• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The older I get

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS Under 16s – selections for 2015

1st XV – Finn Wright ( W ), Joff Pilton ( C ), Max Cutrone ( K ) Pat Clifton ( W ) Tom Humphreys ( K ) Daniel Szabo ( W ) Matt Coghill ( B ) Nick Frost ( K ) Marco Bell ( W ) Finnbar Stenmark ( C ) Mitch Dickins ( C ) Tom Woodcock ( K ) Brooklyn Hardaker( W ) Ethan Howe ( W ) Kordell Payne ( T )

Res – Brady Dawson ( K ) Simon Rahme ( A ) Matt Doyle ( T ) Charlie Crammond ( C ) Hugh Melchoir ( B ) Ben Hansen ( K ) Ben Donaldson ( W ) Bailey White ( B ) Coaches – Mr S Coleman ( W) & Mr S O’Donnell ( W ) Manager – Mr K Ikeuchi ( T )

Chris Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Only managed to see the CAS Seconds and the first half of the 1s but there were many positives but also improvements for both teams.

Second: 31-19 win
The team fired immediately through captain Rasch (4) who crashed over after some great team play and a good darting line break by Siteine (10) in the midfield. The team seemed to gel well against what looked a bigger CHS side who were playing some physical rugby. The CAS forwards in general played a tight game and showed they were ready for the physical contest. Special mentions to Halliday (5) for his effective and relentless ruck work which shouldn't go unrewarded and sub Rower Begg who ran strong lines against a hard-hitting CHS defence. Purcell (8) also showed some great speed to charge 30m down the sideline practically untouched for the try.

Both 9's Murphy and Butler gave good service throughout the game and commanded the forwards well. Siteine played his usual elusive and agile game however some improvements in distribution could prove beneficial. Lawson (12) was definitely my player of the game with superb attack and reliable defence, preventing the large pairing of CHS centres from busting through the middle. Although there is great talent in the 1s, Lawson really does seem deserved of a spot regardless of the big names in the team. Smirnotis (13) proved his critics wrong with a solid game. Although he took his time to warm up, the realisation that everyone is actually a lot smaller than him resulted in some good straight running and tough defence. Both wingers looked perhaps a little lost and maybe a swap for Aloysius' Dunlop or Waverley's Jaya would prove sensible. The bench of Nikopoulos (3), Jordan (10) and Mazaraki (14) played well and will perhaps be pushing for regular starting spots in the team.

On a sour note, Waverley's Cardassilaris seems to have suffered a bad ankle injury and does not look like he will play in the forthcoming weeks.

Great game from the Seconds who played hard and ground down a large and physical CHS side.

First: 26-31 loss
I only saw the First half but there are certainly improvements to be made in order to compete with GPS in a fortnight. The team was physically larger than CHS with the likes of Swinton, Basson, McLennan and Margin. These players all played their typical games; hard hitting and straight running rugby. The front row was solid however it's tough for them to shine with such a powerful and overshadowing back row. Chapman, despite not being captain, led from the front with smart footy and was always there in support. Scrum half Hayes provided good service to both forwards and backs and still looks to be the clear choice at 9. Thompson (10) showed some flair with a nice chip'n'chase but that's about all the team got from him. With a decent pass and such damaging outside backs, it would seem wise to spread the butter but a few too many solo runs and poor decisions may see a potential shuffle in the 10 position. Williams (12) was hard running and solid in defence but like Thompson, seems to want to run it that extra metre and go it alone instead of shifting it towards more attacking players such as Diamond who is renowned to finish off anything in the final 22. Unfortunately for spectators, Diamond didn't see too much of the ball but when he did he ran hard and damaging lines although he spent most of his times in the ruck supporting his inside backs. Slaven (13) was his usual self; hungry for the ball and taking on opposition players in situations that perhaps seemed unforgiving given his size in comparison. His try following a run from Williams really captured his mongrel as he wrestled for the ball and burrowed over the line. Fullback Longville has without a doubt great attacking talent but given his position, his tackling was soft and half-hearted (although I cannot blame him considering the size of CHS' rampaging 13). Narayan kicked very well and should be able to finish off anything in a good side provided it gets to him first.

Please note that this was my perspective of just the first half of the game and of course things might have improved/not improved for the players I mentioned.

S

sidelineview

Chris Jones, I agree with your assessment of the 2nds game, although i thought 14 Jackson Mohi played well with limited opportunities. Lawson had a blinder.

In the 1sts game, the CAS forwards more than held their own but the CHS backs 13 and 15 did some damage. Swinton and McLennan are powerhouse players. I agree Hayes gave good service and Williams and Slaven played strong. Diamond needs to see more of the ball.

You may be right about the 10 position. Interestingly, in the 2nd half Narayan shifted in from the wing to the fly half position to replace Thompson, and Jordan came on to fill the left wing spot. Narayan added some spark by putting in a nice grubber kick for Jordan to pull in and score. Jordan scored another try and they went within a whisker to score another on the bell.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I am not sure I agree on Thompson.

He distributed the ball well to his centres. What hamstrung the CAS backline was the rush defence of the CHS lads. Both Williams and Slaven at times had no choice but to crash and barge as the alternative would no doubt resulted in a loose pass.

I think the CAS backline needed to involve Diamond more. At lineout time , given the likes of Swinton and Margin were winning ball cleanly, I would have had Diamond run off the inside of Thompson and take on the CHS 5/8th and see how he went tackling 6ft 3 and 105kg winger.

I also think that the speed size and athleticism of Smirnotis would have helped the CAS back line.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)

He distributed the ball well to his centres. What hamstrung the CAS backline was the rush defence of the CHS lads. Both Williams and Slaven at times had no choice but to crash and barge as the alternative would no doubt resulted in a loose pass.

I think the CAS backline needed to involve Diamond more. At lineout time , given the likes of Swinton and Margin were winning ball cleanly, I would have had Diamond run off the inside of Thompson and take on the CHS 5/8th and see how he went tackling 6ft 3 and 105kg winger.

I also think that the speed size and athleticism of Smirnotis would have helped the CAS back line.

Thompson is a good player but not for Rep level - Dainton would have made a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

It's what the coaches think that count. Thompson did distribute the ball well, but they were obviously looking for something else when they switched the positions.
It was good to see Smirnotis have a good game to silence his critics but I'd leave him where he is.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Occasionally there is a rough cut diamond unearthed from 2nd division or unfancied teams like ISA 2nd XV (Ned Yeomans), ISA Div II (Ben Black - Chevalier), CHS 2nd XV (Lukhan Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui), CCC (James Dargaville), and AICES (Matt Dunning) teams that go on to Aust Schoolboys, or the ranks of professional rugby players.

Over the years, what similar uncut diamonds have been exposed from the ranks of the CAS 2nd XV team, or even not selected for any CAS Representative Team?

Andrew Toovey

Frank Row (1)
Only managed to see the CAS Seconds and the first half of the 1s but there were many positives but also improvements for both teams.

Second: 31-19 win
The team fired immediately through captain Rasch (4) who crashed over after some great team play and a good darting line break by Siteine (10) in the midfield. The team seemed to gel well against what looked a bigger CHS side who were playing some physical rugby. The CAS forwards in general played a tight game and showed they were ready for the physical contest. Special mentions to Halliday (5) for his effective and relentless ruck work which shouldn't go unrewarded and sub Rower Begg who ran strong lines against a hard-hitting CHS defence. Purcell (8) also showed some great speed to charge 30m down the sideline practically untouched for the try.

Both 9's Murphy and Butler gave good service throughout the game and commanded the forwards well. Siteine played his usual elusive and agile game however some improvements in distribution could prove beneficial. Lawson (12) was definitely my player of the game with superb attack and reliable defence, preventing the large pairing of CHS centres from busting through the middle. Although there is great talent in the 1s, Lawson really does seem deserved of a spot regardless of the big names in the team. Smirnotis (13) proved his critics wrong with a solid game. Although he took his time to warm up, the realisation that everyone is actually a lot smaller than him resulted in some good straight running and tough defence. Both wingers looked perhaps a little lost and maybe a swap for Aloysius' Dunlop or Waverley's Jaya would prove sensible. The bench of Nikopoulos (3), Jordan (10) and Mazaraki (14) played well and will perhaps be pushing for regular starting spots in the team.

On a sour note, Waverley's Cardassilaris seems to have suffered a bad ankle injury and does not look like he will play in the forthcoming weeks.

Great game from the Seconds who played hard and ground down a large and physical CHS side.

First: 26-31 loss
I only saw the First half but there are certainly improvements to be made in order to compete with GPS in a fortnight. The team was physically larger than CHS with the likes of Swinton, Basson, McLennan and Margin. These players all played their typical games; hard hitting and straight running rugby. The front row was solid however it's tough for them to shine with such a powerful and overshadowing back row. Chapman, despite not being captain, led from the front with smart footy and was always there in support. Scrum half Hayes provided good service to both forwards and backs and still looks to be the clear choice at 9. Thompson (10) showed some flair with a nice chip'n'chase but that's about all the team got from him. With a decent pass and such damaging outside backs, it would seem wise to spread the butter but a few too many solo runs and poor decisions may see a potential shuffle in the 10 position. Williams (12) was hard running and solid in defence but like Thompson, seems to want to run it that extra metre and go it alone instead of shifting it towards more attacking players such as Diamond who is renowned to finish off anything in the final 22. Unfortunately for spectators, Diamond didn't see too much of the ball but when he did he ran hard and damaging lines although he spent most of his times in the ruck supporting his inside backs. Slaven (13) was his usual self; hungry for the ball and taking on opposition players in situations that perhaps seemed unforgiving given his size in comparison. His try following a run from Williams really captured his mongrel as he wrestled for the ball and burrowed over the line. Fullback Longville has without a doubt great attacking talent but given his position, his tackling was soft and half-hearted (although I cannot blame him considering the size of CHS' rampaging 13). Narayan kicked very well and should be able to finish off anything in a good side provided it gets to him first.

Please note that this was my perspective of just the first half of the game and of course things might have improved/not improved for the players I mentioned.

I agree with Mr Jones, Thompson (10) had a good game with some impressive skills being showcased for the selectors, but there were times where maybe he ran himself a little to much. While I agree that Williams (12) is a very strong ball runner, there were times where he had options outside him, but went him self. I recall in the 1st half, there was a 4 on 2 over lap for CAS, and wether is was bad communication or just a bad decision, an opportunity for a try was missed. I have been unable to see many of the Alo's games this season, but from some of the videos, and reports the winger, Diamond seems to be an unstoppable force when given space. I was disappointed that he didn't get much ball out of the wing, for someone who has dominated every other CAS winger, you would have thought that they would have tried to utilise him more. McLennan (8) was a stand out for me, very impressive player, strong ball runner and plays hard for the whole game.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Thompson is a good player but not for Rep level - Dainton would have made a big difference

No use talking about him though. He's injured. Would you replace Thompson with someone who is actually available for selection? If so, who?

S

sidelineview

No use talking about him though. He's injured. Would you replace Thompson with someone who is actually available for selection? If so, who?

Very true.
I think the coaches will have some options in mind.
Stay with Thompson and see how he goes.
If they decide to try someone else before or during the match, either the two 2nds 10s Siteine or Jordan or Narayan could fill the spot.
There may be other options ??
There's still one round of the school comp to go and a training session before the GPS game, so I'm sure the coaches will have plenty to discuss regarding the back line.
Injuries and players coming back from injury will influence the decision making.

brownie24

Stan Wickham (3)
Throwing my piece of pie in, credit to the CAS boys. Both the 1's and 2's displayed good rugby for a team/squad that had only been together for 3 hours in total (training hours) compared to those of CHS who have toured South Africa earlier this year, and played in the same teams from 12's - now.

Hats off for the mighty red.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Throwing my piece of pie in, credit to the CAS boys. Both the 1's and 2's displayed good rugby for a team/squad that had only been together for 3 hours in total (training hours) compared to those of CHS who have toured South Africa earlier this year, and played in the same teams from 12's - now.

Hats off for the mighty red.

I know putting a pin anywhere near a bubble is viewed on as treasonous, but anyway

The primary function of these matches is to allow NSW selectors to see players perform at a higher intensity against teams that have fewer exploitable weak spots. A necessity at higher levels. This might even include an ability to play to an unfamiliar game plan and link with players they had not met. Players at higher levels need to be able to play as a team after limited training sessions. Given the tyranny of distance endured by many of the CHS players from all over N.S.W., even at district level these lads may have demonstrated that ability.

I think you will find the CHS team that headed to Africa was a "Sydney CHS" team and at a guess made up less than 40% of the N.S.W. C.H.S. team.

The CHS team was selected from government schools from all over The State not a closed association of schools from a fairly small geographical area. I believe I counted the CHS lads were from ten different schools. The opportunity for these government school boys to play with each other is not quite the same as is likely in the closed shop of six that is CAS.

the tooth fairy is not real

well done to all participants and congratulations on the quality of game you played. You do not need anyone to make excuses for you

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)

It's an interesting question how did the 10 in seconds play ?

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
" and played in the same teams from 12's - now"

Do you really believe that to be the case.

S

sidelineview

It's an interesting question how did the 10 in seconds play ?

Both played pretty good. Siteine and Jordan played a half each in the 2nds.
Jordan got a run in the 1sts at left wing to replace Narayan who shifted into flyhalf to replace Thompson.
Who knows which way the coach will go with the 1sts backline against GPS, especially if Armstrong and Stenning are fit and selected.
He should have plenty of options from the reserve bench during the game at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.