• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Shots On

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally, I can’t believe Cranbrook 2s outside centre Oscar Wilson was left out. As well as Nick Swain, certainly deserved to make shadow squad. Another questionable decision with Baxter Senior (WC) also missing out.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I would put Sagala at 13. Having watched him contain the Jorgenson boys from Joeys in the Barker win over Joeys, I am surprised he was not selected. His defence is water tight. The following week the Joeys outside backs had a day out against Knox. The last round of CAS will tell all. I think some Trinity lads have been unlucky. Did Finau, Kennedy, or MacDonald play against Cranbrook today? I know Katoa did but the other three on the unavailable list play today??. A 40/7 scoreline without those 3 is a impressive result if they did not.

I would put Sagala at 13. Having watched him contain the Jorgenson boys from Joeys in the Barker win over Joeys, I am surprised he was not selected. His defence is water tight. The following week the Joeys outside backs had a day out against Knox. The last round of CAS will tell all. I think some Trinity lads have been unlucky. Did Finau, Kennedy, or MacDonald play against Cranbrook today? I know Katoa did but the other three on the unavailable list play today??. A 40/7 scoreline without those 3 is a impressive result if they did not.
No they were all injured, I’m pretty sure as not on the team sheet today. Matt Hanley at 6 for Barker today unlucky not to even make shadows

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Rod, Archie Saunders had his head cut open and required plastic surgery in the first minute against joeys. Came from the field which required a reshuffle in the Knox backline with a 2s player having to bank 69 minutes after playing a full game of 2s

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, Archie Saunders had his head cut open and required plastic surgery in the first minute against joeys. Came from the field which required a reshuffle in the Knox backline with a 2s player having to bank 69 minutes after playing a full game of 2s
I did not realise that was Archie who went off. He was certainly missed that day. I was at the game. Still Sagala with his league background was bullet proof against Joeys the week before. Anyway a big congrats to all that made the CAS teams.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Big surprise is Obaseki ranked as third-best hooker. Next surprise is how many players Cranbrook has - 9 to Waverley's 6. I am not backing Cranbrook to beat Waverely. Can't complain with Bailey from Aloysius getting a game - he was good today. Mind you, Aloysius has two in the squads to Trinity's one, and Trinity beat them very easily today.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Has there been any nrl boys who missed outNot sure who is committed apart from Katoa. Just seeing if there is a movement here by CAS.
Don’t forget some boys will be in the 16s team as well.
a few surprises in gps as well.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Big surprise is Obaseki ranked as third-best hooker. Next surprise is how many players Cranbrook has - 9 to Waverley's 6. I am not backing Cranbrook to beat Waverely. Can't complain with Bailey from Aloysius getting a game - he was good today. Mind you, Aloysius has two in the squads to Trinity's one, and Trinity beat them very easily today.
Snort, I was at the Knox v Waves game at Knox, a terrific schoolboys game, and as the Knox gents have said, yes could well have gone either way.
Waves gave Knox 2 tries, 1 when on the knox try line which ended in a Knox 100m intercept, so a 14 point turnaround, and in the last 5 mins a charge down under the posts to Knox. Absolutely no gripes, as Knox took their chances, that's Footy!

As you would expect a very happy Knox side at stumps, you can not beat the passion, and play, of schoolboy footy!
Much rather watch the boys than higher level technical dribble.

Waves can beat Barker at Death Valley, rest assured, which means if Knox can beat Barker at Barker then Knox will either win the comp, or it will be shared.

I did just see the CAS Rep sides, as usual politics wins over. How either of the Waves props aren't in the 1s I don't know, certainly our Captain AJ Pret. I would have thought was a given, and he was powerful again today, and was in the CAS 1s last year.

Barker and Knox have the vast majority in the CAS 1s, cannot understand why given todays games and the past few weeks.
The selectors got the front row horribly wrong last year, which left all those in the know absolutely bewildered, both Knox and Waves supporters, and we got drilled in the scrums, had they picked the obvious and best front rowers, Black (Knox) and Smith ( Waves) the GPS scrum would have been well and truly trampled.

I certainly hope we win this time, but WOW its as usual amazing! GO OUR CAS TEAM!,

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
It's odd, too, that Barker hammered Cranbrook today, yet both got nine players in the squads!
Barker had Katoa unavailable and 3 others out injured. That said the replacements could be considered hard done by considering the margin over Brook. Also Trinity is under represented. Was at the Trinity Barker game and the Trinity lads put in plenty of work against a dominant Barker side. They deserved a few more in the 2nds and wider squad.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Barker had Katoa unavailable and 3 others out injured. That said the replacements could be considered hard done by considering the margin over Brook. Also Trinity is under represented. Was at the Trinity Barker game and the Trinity lads put in plenty of work against a dominant Barker side. They deserved a few more in the 2nds and wider squad.
Rod, you do need to see the other teams before saying that Barker "replacements", and Trinity, should have got more players in the CAS rep teams.
Have a look back at which CAS teams have beaten the GPS teams, suspect Trinity none, and just because Trinity pushed Barker a bit doesn't mean Trinity should have more players in the mix.

P.S. Waves will beat Barker at Death Valley! My OL Buddy!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, you do need to see the other teams before saying that Barker "replacements", and Trinity, should have got more players in the CAS rep teams.
Have a look back at which CAS teams have beaten the GPS teams, suspect Trinity none, and just because Trinity pushed Barker a bit doesn't mean Trinity should have more players in the mix.

P.S. Waves will beat Barker at Death Valley! My OL Buddy!
I have said nothing about representation other than Trinity was underdone. I was stating the obvious that Barker beat Brook by some margin and without 3 key players so to end up with the same number of players across both teams seems a bit odd. I have seen Barker, Knox and Trinity play this year for the record.
Waves are always tough to beat at Death Valley but in recent years the Reds have equipped themselves well there and I expect the same this year.

Waves

Stan Wickham (3)
what do yous think with the CAS teams going into tuesday against our longtime rivals the AAGPS!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, I have seen Trinity twice this season, watching the games with green and white eyes (which I actually have, come to think of it). Trinity has won both games I saw (one in preseason), yet I don't think there was any player who could consider himself hard done by in the representative selections. They just don't have any standouts, apart from their captain who deservedly gets a run in CAS 2s. I can't explain, though, how Cranbrook has had two heavy losses yet gets as many in the two CAS teams as Barker, who hammered them, and three more than Waverley, who will hammer them when the time comes.

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)
1st time poster…background is Joeys but that was many years ago. It was nice to watch Knox V Wav yesterday as now have family in CAS. First impression was that both teams made a lot of mistakes but especially Knox. There is so much potential in the performances of Knox…and Wav. Knox constantly let Wav’s back in the game by what looked to be simple ‘switching off’ at critical times. for eg, kick off early, most of the kicking was poor, own throw line out loss close to wavs line, committing too few to the breakdown at critical moments…(Wav 7 was very good)….it must have been so frustrating for the coaches.
Individually, most of the time, they look great but there’s something missing in the coaching or boys decision making/awareness. Get this right and Knox will start winning games by 30+ points. I haven’t seen any other games or schoolboy rugby for a while so maybe I’m expecting too much but I’m interested in Knox supporters view. I have experienced Joeys winning games convincingly with far less individual talent than I saw yesterday.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Waves are always tough to beat at Death Valley but in recent years the Reds have equipped themselves well there and I expect the same this year.
Barker have only beaten Waverley twice in the last 8 years. And only once at Death Valley Rod. (And they needed a 19 year old in the team and a dropped ball over the line for their last try to do it!)