• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
correction Andrews was faster than Towns at the most recent CAS Athletics

11.76 versus 11.99 seconds

Jackson Mohi I see ran 11.39 ... I still can't accept that he didn't make Aussie schoolboys :mad:

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
2017 team
1. Finn Wright
2. Coen finati
3. Will McCormick
4. Joel Ellis
5. Daniel dzabo/Finn osullivan
6. Edenn Rogers smith
7. Connor Molloy/tadgh murph you
8. Luca morreti
9. Marco bell/reece thorn
10. Ben Donaldson (c)
11. Jacob tomasiello
12. Brooklyn Hardaker
13. Liam Cornish
14. Lachlan Wallace(not convinced)
15. Tim Eyles

Wright will play higher honours in the front row if he gets his head right and stops being so I'll disciplined, mcormick is safe as houses and level headed, which aptly contrasts wrights fire

Finati is a genuine dark horse and would most likely not have a chance in another year however hunter Doyle's throw is sub par and he has not convinced me that he is up to 1st XV level.

Dzabo and o'sullivan are neck and neck however last year dzabo had a shot and wasn't up to the firsts level, so all o'sullivan needs is a big pre season.

Conor Molloy is a genuine freak and a workhorse however I question whether he has the physicality that tadgh showed whenever he got a chance in the double V in 2016

Marco bell is a front runner, however I question his commitment to training. thorn just needs confidence and I think he could fill that hole nicely, 2 good halfbacks that could be great, but the question is who will work harder.

Donaldson hands down is my captain, coolest head pn the field at all times whilst also being one of the most consistent, one of the few year twelves back next year (Ellis, wright, mcormick, Rogers smith) Donaldson is the obvious when choice when placed in that bunch

Cornish and Hardaker in the centres will provide a physical edge over every centre pairing in the comp next year. With the added flair of Hardaker. Plus putting Donaldson Hardaker and Cornish together plays on the chemistry they have after playing together for years.

No one knows how good Jacob tomasiello actually is but he will prove it in the pre season, Wallace continually gets a shot and doesn't take it by performing sub par, also has hands like feet.

The fullback jumper has not been adequately filled since jack basset or even will Paterson, once again it is up for grabs, let's just hope the coaches pick someone who can play footy in the fullback position this year.

There is a canvas for a premiership winning team the shoes of mohi and fuller will need to be filled in the backs. B. O'sullivan and drew Morris in the forwards. A lot will fall on wright, morreti and Donaldson to replace the nucleus that Waverley had in 2016

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
2 CAS teams will be chosen next year and players can be selected for State teams from the 2nds.
Waverley players in contention:
Forwards: Wright. Rogers-Smith. Moretti. Murphy. Ellis. Molloy
Backs: Hardaker. Donaldson. Cornish. Bell. Towns

That is the same as every year, Ben osullivan, tim Anstey in 2016

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
2017 season preview:

With the 2016 season over its already time to hypothesis over the potential teams and positions leading into next years season.

1st place:

Barker College

While a couple years in the wilderness means a strong young cohort of Barker players have flown under the radar, Barker peaked interest in a late season push to show how much potential they will have leading into 2017. The likes of Coghill, Lloyd, Flaherty and Reimer will be key to a successful 2017. There are other unsung heroes in the squad such as Buffa who was a standout and one of the best on paddock through the year as well as an energised and focused coaching staff that have been willing to roll the dice with some key positional decisions and set piece plays.

Key players: Coghill, Lloyd, Buffa

2nd Place:

Waverley College

Waverley has turned a corner this year. From their big dip in 2014 to finally claiming their first premiership in 7 years it was a great year and next year they will again be strong and competitive. But they will miss the size in some of their forwards and speed out wide to beat a barker team that will have all that and more. Waverley will have some very powerful players in Wright and Cornish who has been out for some time with an ACL injury. If they appoint the same coaches as this year, they will be genuine threat to the title.

Key players: Donaldson, Wright, Moretti

3rd Place:

Knox Grammar School

Knox would be disappointed they have been placed in third for this preview, but if you look closely at how much they lose this year, it is a likely scenario. Knox won't have a genuine back rower this year for the first time since 2013. A team that focuses so heavily on a strong forward runner will find this a difficult gap to fill. Without the stars of yesteryear they will still have strength coming from their seconds. But their weaknesses in their 16's age group will mean for once, Knox will find depth to be an issue.

Key Players: Frost, Woodcock, Cutrone

4th Place:

St Aloysius

This might seem a difficult prospect, especially considering the impact that 86-0 loss in the last round may have on their rugby program. But consider the strength in their u16's team who were the only team to beat Waverley u16's this year. While they relied heavily on a team that was consistently injured and sore, there will be more depth and lots of potential in this squad next year.

Players to Watch: Rahme, Westbury, Sullivan

5th Place:

Trinity

Trinity would be disappointed since they appointed Engele as coach several years ago, and rightly so. It has been a tough couple of years for the men in green, particularly when you look at the amount of NSW representatives the team has produced. The loss of Rasch and Longville will greatly impact the potential and basis that this team has ridden for so long. They will find 2017 a difficult year to compete in.

Players to watch: Stead, Hollingsworth-Dessent, Ilias

6th Place:

The story looks difficult for Cranbrook. The loss of Searle and Kemmeny are too big a gap to fill and when you look at their seconds and 16a's its paints a picture that shows, a win will be difficult for Cranbrook in 2017.

Players to watch: May

Barker will be good but they have to fix the issue they have going with 1. Coaching and 2. Their playmakers, Kitchener and trobjec are not premiership winning playmakers.

Same issue with Waverley, someone has to go with Donaldson next year and support him by giving good ball and controlling those forwards, allowing Donaldson to play with more time and space

Knox need to play woodcock at 10 if they want to win, I don't necessarily rate him as a genuine rep player, however it is his 3rd year in the firsts and that experience will help the halfback that is tipped to play this year (who played 3rd XV last year)

I really like Ilias and chambers, I think they will keep developing next year as they are both mature beyond their years.

No idea about aloys as all they had was dainton and slaven.

Same as cranbrook with Searle and Kemeny gone it will be tough.

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
Despite 1 round remaining, 2016 seems done and dusted ..

Think Waverley could be a strong chance in 2017

My likely team

1. Finn wright
2. Hunter Doyle
3. Mcguiggan
4. Moretti
5. Szabo
6. Joel Ellis
7 tadgh murphy
8. Rogers smith
9 marco bell
10 Donaldson
11 towns
12 hardaker
13 Cornish
14 Wallace
15 Rayner

Not sure who would be captain . maybe Ellis if he can put on some size
And cement his spot

Hunter Doyle is 50 50
Dzabo is 50 50
Towns is at Knox
Rayner is a genuine 2nds player and not a 15

Ellis is not a leader although he is a great bloke and hardworking player, doesn't have the skill level or the head on his shoulder to fill drew morrises shoes and captain this team to a prwmiership

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox team for 1st XV 2017 should be as following.

1. B Dawson (1sts)
2. M Cutrone (1sts - injured)
3. J Frear (16as)
4. N Frost (1sts/australian schoolboys)
5. T Humphrey (2nds)
6. J Stenning (2nds)
7. B Collins (2nds)
8. D Garing (2nds)
9. B Hansen (3rds)
10. T Woodcock (1sts)
11. O Galletta (2nds)
12. S Rechner (15as)
13. T Cameron (16as)
14. H Myers (1sts)
15. M Pavlakis (2nds)

This team is full of skill, size, aggression and speed. Only 3 players returning from this years team. The stye of play will have to be different too what has been seen in the powerhouse style of rugby Knox has previously played. Bassong, Armstrong, Grindal, Margin, and Stocks will be sorely missed.

Myers at 12 as he is such a safe player and will compliment Cameron as he did with Armstrong.

Too many young guys too win a premiership in 2016, however looks like a promising period again for knoxy

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
1.Connor Thomas (2nds )
2. Matt Coghill (1sts)
3.Daniel Buffa (1sts)
4. Mack Northcotte (1sts Injured)
5. Harry Flaherty (1sts elevated from 16As)
6. Luke Reimer (1sts)
7. Jeremy Hutton (1sts)
8. Luke Melchior (1sts)
9. Tom Williams (1sts)
10.Van-Woerkom (1sts)
11. Simon Marais (1sts)
12. Will Lloyd (1sts )
13.Ben Bryden (16As )
14. Conner Bastow (1sts )
15. Harry Dunning (2nds)

Van woerkom is not a 10

Reimer to play 8 he is a strong ball runner

And I liked Lloyds kick returning skills last year at fullback, I feel like he dropped off abit when he went into the front line

Other players in the mix include, Kitchener, Tjeck, Haywood, Story, Charlmers, Locker.

S

sidelineview

Morreti will stay as 8, roger smith is talented however doesn't know Union well enough and will play 6 to play like a swinton, hit people and hit holes

Rogers-Smith will slot into 6 well and has played a lot of rugby so he does know the game well enough, but Moretti is probably better suited at number 8. Both are very good players ... and big physical types.

Agree Donaldson is the coolest head and will be front runner for Captain.
Murphy is a shoe in to be in the team as long as he's fit ... another big tough talented boy.

Bell gives great service and will be scrum half but the other kid Thorn is an improver and will provide good depth.

It will be hard to find a better and more physical centre pairing than Hardaker and Cornish. The combination of Bell, Donaldson and those 2 will be one of the teams biggest strengths.

Wright is a special for higher honours if he stays fit and maintains the mental discipline he showed last season. He matured a lot and is one special player as is Moretti. Hardaker, Cornish, Rogers-Smith and Murphy are a cut above as well.
Ellis and McCormick will be in the mix for Rep honours.

Towns would have been a handy inclusions but it still looks promising.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Coen Finati?! Wasn't he in the under 15s? And the 15As didn't exactly shine in 2016 . Anyway don't know much about him ....

Doyle isn't overly big, however has a bit of mongrel .... and like that in a 2 .... plus his lack of height could be an asset ... gets the other fatties bit lower

otherwise maybe McGuiggan ... if you are going for a monstrous front row ... of which I am a fan. Didn't Harley played some hooker, in the CAS north harbour v South harbour?

Joel Ellis would be a reasonable captain, and probably only gets overlooked as he is a "lightweight" .... he knows the rules, and would communicate well with referees. I do agree Donaldson would also be a good captain.... although I prefer a captain in the pigs :p

on Szabo agree in 2016 he didn't go that great when he did get a run in Ones, however I think he will be better for the experience ... otherwise I agree Molloy, particularly if he can bulk up, is an excellent player. (adds a line-out option)

Murphy has been a bit injury prone .... and would want back-up for him. Think he needs a break from mungo.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
No doubt Waverley will be very strong again in 2017.

1. F. Wright - 1sts
2. H. Doyle - 2nds
3. W. McCormack - 1sts
4. E. Rogers Smith - 1sts
5. J. Ellis - 1sts
6. D Zsabo - 2nds
7. T. Murphey - 16As
8. L. Morreti - 1sts
9. M. Bell - 2nds
10. B. Donaldson - 1sts
11. J. Tomaisello - 16As
12. L. Cornish - Injured
13. B. Hardaker - 2nds
14. T. Eyles - 2nds
15. L. Rayner - 2nds

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
Knox looking good for 2017

1. B. Dawson - (1sts)
2. M. Cutrone - (1sts/injured)
3. C. Morrison - (2nds/3rds)
4. T. Humphries - (2nds
5. N. Frost - (1sts/Australian Schoolboys)
6. B. Collins - (2nds)
7. J. Stenning - (2nds)
8. D. Garing - (2nds)
9. B. Hansen - (2nds/3rds)
10. T. Woodcock - (1sts)
11. O. Galleta - (2nds)
12. H. Myers - (1sts/injured)
13. T. Cameron - (16As)
14. T. Brown - (2nds)
15. M. Pavlakis - (2nds)

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Teams, has anyone heard anymore about the changes next year, ie mixing up more games against the GPS etc and 1 CAS and GPS comp round, of which I am very hopeful will happen?

CAS_Rugby Viewer

Stan Wickham (3)
My Waverley side for 2017

#1 Finn Wright
#2 Harley McGuiggan/Hunter Doyle
#3 Will McCormack
#4 Eden Roger-Smith
#5 Daniel Zsabo
#6 Joel Ellis
#7 Conor Molloy/Tadge Murphy
#8 Luca Morreti
#9 Marco Bell
#10 Ben Donaldson
#11 Lachlan Wallace
#12 Broklyn Hardaker
#13 Liam Cornish
#14 ?
#15 ?

Good forward depth but lack outisde backs. Not sure about fullback or another winger. Maybe from the 16's but not to familiar with them

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
My Waverley side for 2017

#1 Finn Wright
#2 Harley McGuiggan/Hunter Doyle
#3 Will McCormack
#4 Eden Roger-Smith
#5 Daniel Zsabo
#6 Joel Ellis
#7 Conor Molloy/Tadge Murphy
#8 Luca Morreti
#9 Marco Bell
#10 Ben Donaldson
#11 Lachlan Wallace
#12 Broklyn Hardaker
#13 Liam Cornish
#14 ?
#15 ?

Good forward depth but lack outisde backs. Not sure about fullback or another winger. Maybe from the 16's but not to familiar with them

i like that team, i think Roger-Smith should swap purely because of rugby knowledge and experience, i dont think roger-smith would jump well or scrummage well.

Jacob Tomasiello from the 16s is the only other winger that springs to mind as he was injured for most of the year, however when he came back he managed to score 5 tries in a late round.

TheXfactor

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone have a 2017 Cranbrook team?

Rogers-Smith will slot into 6 well and has played a lot of rugby so he does know the game well enough, but Moretti is probably better suited at number 8. Both are very good players . and big physical types.

Agree Donaldson is the coolest head and will be front runner for Captain.
Murphy is a shoe in to be in the team as long as he's fit . another big tough talented boy.

Bell gives great service and will be scrum half but the other kid Thorn is an improver and will provide good depth.

It will be hard to find a better and more physical centre pairing than Hardaker and Cornish. The combination of Bell, Donaldson and those 2 will be one of the teams biggest strengths.

Wright is a special for higher honours if he stays fit and maintains the mental discipline he showed last season. He matured a lot and is one special player as is Moretti. Hardaker, Cornish, Rogers-Smith and Murphy are a cut above as well.
Ellis and McCormick will be in the mix for Rep honours.

Towns would have been a handy inclusions but it still looks promising.

Rogers smith has played around 3 games of union in the last 5 or so years, how is that a lot of rugby. But yes morretti is a better 8.

Murphy is a great player, just questioning his ability to be a genuine 7 as that looks to be the only spot for him next year with morretti at 8 and roger smith at 6

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
what's happening with the Waverley gym ... the space is there but nothing appears to be happening? [It won't be a great pre-season ... at least not onsite].

I reckon if they established a "dedicated fund raise" to fully equip a new gym, they would raise a chunk of money, and they might be able to build something that compares with what I know Cranners and Knox have

also I see a new Headmaster has not been secured for 2017, so the deputy Head, will be Acting Head .... I know the Joeys headmaster is not renewing his contract, if WavCol could get him that would be AMAZING

by all accounts Tarlinton has been a great Headmaster ... even if Joeys have had a rare drought (at the highest level)

Tarlinton might even bring back boarders ... sorry day-dreaming, I know it won't happen.
About as likely as Waverley joining St Clares :(

finally I think it is a great initiative for Waverley to move away from Year masters being primary oversight and moving (as I understand it) to a more to house-based system... it is a better way to stamp-out what I call the knuckle-head factor

too many knuckle-heads seem to have a "reset" every year - as a new Year master seems oblivious ... to prior year antics ... kick them into line, or kick them out

that might help pull-up results, and improve discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.