• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Tony_weave531

Allen Oxlade (6)

wiggy smalls

Frank Row (1)
expecting a big game from matty Hanley a year 11 from barker with great potential. He is a dominant forward hitting rucks like there's no tomorrow. I expect him and ned Ericsson to have a great go at each other after hearing that there's a bit of bad blood after one tangled with another's girlfriend. expecting this to be physical.

Cheds forever
Ned never

TheMan112

Frank Row (1)
It is the week of all weeks.

It is rare that in our great competition, everything boils down to one game between two schools that have despised & competed with each other since the sun rose on our great north shore. Rarely do we have the privilege of this occasion being for the most contested and respected shield of all - the Henry Plume Shield.

Before I give my predictions and thoughts for the game, allow me to first provide some context on just how unique this game is between these two groups of 15.

Under 13’s
Knox and Barker first faced at Knox’s home ground on Gillespie, with both sides conceding to Waverley and were playing for second place. Due to a poor string of refereeing decisions and a sub par squad, Knox concedes at their home ground and thus - a rivalry was born. Only a handful of those under 13’s would continue on to the first XV this Saturday however the hurt has endured.

Under 14’s
With the introduction of powerhouse Jarrah McLeod, Knox again held the home field advantage and went out guns blazing. Jarrah on debut in the derby managed to score a double. Barker responded briskly and equalled Knox on points, resulting in a tie and marks the last time these groups of men would play on Knox territory.

Under 15’s
As Knox makes its way to Barker, they prepare to stay, as Knox will never face Barker anywhere else. Knox coming off a better season, with particular mention to Archie Saunders and Jarrah Mcleods combination in the centres being born, Knox was confident it would challenge barker. However, Barker had begun their first acquisition of many to come - their future No. 13, starting a perpetual tradition that would break the bank of Barker. The fate of Knox was sealed when a Barker teacher disguised in the blue, red, white and gold strip hopped on the field - Immediate yellow cards to numerous Knox players inside the opening 20 drowned Knox’s hopes and dreams, the score - a blowout.

Under 16’s
The game returns to the home ground of Barker and the stage is set. Their No.10 Tom Davey (known informally as ‘King’) transferred from his men in red to the boys in blue, a topic of controversy throughout the years and even to this day. Knox this season did the unthinkable, beating the boys from the valley who hadn’t lost a game in their years as a group together. Knox came out strong and put on early points, leading 12-0 at the half. Through a couple injuries and failure to take crucial points when down by a 2 point margin, Knox’s achilles heel was in fact their wits! They were beaten by no one but themselves, a devastating loss that the Knoxonians have never forgotten.

First Year of Opens
Whilst Knox did not play Barker, it is important to note that both squads changed substantially. Barker recruited from all round the state, with barely anyone from the U13 group remaining within the side. Most notably, Barkers backline contains 3 scholarships and their forward pack contains an additional 4 in their age group. Knox’s opens had a rather disappointing showing however the devastation Jarrah and Archie created sent shockwaves throughout the rugby community. Their U16 boys also looked promising and have proven to be so.

Now…
In their immaculate maturity, they will square off this Saturday at Barker No. 1 and perhaps Knox will win the big one - the one that will erase the past. It is truly the Ali Vs Foreman of our time, all questions and doubts will be answered at 3:15.

As it currently stands, Knox goes in on paper - the favourites with a greater GD. Knox has consistently and spectacularly beaten every team barker has faced by a greater margin and has risen to the task time and time again. Knox’s key players are numerous, of course their centre pairing coupled with the 10’s distribution makes for a dangerous set piece option. Their winger has just come off a 6 try in 35 minute performance against Aloys - with 2 tries disallowed. In addition, Knox’s entire front row will play for the Australia A side that tours Japan later this year and the back rowers all playing NSW at some capacity. Their no.9 and 15 make for both dangerous playmaking ability but more importantly sound defensive work and have also played representative footy this year. All in all, the group of boys are strong and look to inflict damage going into Saturday.

Barker in contrast will go in the favourites on most punters books as they have a home field advantage. It is also rumoured that Barker will have their gala day on Saturday and will most likely seat upwards of 1000 students. Barker also has a healthy side going into the weekend with Key players such as their no. 10 in great form after Waverly. Their no.8 captained NSW and front row also played high level representative footy. They eliminated many doubts when they went to the Valley and put on a big score line - despite the hostile crowd; which begs the question, can Knox do the same?

Reports from those in contact with higher officials at the school (who will not be named due to no authorisation to speak) say that Knox will expect somewhere between 400-900 in full school uniform at the game. This will be coupled with a substantial old boy attendance from the Knoxonians which is rumoured again to be quite high.

Will the boys from Warrawee have the last laugh and win the one that really matters after so many years of anguish. Will the former Barker alumni Tom Davey be the grim reaper and give the men in red their death wish? Will the well funded Barker boys hold true to the pressure and execute? If they were to lose, it would be remembered as one of the most embarrassing seasons in CAS sporting history, a black Astrix would forever be assimilated with the 6 letters ‘B A R K E R’. If Knox win, they will have defied all the speculators and naysayers, they have the opportunity to immortalise themselves in the history of the CAS Rugby competition.

All in All - Knox

AlexHeap

Frank Row (1)
expecting a big game from matty Hanley a year 11 from barker with great potential. He is a dominant forward hitting rucks like there's no tomorrow. I expect him and ned Ericsson to have a great go at each other after hearing that there's a bit of bad blood after one tangled with another's girlfriend. expecting this to be physical.

Cheds forever
Ned never
Tehe, can confirm the Prince of Pymble Ned Ericson is in for a big one. Speaking big on the fact he's planning to give Matt Hanley a run for his money, being the favourite for first tryscorer in Saturdays matchup. Also... big news out of the Black and Blue Army's Sheds that a thirds player of mass destruction will be debuting for the ones due to stellar performance in recent weeks, keep an eye out for this prodigy on Saturday afternoon.
ChasedownCheds is no match up for my Neddy

#GordonNeverHeapForever
#GoKnox

Does anyone know if beers and being sold at barker v knox? Fanging for a cold beer on a Saturday arvo watching 30 young boys run around. Has me frothing at the mouth. Cheers

FBC
The old cheeky hip whiskey does it for me mate.
I love getting around the boys, need a bit of kick but. Allows me not to hesitate when I'm screaming at the ref.

FBC, I'll see you at the Gum mate.
And if your thinking of saying no to a feww nose beers, YOU'RE KIDDING.

Last edited:
The old cheeky hip whiskey does it for me mate.
I love getting around the boys, need a bit of kick but. Allows me not to hesitate when I'm screaming at the ref.

FBC, I'll see you at the Gum mate.
And if your thinking of saying to a feww nose beers, YOU'RE KIDDING.
Hopefully a few heckles to the touchie. Nothing better than harassment with a cold beer in hand!

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
quite a few old boy barker reunion teams at this week's fixture. The blue gum to be busy before and after the game. Agreed - hip flasks are our plan.

FootyCentral!

Frank Nicholson (4)
It is the week of all weeks.

It is rare that in our great competition, everything boils down to one game between two schools that have despised & competed with each other since the sun rose on our great north shore. Rarely do we have the privilege of this occasion being for the most contested and respected shield of all - the Henry Plume Shield.

Before I give my predictions and thoughts for the game, allow me to first provide some context on just how unique this game is between these two groups of 15.

Under 13’s
Knox and Barker first faced at Knox’s home ground on Gillespie, with both sides conceding to Waverley and were playing for second place. Due to a poor string of refereeing decisions and a sub par squad, Knox concedes at their home ground and thus - a rivalry was born. Only a handful of those under 13’s would continue on to the first XV this Saturday however the hurt has endured.

Under 14’s
With the introduction of powerhouse Jarrah McLeod, Knox again held the home field advantage and went out guns blazing. Jarrah on debut in the derby managed to score a double. Barker responded briskly and equalled Knox on points, resulting in a tie and marks the last time these groups of men would play on Knox territory.

Under 15’s
As Knox makes its way to Barker, they prepare to stay, as Knox will never face Barker anywhere else. Knox coming off a better season, with particular mention to Archie Saunders and Jarrah Mcleods combination in the centres being born, Knox was confident it would challenge barker. However, Barker had begun their first acquisition of many to come - their future No. 13, starting a perpetual tradition that would break the bank of Barker. The fate of Knox was sealed when a Barker teacher disguised in the blue, red, white and gold strip hopped on the field - Immediate yellow cards to numerous Knox players inside the opening 20 drowned Knox’s hopes and dreams, the score - a blowout.

Under 16’s
The game returns to the home ground of Barker and the stage is set. Their No.10 Tom Davey (known informally as ‘King’) transferred from his men in red to the boys in blue, a topic of controversy throughout the years and even to this day. Knox this season did the unthinkable, beating the boys from the valley who hadn’t lost a game in their years as a group together. Knox came out strong and put on early points, leading 12-0 at the half. Through a couple injuries and failure to take crucial points when down by a 2 point margin, Knox’s achilles heel was in fact their wits! They were beaten by no one but themselves, a devastating loss that the Knoxonians have never forgotten.

First Year of Opens
Whilst Knox did not play Barker, it is important to note that both squads changed substantially. Barker recruited from all round the state, with barely anyone from the U13 group remaining within the side. Most notably, Barkers backline contains 3 scholarships and their forward pack contains an additional 4 in their age group. Knox’s opens had a rather disappointing showing however the devastation Jarrah and Archie created sent shockwaves throughout the rugby community. Their U16 boys also looked promising and have proven to be so.

Now…
In their immaculate maturity, they will square off this Saturday at Barker No. 1 and perhaps Knox will win the big one - the one that will erase the past. It is truly the Ali Vs Foreman of our time, all questions and doubts will be answered at 3:15.

As it currently stands, Knox goes in on paper - the favourites with a greater GD. Knox has consistently and spectacularly beaten every team barker has faced by a greater margin and has risen to the task time and time again. Knox’s key players are numerous, of course their centre pairing coupled with the 10’s distribution makes for a dangerous set piece option. Their winger has just come off a 6 try in 35 minute performance against Aloys - with 2 tries disallowed. In addition, Knox’s entire front row will play for the Australia A side that tours Japan later this year and the back rowers all playing NSW at some capacity. Their no.9 and 15 make for both dangerous playmaking ability but more importantly sound defensive work and have also played representative footy this year. All in all, the group of boys are strong and look to inflict damage going into Saturday.

Barker in contrast will go in the favourites on most punters books as they have a home field advantage. It is also rumoured that Barker will have their gala day on Saturday and will most likely seat upwards of 1000 students. Barker also has a healthy side going into the weekend with Key players such as their no. 10 in great form after Waverly. Their no.8 captained NSW and front row also played high level representative footy. They eliminated many doubts when they went to the Valley and put on a big score line - despite the hostile crowd; which begs the question, can Knox do the same?

Reports from those in contact with higher officials at the school (who will not be named due to no authorisation to speak) say that Knox will expect somewhere between 400-900 in full school uniform at the game. This will be coupled with a substantial old boy attendance from the Knoxonians which is rumoured again to be quite high.

Will the boys from Warrawee have the last laugh and win the one that really matters after so many years of anguish. Will the former Barker alumni Tom Davey be the grim reaper and give the men in red their death wish? Will the well funded Barker boys hold true to the pressure and execute? If they were to lose, it would be remembered as one of the most embarrassing seasons in CAS sporting history, a black Astrix would forever be assimilated with the 6 letters ‘B A R K E R’. If Knox win, they will have defied all the speculators and naysayers, they have the opportunity to immortalise themselves in the history of the CAS Rugby competition.

All in All - Knox
Sounds like Barker won the age group battle anyways.

Interested to hear about this ref in the 15’s age group as most barker teachers that ref are incredibly bias against barker.

Greg Carpenter

Frank Row (1)
I'm trying to work out whether this post is in jest or an actual Year 7 boy took the field in a 1st XV Rugby game. Can you clarify Greg? An actual Year 7 child?
Good Evening Mr. Schmooze,

I have contacted people close to the St. Aloysius program for clarification; I am made aware that he stands at 5'3ish and as I earlier said 60ish kg, however I have not been able to figure out exactly which year he is in sadly. I was under the assumption that he was a year 7 on the day (from conversing with other spectators) but in my research I have heard anywhere from yr 6-9. I do believe most of this is 'in jest' as you so eloquently put it so sadly I have not been able to pinpoint which year group he falls into. Although, from my observations of the game I do not believe that such a diminutive player would be in a senior year and then take the field if the school didn't see a promising future from the young man. I must also commend him for an excellent tackle on one of the Knox starting wingers. An excellent effort from the young man and I am excited to potentially see him get some further game time against The Cranbrook School.

Greg.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fancy that, in just a few days he's grown a few inches, he's 3kgs heavier and he's gone down a year or up 2...?

Greg Carpenter

Frank Row (1)
Fancy that, in just a few days he's grown a few inches, he's 3kgs heavier and he's gone down a year or up 2...?
Good Evening Mr. Walsh,

I'm sure as you very well understand everyone makes mistakes, I was just writing what I was under the impression of on the day that he was a year 7 (however it seems I was misled) and have since clarified. However I am afraid 60kg is only 1kg heavier than the 59kg that I stated earlier (just some food for thought) and I never said anything about his height. This is a forum for CAS rugby and not for the critique of freelance journalism so I would prefer we focus on rugby and the the exciting last round of fixtures. :)

Greg.

rugbygalore

Frank Row (1)
Interested to see peoples thoughts on the up coming Barker vs Knox premiership decider? Inside sources have predicted in excess of 10,000 people attending the clash of all clashes. The game of the decade.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
As a Knox supporter a lot has to go right this Saturday at Barker. Katoa and Hooper are the best back and forward respectively in the CAS…. When the Knox backline clicks it is exceptional… but it can splutter…. I hope we have a game with no cards and may the best team win… should be a great day out