• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Waves

Stan Wickham (3)
the 7 for CAS was taking carrie’s and made it passed the advantage line every carry. it was hard for the 11 as he usually comes in to take a carry giving the forwards a extra second to get set for their runs

Waves

Stan Wickham (3)
and i do agree the both will and praketes are great players but praketes also gives other opportunities in general play such as runs

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
the 7 for CAS was taking carrie’s and made it passed the advantage line every carry. it was hard for the 11 as he usually comes in to take a carry giving the forwards a extra second to get set for their runs
The 7 (Halatakoa) did better with the ball than most the other forwards (would be close to second best with close carries), but he looked out of place in the backline. What he will get picked for gen blue was his breakdown work in defense. He was the best in slowing down the ball and stole it 4 or 5 times.

The 11 (Jahnke-Tavana) looked disinterested in defense. Let in an easy try without even trying. He was classy on kick returns and with the ball in hand.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
When watching the CAS school teams play I don't see much cohesion. Maybe they have had some key players out? There is a lot of potential improvement in each of Knox, Wav and Barker (i havent seen the other teams). There is plenty of talent in CAS teams but its like watching teams at the beginning of the season. The GPS school teams and today, the GPS team appear like they have been playing together much longer. Something I also notice when watching the GPS school teams, is that they are increasingly playing similar styles of rugby which makes it easier when the best players come together for the GPS teams. Anyway, its just the beginning of representative honours for many of these boys who I'm sure will do great.
No Katoa didn’t help.

He is playing a mens international game instead.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
When watching the CAS school teams play I don't see much cohesion. Maybe they have had some key players out? There is a lot of potential improvement in each of Knox, Wav and Barker (i havent seen the other teams). There is plenty of talent in CAS teams but its like watching teams at the beginning of the season. The GPS school teams and today, the GPS team appear like they have been playing together much longer. Something I also notice when watching the GPS school teams, is that they are increasingly playing similar styles of rugby which makes it easier when the best players come together for the GPS teams. Anyway, its just the beginning of representative honours for many of these boys who I'm sure will do great.
It's a good observation Albi,

Both Rep associations have exactly the same preparation time so no excuses there.

IMO there is a difference in style between the CAS schools, Knox normally play a more pick and drive forward style, Waves are more like Randwick ie ball runners, and Barker are probably somewhere in between. I am not in a position to comment on the other 3 schools, although Cranbrook can play an expansive game depending on the year.

I would guess that the GPS schools also don't all play the same style, eg Joeys are runners, all over the ball and expansive, other schools are different.

So that attempts to answer your question about styles, happy to be corrected.

Now, the stronger CAS schools are competitive with the GPS schools, in fact, the CAS school frequently win.
So the talent pool isn't a complete mismatch.

The REAL difference IMO, which happens every single year, is that the strongest CAS team isn't ever picked.
Happened last year, via the wrong props, and many of us expected the CAS to win comfortably, as the CAS schools did v the GPS schools they played, with some big margins.

I also believe the GPS don't always pick their strongest team, there were a few notable cases last year. But I do believe the GPS gets it more correct. Politics has always been, and will always probably be, ever present, this year it was most notable IMO.
Some very strange selections between the CAS 1s and 2s.

Interested to see if I am dreaming, or others agree!

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)

Both Rep associations have exactly the same preparation time so no excuses there.

IMO there is a difference in style between the CAS schools, Knox normally play a more pick and drive forward style, Waves are more like Randwick ie ball runners, and Barker are probably somewhere in between. I am not in a position to comment on the other 3 schools, although Cranbrook can play an expansive game depending on the year.

I would guess that the GPS schools also don't all play the same style, eg Joeys are runners, all over the ball and expansive, other schools are different.

Now, the stronger CAS schools are competitive with the GPS schools, in fact, the CAS school frequently win.

The REAL difference IMO, which happens every single year, is that the strongest CAS team isn't ever picked.
Happened last year, via the wrong props, and many of us expected the CAS to win comfortably, as the CAS schools did v the GPS schools they played, with some big margins.

I also believe the GPS don't always pick their strongest team, there were a few notable cases last year. But I do believe the GPS gets it more correct. Politics has always been, and will always probably be, ever present, this year it was most notable IMO.

This is the issue.

Easily seen by the fact Barker beat Cranbrook 40-7. Yet there were the same amount of players from each team in CAS. No wonder the kids looked out of place.

Waverley lost to Knox by 4, yet Knox have double the players involved.

Some glaring ones as well. Playing the Barker 15 in the opens pathway was a disaster. How many kids have played opens CAS from u16’s? Not even Pollard did that. It’s just a poor choice.

The question is then, how do we fix it?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
My 2 cents on the game was that the forwards battle was pretty even. Neither team was dominant at scrum time, and other than 1 lineout loss to each team meant the set piece was square. Both halves had excellent games with crisp accurate passing. The difference in teams started from 5/8th outwards. To be honest there was no one in the CAS 2nds backline that would have made any significant difference. The speed differential of GPS backs v CAS was clear, plus they had almost no handling errors. Sadly for this year CAS side the selectors just did not have the players available to match GPS especially in the backs. I know I will get clobbered for this but of the 5 Barker players unavailable 4 were backs. (Macdonald, Biet, Kennedy & Katoa). That fact hurt the depth of talent pool available to selectors for both CAS teams. They went with the best players available and lost fair and square. I know Macdonald is gone for the season but the others may make an appearance later in the year.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
My 2 cents on the game was that the forwards battle was pretty even. Neither team was dominant at scrum time, and other than 1 lineout loss to each team meant the set piece was square. Both halves had excellent games with crisp accurate passing. The difference in teams started from 5/8th outwards. To be honest there was no one in the CAS 2nds backline that would have made any significant difference. The speed differential of GPS backs v CAS was clear, plus they had almost no handling errors. Sadly for this year CAS side the selectors just did not have the players available to match GPS especially in the backs. I know I will get clobbered for this but of the 5 Barker players unavailable 4 were backs. (Macdonald, Biet, Kennedy & Katoa). That fact hurt the depth of talent pool available to selectors for both CAS teams. They went with the best players available and lost fair and square. I know Macdonald is gone for the season but the others may make an appearance later in the year.

The CAS forwards were belted. The 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 were man handled each time they ran the ball.

The number 8 and 6 in particular, who should be the dominant ball carriers, did not bring that for the team as they should have.

They started to tip pass in the end with better outcomes over carrying the ball.

Last edited:

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)

How unexpected Rod.

We needed more Barker players?

Just suit up 15 of them for CAS firsts next year!

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Rod, No one will argue about Katoa, the other Barker backs I know not well, and you may well be right.

What I do know is that if you win the battle of the forwards, thus ball retention, you will win most games.
This team DID NOT have the best CAS forward side available, same as last year, some in the 2s should have been in the 1s, 1 very notable.

For what it's worth I also don't think, bar a very few, the talent was anywhere near as good in both associations, as last year, which happens.

Sounds like we are actually agreeing that the best team is not being chosen.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The CAS forwards were belted. The 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 were man handled each time they ran the ball.

The number 8 and 6 in particular, who should be the dominant ball carriers, did not bring that for the team as they should have.

They started to tip pass in the end with better outcomes over carrying the ball.
You clearly watched a different game to me.

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)

Totally agree with you that the stronger CAS schools are competitive with GPS schools and the trials show that. I do think Joeys, Scots, View and Kings are all playing a very similiar style of rugby. Joeys have changed this year a bit - Kings brutalised Joeys in the final of the last completed rugby season and I noticed that Joeys have this year moved back towards bigger 3 pod ball runners and defenders similiar to what Scots do + they have Jorgenson! Newington play more like the top CAS schools.

Mix up the CAS and GPS boys at the next rep level and I think we will see that many CAS boys perform much better.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, No one will argue about Katoa, the other Barker backs I know not well, and you may well be right.

What I do know is that if you win the battle of the forwards, thus ball retention, you will win most games.
This team DID NOT have the best CAS forward side available, same as last year, some in the 2s should have been in the 1s, 1 very notable.

For what it's worth I also don't think, bar a very few, the talent was anywhere near as good in both associations, as last year, which happens.

Sounds like we are actually agreeing that the best team is not being chosen.
Agreed. I only saw Trinity Barker and Knox previous to todays game. I don't know any of the talent in the Waves side this year so cannot comment on who could have been selected. The CAS forwards came very close to scoring on at least 3 occasions but in the end failed to convert. GPS did not score any points from tight forward play. Both of Barrett's tries came from broken play out wide. One when he ran over the halfback and fullback (both Barker ) from inside the 22.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
No.

But when your 8 is picked up and carried backwards and starts dropping the ball - that’s when your pack knows it is being beaten.
He is not my 8. He is the one chosen by the CAS selectors. In my opinion he outplayed his Joeys counterpart. So yes he got put on his arse a few times but he was one of the CAS forwards best ball runners on the day.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
He is not my 8. He is the one chosen by the CAS selectors. In my opinion he outplayed his Joeys counterpart. So yes he got put on his arse a few times but he was one of the CAS forwards best ball runners on the day.
Apologies when I say “your 8”, I don’t mean yours. But as in as a forward, when your 8.
I hope that clarifies.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I thought he did some great things - those kick off steals - his aerial game was top notch stealing those kick offs - his tip on passes - his lineout work was superb- he stole two lineout balls - his defensive awareness.

But as a ball carrier, he was belted.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Agreed. I only saw Trinity Barker and Knox previous to todays game. I don't know any of the talent in the Waves side this year so cannot comment on who could have been selected. The CAS forwards came very close to scoring on at least 3 occasions but in the end failed to convert. GPS did not score any points from tight forward play. Both of Barrett's tries came from broken play out wide. One when he ran over the halfback and fullback (both Barker ) from inside the 22.

You know what Rod, now that I think about it, and it applies to both associations.
This is what you get when you choose rep teams after only 1 comp game, yes there have been earlier games but many will argue that things are tested then, the comp requires every team to put it's best team up.

Mind you politics is still an unhinged factor.

In the good OLD DAYS these teams got picked after a full season, so lots of viewing occurred!
Why these rep games are being played now I don't know, maybe HSC exams, but the rep season is very short, it worked in the good old days, and we all did the HSC, these days many boys don't.