• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHitman

Bob McCowan (2)
Guys

We all need to appreciate that there will be some juvenile behaviour at times in these games because the players are all juveniles. I reckon everyone posting here would have done something on the footy field that they're not completely proud of,= even if it was a lonnnnnnng time ago for some of us. Probably not much point discussing kids being kids here. Let's talk about the footy instead.

Sorry if I seemed to be singling someone out Jonesy, I was merely commenting on what was apparent in the video. But fair call oldandslow, I'm sure all us old blokes would confess to a bit of rough and tumble out in our time. I remember one club game in particular from 1986, back when I was running around on the paddock.. Very fond memories indeed

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Guys

We all need to appreciate that there will be some juvenile behaviour at times in these games because the players are all juveniles. I reckon everyone posting here would have done something on the footy field that they're not completely proud of,= even if it was a lonnnnnnng time ago for some of us. Probably not much point discussing kids being kids here. Let's talk about the footy instead.
We are talking about potential NSW or Aust Schoolboy players. He will not get away with such behaviour at a higher level. Referees are better and players are better. With his limited all-round game (no passing game, poor running height and a game based on pure aggression), he will be found out at higher levels. He gets away with it at CAS level but there are bigger blokes out there who will tackle him easily.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)

Based purely on what I have seen of course...

I thought Filipo (T) was a back rower?

Longville (T) for me was certainly not the best 15. Maybe he just had an off day against Waverley when I saw him? There has been a lot of talk about the wingers and a number of people have mentioned Yonadies from Waverley but he is nowhere to be seen. Marking Diamond from Alo's on Saturday he did a great job at shutting him down for most of the game. And how Smernotis (W) made it is beyond me. He has been dreadful for Waverley lately.

Thompson was a good choice at 10. He controls the game well, has a good running game and is not afraid to get his hands dirty in defence. Wayland is a loss. Injured? How long is he out for?

The older I get

Bob McCowan (2)
We are talking about potential NSW or Aust Schoolboy players. He will not get away with such behaviour at a higher level. Referees are better and players are better. With his limited all-round game (no passing game, poor running height and a game based on pure aggression), he will be found out at higher levels. He gets away with it at CAS level but there are bigger blokes out there who will tackle him easily.

I just don't see the benefit of this type of comment:

Firstly, naming and criticising schoolkids in this open and anonymous blog is gutless,
Secondly, the CAS team had now been selected and I would have thought that trying to support and grow the confidence of these great young players (so that they make a good account for CAS at State Champs and as many as possible make the NSW team) would be a high priority for the future of CAS rugby,
Finally, this particular player has proven himself to be one of the best forwards in CAS this year. So to focus on some misdemeanours or some perceived weakness in his game is focussing on the 5%. Every top player has things to work on.

These comments smack of either sour grapes or trolling. I don't see any other purpose.

This forum should be getting behind all of these players selected for CAS, support them and help them make a strong CAS team for State champs.

Sorry in advance for sounding pious, however this forum has a wide audience and I just think a better tone will create a better CAS rugby community.

S

sidelineview

Based purely on what I have seen of course.

Longville (T) for me was certainly not the best 15. Maybe he just had an off day against Waverley when I saw him? There has been a lot of talk about the wingers and a number of people have mentioned Yonadies from Waverley but he is nowhere to be seen. Marking Diamond from Alo's on Saturday he did a great job at shutting him down for most of the game. And how Smernotis (W) made it is beyond me. He has been dreadful for Waverley lately.

Thompson was a good choice at 10. He controls the game well, has a good running game and is not afraid to get his hands dirty in defence. Wayland is a loss. Injured? How long is he out for?

No one from Trinity played well in the first round. I agree, Yoannidis played very strongly yesterday. I also agree that Smirnotis hasn't played well so far this season. He's struggled after taking a year off rugby but we'll see how he goes against CHS. Tom Fuller, on the other hand has been very impressive this season but he's an inside centre.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I just don't see the benefit of this type of comment:

Firstly, naming and criticising schoolkids in this open and anonymous blog is gutless,
Secondly, the CAS team had now been selected and I would have thought that trying to support and grow the confidence of these great young players (so that they make a good account for CAS at State Champs and as many as possible make the NSW team) would be a high priority for the future of CAS rugby,
Finally, this particular player has proven himself to be one of the best forwards in CAS this year. So to focus on some misdemeanours or some perceived weakness in his game is focussing on the 5%. Every top player has things to work on.

These comments smack of either sour grapes or trolling. I don't see any other purpose.

This forum should be getting behind all of these players selected for CAS, support them and help them make a strong CAS team for State champs.

Sorry in advance for sounding pious, however this forum has a wide audience and I just think a better tone will create a better CAS rugby community.
I just read my original comment again...I don't think I named anyone...? Yes, every player has their weaknesses, and if we don't highlight them, they won't improve. CAS has some very strong players, but in order to cut it at the next level, they will need to lift - led by our good friend, C.A.

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)

I didn't watch the Aloys-waves game I have only seen the photos on the Waverly Sport Facebook page, correct me if I'm wrong but Yoannidis needed help from two of his team mates on one occasion and three on another to bring diamond down. As for smirnotis again correct me I'm wrong but he seems to struggle in defence.

S

sidelineview

I didn't watch the Aloys-waves game I have only seen the photos on the Waverly Sport Facebook page, correct me if I'm wrong but Yoannidis needed help from two of his team mates on one occasion and three on another to bring diamond down. As for smirnotis again correct me I'm wrong but he seems to struggle in defence.

There were times when more than one defender were on Diamond (as with other attacking players), but on the occasions when Yoannidis found Diamond in front of him he handled him well. He's a strong kid. That's what i meant. Diamond scored 3 tries but he didn't run over the top of Yoannidis as he has with other players this season.
i think Smirnotis has struggled in general after taking a year off. It's not easy to get used to the physical contact, timing and building confidence etc. We'll see how he progresses.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
I just read my original comment again.I don't think I named anyone.? Yes, every player has their weaknesses, and if we don't highlight them, they won't improve. CAS has some very strong players, but in order to cut it at the next level, they will need to lift - led by our good friend, C.A.

Read your post 926 again - you are clearly referring to a player identified earlier in this thread.

On a somewhat different but related tack a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a shoulder charge is just that, a difference of opinion and accusations of bias do not further the debate one iota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anonweapon1

Frank Row (1)
Honestly, i dont know why Ethan Micallef got dropped, Also someone sign Tom fuller up for the wallabies already.

Waverley will be back strongly, knox still look strong though

Anonweapon1

Frank Row (1)
I also beleive seeing as though my point is always valid, its going to be hard to stop Leo bosch, He is very athletic and reminds me a little like israel folau,
Will be very hard to stop.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)

Sorry but since when has rugby being a one-on-one game. How can the fact that you've seen a single photo with more than one person making a tackle, give you the impression that he struggled controlling him? You've played rugby before yes? Watched a game? If someone is making a tackle on a ball-runner, the next closest defender isn't going to switch off and turn a blind eye, he will join the contact, try drive backwards, pilf the ball once the ruck has formed or whatever. Back over the bridge mate, Alloys supporters emerging out of everywhere for the first time since 78'. Lol

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
Missed aloys vs Waverley and cranbrook games this year( disappointing as I've only seen a single aloys victory this year, in what is a rare strong rugby 1st team) however I think the CAS selections of aloysuis boys was fairly accurate. My only criticisms would be I would probably have lawson (12) in CAS 1s and Dunlop (15) at least in a CAS team or resevres. Dunlop in my mind is a very underrated player, very fast and skilful on attack, however he does need to work on catching the ball on the full. I have limited knowledge on gps and ISA however would think the gap between GPS and CAS is closing, I think the strong Knox and trinity CAS forwards are the biggest pack I've seen in a long time and from what I've heard is the amount of imports in some schools has reduced in GPS this year. Would probably have the Knox 7 chapman as captain, good clean player who plays with his heart on his sleeve(admittedly I base this off one game)

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Now that the CAS selections have been made, what about a team from the injured players? The rehab team seems to be full of quality players. Some if fit would definitely have been considered. For example from Knox. Armstrong and Stenning. Stemning for his speed and goal kicking. Armstrong as he is a good balanced player in attack and defence.

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
Sorry but since when has rugby being a one-on-one game. How can the fact that you've seen a single photo with more than one person making a tackle, give you the impression that he struggled controlling him? You've played rugby before yes? Watched a game? If someone is making a tackle on a ball-runner, the next closest defender isn't going to switch off and turn a blind eye, he will join the contact, try drive backwards, pilf the ball once the ruck has formed or whatever. Back over the bridge mate, Alloys supporters emerging out of everywhere for the first time since 78'. Lol
I am not hear to argue clearly there has been a misinterpretation of what I meant. Noregrets said "Yoannidis did a great job of shutting down Diamond" I took this as meaning he was making excellent one on one tackles not just making the initial hit then having assistance. By the way do you get gratification from attempting to insult others down? Typical Waverley boy not smart enough to try and understand the context of a comment

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone know why The Knox 1st were wearing what looked like black armbands against Cranbrook?

Ncfooty

Bob McCowan (2)

I think the selectors have made some incorrect decisions particularly in the backs in both the 1s and 2s. Agreed Smirnotis shouldn't have been anywhere near selection and was probably picked on reputation. How Armstrong (K) wasn't the obvious choice for #13 in the 1s is also beyond me (unless he is out injured, I am unsure). Slaven is a very good player but he should probably have been picked on the wing.

The exclusion of Mcniven (C) from either of the sides I also thought was rediculous. He's been close to the form #12 of the Comp (behind williams) and was crucial to the primership winning side last year.

I also expexted Stennjng (K) to feature somewhere considering his goal kicking is near flawless as well. And the other waverley winger and fullback I thought deserved a shot somewhere.

S

sidelineview

I am not hear to argue clearly there has been a misinterpretation of what I meant. Noregrets said "Yoannidis did a great job of shutting down Diamond" I took this as meaning he was making excellent one on one tackles not just making the initial hit then having assistance. By the way do you get gratification from attempting to insult others down? Typical Waverley boy not smart enough to try and understand the context of a comment

You're right mate. Yoannidis made the initial contact in head on tackles and was strong enough to hold him until the cavalry arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.