• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Waves

Stan Wickham (3)
hey jumping jack no i mean as whats your "predicted" gen blue teams just good to see other peoples thoughts and reasons behind their chosen players.

west best

Bob McCowan (2)
hey jumping jack no i mean as whats your "predicted" gen blue teams just good to see other peoples thoughts and reasons behind their chosen players.
It may be hard to know at the moment, considering there is still GPS v ISA, CAS v CHS to come on Friday.

notreleasing

Frank Row (1)
any surprise standouts from either game? obviously there were some players we knew were very good but interested to see if anyone unexpected stood out in the rep matches

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
any surprise standouts from either game? obviously there were some players we knew were very good but interested to see if anyone unexpected stood out in the rep matches
Unexpected:

Cas 1sts - Sayoun was very good. Phillipson was also very good.

CAS 2nds Aloys 10 - should move up

Ekanayake for CAS Seconds - should move up.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
You should probably be careful perpetuating something like this which you don't know to be correct, and, which I haven't seen mentioned on these pages, and, with my involvement in the school I know to be incorrect. If you base it on the fact of one team in the age group for both the 14s and 15s, they have 29 and 31 kids in each age group respectively, which is not significantly different to other years (for example, there was only one u16s team in 2019, the same year Aloys First XV beat Waverley's First XV at Death Valley, I'm sure you recall, being not that long ago and when your older boy was either in the opens or 16s).

SAC will never genuinely threaten a title, which has been largely the same for 90 years. It may be better for them to play a whole season of evenly matched 'invitationals' rather than against the better CAS sides, I don't necessarily disagree. But to say that 'in 1-2 years Aloys may not be able to put up a 1st XV team' is way off the mark. There is a strong but small rugby community at the school and it has very genuine support from the School, top down, with a keen will to see it continue. It won't cease to exist.
Hector, sorry, I am sure you mean well, BUT I think you should carefully have a re-read through the thread. I didn't say that, someone else did, I just commented on this viewpoint. Yes I well remember when Aloys won well at Death Valley, and my eldest was in the 16s, it was the 1st time I had ever heard the Aloys 1sts winning song, which is sad.

I have a nephew currently at Aloys, and quite a number of my immediate family have gone through Aloys.
Like many, I wish it was all stronger, albeit that there is a rugby community keen to see it continue.

The fact is at the end of the day, with 9 teams across years 7 -12 it presents many issues like safety, boys enjoying the game, and boys from other schools getting a game.

It is up to the school if it really wants to continue down this path or not.
It's not a good situation but needs to be resolved.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
From a combined CAS/GPS 1st XV , this is my combined team.

1Barrett (Joeys), 2Ata (N), 3Sayoun (B, can play either loose or tighthead), 4McCrea (Scots), 5Cooper (View), 6Villiamu (N), 7di Stasio (Scots), 8Hooper (B), 9Phillipson (B) 10 Katoa (B), 11 Tonga (Kings), 12 Cailoli, 13 Leahy (Joeys), 14 Taukamo (New GPS 2nds) 15 MJorgensen Joeys (Capt).

If Katoa is available post his Tongan national team duties he demands selection.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Preketes may offer more around the field but I thought he had a tough day at scrum today and I would have given Goddard the points at scrum over Barrett. However Barrett was outstanding around the field. CAS were gun shy here as they lost the game at scrum last year.
Yep they lost the scrum last year because they got the props wrong. Had the CAS chosen Black (Knox) and Smith 9Wavesa) as props then the GPS pack would have been drilled IMO, particularly with the 2 second rowers we had, which we did not have this year, not to mention no Ned Slack Smith at 8 last year.
That pack was just lethal.

Let's move on, but it is just another example of how the CAS selectors get it wrong, hurts even more when you have extreme talent and still get it wrong.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I assume 1954 is the year you were born? Making you 68? If this is the case, start acting like it.

Whats more childish - asking for 15 players from the school you support to fill the spare spots of a higher rep team, or calling out that obvious bias?

I know Rod is part of the furniture at Barker but maybe once in a while you could call out how ridiculous it sounds when he can’t see the positives of kids from any school unless they are wearing red.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
From a combined CAS/GPS 1st XV , this is my combined team.

1Barrett (Joeys), 2Ata (N), 3Sayoun (B, can play either loose or tighthead), 4McCrea (Scots), 5Cooper (View), 6Villiamu (N), 7di Stasio (Scots), 8Hooper (B), 9Phillipson (B) 10 Katoa (B), 11 Tonga (Kings), 12 Cailoli, 13 Leahy (Joeys), 14 Taukamo (New GPS 2nds) 15 MJorgensen Joeys (Capt).

If Katoa is available post his Tongan national team duties he demands selection.

Sayoun was better than Barrett.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The CAS forwards were belted. The 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 were man handled each time they ran the ball.

The number 8 and 6 in particular, who should be the dominant ball carriers, did not bring that for the team as they should have.

They started to tip pass in the end with better outcomes over carrying the ball.

I agree with with everything you've said Jack. The GPS pack seemed to play at a higher intensity for longer periods of time over the entire match then letting it sing to their Centers who had a field day. Over the past I have thought CAS were going to go through GPS with their Big is Beautiful model but the GPS teams just keep going and going and letting the backs get it done.

Rae Rae

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree that the best CAS schools compete with the best GPS schools.

However, this year there are five GPS schools that are of round about the same high standard, whereas there are three CAS schools (out of six) with a chance of winning the competition. Which means that GPS is choosing from a larger pool of good quality players. The results, therefore, aren't a surprise.

That said, I do think CAS could do better with smarter selection.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree that the best CAS schools compete with the best GPS schools.

However, this year there are five GPS schools that are of round about the same high standard, whereas there are three CAS schools (out of six) with a chance of winning the competition. Which means that GPS is choosing from a larger pool of good quality players. The results, therefore, aren't a surprise.

That said, I do think CAS could do better with smarter selection.
Which GPS school are you excluding? Arguably there are 6 quality GPS schools this year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort said 5 GPS schools of the same standard - I was asking which of the 6 he was excluding.
Well, I think Shore is still a bit off the pace, but I agree there's not much between them and Kings. The point I was making is unchanged: GPS has 5-6 schools of high competitive standard, CAS has three.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Well, I think Shore is still a bit off the pace, but I agree there's not much between them and Kings. The point I was making is unchanged: GPS has 5-6 schools of high competitive standard, CAS has three.
Snort, before you cop a backlash here, I do think you are a bit off the pulse.
Shore are very much on the pace this year, and across many age groups. So you would have to think their future is very bright!

Newington likewise, and the other GPS schools are consistently strong.

Even though the GPS have a few more stronger schools, the CAS schools consistently beat the GPS schools at school level, so there is no real excuse at Rep level, other than the CAS selection process is extremely political and poor, which it is, and thus we lose more often than we should.