• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
So, for anyone who's interested, here's what I did during lockdown. It's my best attempt at compiling full CAS competition records since 1930. It's imperfect: records of scorers, for example, have not always been kept, and nor have basic match scores of all games. But it's better than nothing. Records relate only to official Plume Shield competition games and to the old "unofficial" competition, which was the last five games of each season. If you spot errors or omissions, let me know!
Great work Snort!

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
So, for anyone who's interested, here's what I did during lockdown. It's my best attempt at compiling full CAS competition records since 1930. It's imperfect: records of scorers, for example, have not always been kept, and nor have basic match scores of all games. But it's better than nothing. Records relate only to official Plume Shield competition games and to the old "unofficial" competition, which was the last five games of each season. If you spot errors or omissions, let me know!
Very impressive compilation.... DJ Wormald had a day out in 1940!

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)

Love this historical material! Well done.
One correction. In 1991 Knox and Barker were joint winners. Both winning 4 losing 1. Knox beat Barker 16-15 but lost to Cranbrook. Barker's only loss was the one to Knox.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Love this historical material! Well done.
One correction. In 1991 Knox and Barker were joint winners. Both winning 4 losing 1. Knox beat Barker 16-15 but lost to Cranbrook. Barker's only loss was the one to Knox.
Thanks, I'll check and correct.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Games for this weekend

Waves v Riverview
Shore v Knox
St Pats v St Aloysius
Scots v Barker
Oakhill v Trinity
Pius v Cranbrook

Waves, Knox, Pats, Scots, Oakhill, Cranbrook/

But wouldn't be surprised by 0 from 6.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Waverley
Shore
Aloys
$cots
Oakhill
Cranbrook
Waves
Shore
Pats
Barker
Oaks
Cranbrook.

The magic dust of Katoa back for Barker this weekend. Son goes to and plays for Oakhill and the mistakes Barker made last weekend will not happen with him running the show.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Snort, I have been locked out for quite a while, I kept asking for a new password (don't know why the old 1 didn't work as per previous), and the mods never sent me an email with a way to change the password, anyway, I have fixed it with a new email address.

My take guys so far from 2 games. The Waves have a long way to go, beaten by Shore (this is a GOOD Shore side! and it would be great for Shore if they could win the GPS this year!) Clearly Joeys will, as usual, be the major hurdle I would think.
Have heard that Scots will be solid as always, and Newington should be strong (they were a young side last year).
Don't know much about View except that they, like the Waves, have lost their opening 2 games.
Neither Waves or View are anywhere near as strong as last year.
IMO, both would have won their respective comps last years had they finished.

Waves also lost to Kings at Death Valley last Sat 15 - 0, Waves had their chances but the better side won, Kings are also a well drilled side, with a big fast backline, and Kings will threaten this year. It will be interesting to see how they go this Sat v Joeys at Kings, whilst a trial, it will still be telling.
(Everyone wants to win every game, Trials is a loose term, imo, every 1st XV team goes out to win! ).

Barker look the clear favs in the CAS this year, followed by Knox. Don't know much about Cranbrook ( but suspect their side isn't as good as last year), know nothing about Trinity and Aloys, but suspect they will do their best.
Waves could surprise, they look good on paper, but so far , not good on grass!

I agree with Handspank's choices this weekend.

Snort, I am VERY interested to see your historical work, how do we access/can we, as yet, access your material?

Cheers WLF3 (Same old WLF)

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Snort, I know you are aware, but for those who aren't, if it helps in filling out the CAS Rugby winners each year in your analysis, refer to the CAS Rugby Winners website. Every year is listed, and whilst there may be conjecture that there was no formal CAS comp of many years, in the 70's etc, (no idea why as it was all the same, whoever won the best of the 6 CAS schools won the CAS comp, forget talk about non CAS schools playing fill in games - never countered as they have never been CAS schools nor have played across the multitude of sports other than Rugby. I would also point out that not all of the 6 schools joined the CAS at the same time, so some title wins are limited to just fewer schools. I think Trinity is one, and I know Waves didn't join until 1943. Just a bit of perspective.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, I know you are aware, but for those who aren't, if it helps in filling out the CAS Rugby winners each year in your analysis, refer to the CAS Rugby Winners website. Every year is listed, and whilst there may be conjecture that there was no formal CAS comp of many years, in the 70's etc, (no idea why as it was all the same, whoever won the best of the 6 CAS schools won the CAS comp, forget talk about non CAS schools playing fill in games - never countered as they have never been CAS schools nor have played across the multitude of sports other than Rugby. I would also point out that not all of the 6 schools joined the CAS at the same time, so some title wins are limited to just fewer schools. I think Trinity is one, and I know Waves didn't join until 1943. Just a bit of perspective.
Thanks WLF. I didn't get to checking all the "unofficial premiers" in years when the Plume Shield wasn't awarded, but the CAS website isn't entirely correct: there are one or two errors there that I have spotted.

Five schools contested the first Plume Shield in 1930. Waverley's first CAS competition match was played on 8 July1944: they beat St Aloysius 51-6.

RugbyRant

Frank Row (1)
Hi all, looking forwards to this weekends fixtures. News out of the Cranbrook camp says the 1sts are shaping up as underdogs for the Henry Plume Shield. The team features a strong 16s contingent coming from last year and some solid players in year 12. Predicting a convincing win this weekend against Pius but the brook first's big test is against Riverview at View in a few weeks. Does anyone else know of Cranbrook's chances this year?

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
SAC v SPC teams

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 349

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Yellow card for Knox right on halftime, shore score to make it 12-7 to shore at the break… knox have had 3 tries held up over the line