defence from the pack and inside backs in the middle of the park starting to rattle the ball loose regularly. A couple of fair but very hard tackles left Aloys players down and winded.

The game remained locked at 15-10 for most of the second half, with Aloys increasingly reliant on their giant #14 (Diamond?) to break the Trinity line. Although this strong, fast young man made serious inroads with each run, he was well-contained and it perhaps became a little predictable at times that Aloys would use him as the battering ram.

Trinity's skipper and #8 was sin binned for what I think was a high tackle, but that didn't lead to any shift in the pattern of play, with Aloys continuing to have good ball, and Trinity continuing to defend tenaciously.

As the game wore on Trinity gained composure and started to play with more structure. Trinity's #10 (Siteine) looked composed and well organised, and Trinity started to make more ground up the middle.

For Aloys, they were playing more and more in their own half, but continued to clear their line on the back of strong runs from their #11 (Diamond) and #12 (Lawson), but increasingly they appeared to lack the outside pace or the sharp attacking edge required to go all the way.

With the game increasingly looking like Trinity's to lose, the nerves were quelled by an excellent Trinity try that sealed the deal. Trinity's #12 (Longville) made an outstanding break, displaying pace and evasive footwork to beat half a dozen players and advance the ball some 40 meters right up the middle. From the ensuing play Trinity's halves gave good service to #8 (McClellan) standing out in the centers and from 15 meters out nobody was going to stop him, with a barnstorming run ending with the ball slammed down next to the posts.

Final score 22-10.

For Aloys, #14 (Diamond) was a threat each time he had the ball and his size, pace and strength will challenge all of the defences this season. #12 Lawson also ran strongly, although with a tendency to move sideways and take space from his outside backs. With his height and power he could be extremely damaging if he straightens up his running angles. The Aloys back row was also very effective, without any one of them standing out. Indeed, the forward pack was generally good, working efficiently at set pieces and the breakdown, to which they always arrived quickly and in numbers. They appear a well-drilled side with a hard-working team ethic.

For Trinity, the #6 (Filippo) was for mine the Man of the Match, making numerous strong ball and all tackles to shut Aloys down, including at least two that were try saving on the line. #8 (McClennan) was very strong, with several bullocking runs and some punishing defence and #10 (Siteine) looked well-organised and elusive and likely to be very dangerous with some better ball from set pieces.

Aloys needs to straighten up and be a bit more direct in attack. Trinity desperately needs to work on its line out and kicking game.

Trinity's NSW representative (inside center Morris) was out this week, but when he returns and Longville (who has an excellent kicking game) moves to fullback, most of the kicking problems should be addressed and Trinity's back line looks better than it has for a few years. So the key for Trinity would seem to be getting its powerful forwards to make sure they get numbers to the breakdown and win their own ball on the set piece.

why all the complex lineouts? Don't they have the tallest player in the competition this year?

Also, if their captain was sin-binned, this is the second time for him in 2 games. He was sin-binned against Waverley as well. SUCH LEADERSHIP! Why is there no talk about him being a "thug" yet all the talk is about Waverley being "thugs"?

gordon fray

Bob McCowan (2)

Final score 22-10.

Aloes lost no 10 Dainton at the 20 minute mark which definately affected backline structure and no 5 Nowlan just before halftime ,both to injury. Aloes set piece was good and pushed Trinity back in all the scrums in the first half but couldn't finish off a couple of try scoring opportunites.Trinity showed excellent defence in the second half and created tries from building pressure.rucks and mauls looked fairly even.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
why all the complex lineouts? Don't they have the tallest player in the competition this year?

Also, if their captain was sin-binned, this is the second time for him in 2 games. He was sin-binned against Waverley as well. SUCH LEADERSHIP! Why is there no talk about him being a "thug" yet all the talk is about Waverley being "thugs"?

He wasn't sin binned for being a thug; it looked like a fairly innocuous high tackle. He otherwise led his team around well and scored the winning try to seal a tight game.

It was a good afternoon of schoolboy rugby. There was a rather charming Mother's Day function and the atmosphere was convivial. The visiting Aloys boys were vocal, the Trinity boys cheered well too and everyone enjoyed a closely contested game of rugby. Pretty much what you'd hope for and should be able to expect at schoolboy rugby.

S

sidelineview

Because of the long standing rivalry between Knox and Waverley

S

sidelineview

He wasn't sin binned for being a thug; it looked like a fairly innocuous high tackle. He otherwise led his team around well and scored the winning try to seal a tight game.

It was a good afternoon of schoolboy rugby. There was a rather charming Mother's Day function and the atmosphere was convivial. The visiting Aloys boys were vocal, the Trinity boys cheered well too and everyone enjoyed a closely contested game of rugby. Pretty much what you'd hope for and should be able to expect at schoolboy rugby.

It was a good turn around by Trinity

brownie24

Stan Wickham (3)
CAS 1st
15 still open in my thoughts
14 McNiven (C) *
13 Armstrong (K)
12 Williams (K)
11 Stenning (K) YONADIAS? W
10 Thompson (B)
9 Bluett (B)
8 Basson (K)
7 Lloyd (B) Capt
6 Chapman (k)
5 Swinton(k)
4 Margin (k)
3 Max cutrone (k) or even tim anstey (u'16 NSW prop)
2 Tian Stals (B)
1 Lewis Barakat (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.