• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Great results for Cranbrook across the board with the 2s having a 1 point win over Waverley (15-14) from a penalty goal in the dying minutes and 1s having a cracking game in the mud ending in a draw. 2s now confident to win the the competition after going undefeated through three rounds beating Knox and Barker. This would be the first time in I believe over 20 years.
A great result for Cranbrook, and I am guessing it's from a lot of hard work, you might be lucky in the odd game, but to win the comp you need more than just luck. This is terrific for CAS rugby, hopefully no longer is it a 3 horse race, and next year is shaping up well for Cranbrook in the Opens.

Had the pleasure of watching Cranbrook play Waverley yesterday. Great game of footy. The Cranbrook forwards went toe to toe with Waverley and well and truly matched them .
Number 4,8,10 and 15 pick of Waverley.
Waverley backs very sharp.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Thought I would add my 2 cents on one of the more entertaining games of this years CAS season which started with a cracking second 15 game ending with a 38 meter odd penalty kick for the win special shout out to Waverley 9 and 15 who i thought they were there best on, on the day for their team.Cranbrook's 10 Ned Patterson formerly named (The Iceman) stepped up to slot his second game winner of the season bring Cranbrook seconds for and against to plus 3 over there 3 games remaining undefeated.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Cranbrook started strong scoring first through Nosa Obaseki only for Waverley to go on to score 4 unanswered tries through some lovely eyes up kicking footy. Both teams set out with a kicking mindset due to the conditions in some instances of 3 or 4 kicks in a row for each team was a tough running game for the forwards on each packs. Number 7 for Waverley was incredibly strong over the ball Ethan Halatokoua. Cranbrook went on a run of their own scoring 3 unanswered tries leading to the game being tied only for the possible game winning kick to be just short. I believe only one or 2 minutes was played after that leading to a knock on and then the game being called a sad ending to what could of been an iconic schoolboy rugby late winner for either team. I would imagine it is the first time in many years that both Cranbrook ones and seconds have both remained undefeated against the College Of Knowledge as we all know the recent history between this eastern suburbs derby. All round great day of schoolboy rugby.

Last edited:

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi tackle by Aloys 13 leads to head to head contact between him and Barkers 15. Leaving him unconscious. That’s what happens when you have two very unevenly matches teams playing. Dangerous for everyone.
The Incident was a head clash, not a high tackle, both players were not balanced and an unfortunate incident, nothing to do with the unevenness of the teams, could have happened in any other game this weekend.

SkyBlue

Banned
The Incident was a head clash, not a high tackle, both players were not balanced and an unfortunate incident, nothing to do with the unevenness of the teams, could have happened in any other game this weekend.
As I said "head-to-head contact." It occurred because of bad tackle technique. Almost identical to the red card that led to Angus Taavao being red carded against Ireland last fortnight. It is absolutely dangerous to have schools of such a different calibre match up, whether you think this incident was a result of that or not. Dangerous for both parties involved.

The Colonel

Frank Row (1)
Yes just unfortunate and happens when playing contact sport. Aloys boys put in all afternoon and the Barker boys played hard and with great respect. Barker Capt. Katoa is a class act as he was with his after match speech.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
The penultimate round of CAS Rugby. It seems that the CAS Rugby will pass sooner than this year's winter.

Some interesting games this week. Though, with last week's unpredicted draw, who knows what may surprise us this week.

At least the weather looks good and the grounds should not be replete with ooze and mud.

The big one is undoubtedly Waverley versus Barker at Queens Park. It will be interesting how Waverley comes back from their unexpected draw last week. At home I am sure Waverley will attempt to use their typical chaotic flamboyance to good effect against Barker. However, with their well-funded cohesion Barker may to control the game with the smarts of their stylish 5/8 guiding his powerful forwards around the park. A bit of heart versus head in deciding the winner, but this game should be fascinating. Tough and skillful with a fascinating uncertainty about the result. It could be a brutal game, though most watchable. Waverley is at home and will be playing for pride, though I think Barker have more to win. I do not know who to pick, but this is one game Knox supporters would be wish for a decisive Waverley victory.

Trinity hosts Cranbrook in what should be a good open game. Trinity returns home after a bit of a touch-up last week at Wahroonga. I was surprised at how weak Trinity looked; though they did have some strong players. Especially in the forward pack. However they come up against quite a strong group of forwards with Cranbrook. Trinity will cause some early issues with some big forward runs and can capitalize on errors, but I think Cranbrook is a more complete side and will come out on top by 10 points at least. Of note is that Cranbrook has good depth - with their seconds topping the table. This should be an attractive game to watch, with Trinity well in it until the final 20 minutes. Though it will be won in the forwards, the backs should get enough space to amuse the fans,

St Aloysius is up against Knox. This is seemingly going to be a bit of a one sided affair unfortunately ( I fear that the scrums may end up being uncontested). On paper Knox are too big, too strong and too skillful. However Knox always seems to struggle at Willoughby. And Aloys always play with passion and style. But this week it is hard to predict anything but a victory for Knox. Their forwards will create a platform to allow their backs to run amuck (even though Knox do tend to use their forwards to score their tries). Their will be flashes of class from Alys, especially from their 10, and they will probably surprise Knox at times. I wouldn't say threaten victory, but if Knox are distracted and are thinking about the last round, they will see points scored against them. The easiest game to predict: Knox by a sizeable margin. One interesting aspect of Aloy's Rugby; though currently in a bit of a parlous state I believe that they are the only CAS school to have had a player represent the Wallabies at the last two Rugby World Cups.

A bit of a ramble and I probably didn't say much, but my thoughts on this week.

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
I assume that there's going to be a large crowd at the Aloys v Knox game due to a doubleheader, (soccer and then Rugby), am an old boy and has always been something that the 1st XV really get up for, you'd assume Knox will still get up by a decent margin but nonetheless should be a decent atmosphere.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
The penultimate round of CAS Rugby. It seems that the CAS Rugby will pass sooner than this year's winter.

Some interesting games this week. Though, with last week's unpredicted draw, who knows what may surprise us this week.

At least the weather looks good and the grounds should not be replete with ooze and mud.

The big one is undoubtedly Waverley versus Barker at Queens Park. It will be interesting how Waverley comes back from their unexpected draw last week. At home I am sure Waverley will attempt to use their typical chaotic flamboyance to good effect against Barker. However, with their well-funded cohesion Barker may to control the game with the smarts of their stylish 5/8 guiding his powerful forwards around the park. A bit of heart versus head in deciding the winner, but this game should be fascinating. Tough and skillful with a fascinating uncertainty about the result. It could be a brutal game, though most watchable. Waverley is at home and will be playing for pride, though I think Barker have more to win. I do not know who to pick, but this is one game Knox supporters would be wish for a decisive Waverley victory.

Trinity hosts Cranbrook in what should be a good open game. Trinity returns home after a bit of a touch-up last week at Wahroonga. I was surprised at how weak Trinity looked; though they did have some strong players. Especially in the forward pack. However they come up against quite a strong group of forwards with Cranbrook. Trinity will cause some early issues with some big forward runs and can capitalize on errors, but I think Cranbrook is a more complete side and will come out on top by 10 points at least. Of note is that Cranbrook has good depth - with their seconds topping the table. This should be an attractive game to watch, with Trinity well in it until the final 20 minutes. Though it will be won in the forwards, the backs should get enough space to amuse the fans,

St Aloysius is up against Knox. This is seemingly going to be a bit of a one sided affair unfortunately ( I fear that the scrums may end up being uncontested). On paper Knox are too big, too strong and too skillful. However Knox always seems to struggle at Willoughby. And Aloys always play with passion and style. But this week it is hard to predict anything but a victory for Knox. Their forwards will create a platform to allow their backs to run amuck (even though Knox do tend to use their forwards to score their tries). Their will be flashes of class from Alys, especially from their 10, and they will probably surprise Knox at times. I wouldn't say threaten victory, but if Knox are distracted and are thinking about the last round, they will see points scored against them. The easiest game to predict: Knox by a sizeable margin. One interesting aspect of Aloy's Rugby; though currently in a bit of a parlous state I believe that they are the only CAS school to have had a player represent the Wallabies at the last two Rugby World Cups.

A bit of a ramble and I probably didn't say much, but my thoughts on this week.
Yes Elfster it will be interesting to see how the Waves perform this Sat.

There will be a large crowd for sure, let's see if Death Valley comes into play.

Knox should account for Aloys comfortably you would expect.
Cranbrook should also chalk up a win v Trinity.

I just hope the grounds are all dry and running rugby returns as opposed to the bogs of last week.

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Disappointing to see that Aloys aren’t fronting up A teams against Knox in the U14s or 15s. Doesn’t bode well for the depth of their programme in coming years.

Delbert Jenkins

Frank Row (1)
Hello All,
I've been hearing some positive news from a lad I know within the Aloysius camp. Apparently, there's a newcomer coming in just after coming out of an injury - An inside centre with the last name clarkon??

Nonetheless, I'm hoping for a good game for the men in gold, with their famous "Double-header" - It would be great for the lads to get a CAS win, especially for the leavers. Let a man dream!! I agree with WLF's point surrounding the bogs of the last round, hopefully, the ground staff are able to fix this for the lads.

Kudos,
Jenkins out.

SkyBlue

Banned
I think the Waverley Barker game could be one for the ages tomorrow. I think Barker is currently the best team in NSW, but Waverley at home are always potent. Also, Barker has just come off a game against Aloys, where they weren't challenged in the slightest, and Waverley will be looking for revenge after getting embarrassed by Cranbrook... Modern day clash of the titans.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker v Waves at Death Valley is always a huge game. Waverly always lift for this game. It is the danger game for Barker and with at least 3 regular 1st XV starters out it will test their depth. Katoa, Hooper and the entire Reds front row will ensure the game is competitive. But Waves at home is the hardest game of the year for any school to win. Underestimate the double V at your peril.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
14As. Barker defeated Waves 29/24 in a close game. Barkers 14As undefeated in CAS heading into next weeks finale against Knox.