• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Gents,

Rather than the dribble currently pervading the site, it would be preferable to just talk about the real possibilities that still exist in the season, it has only just begun.

Firstly in relation to the 16 CAS rep team, I wouldn't get too hung up on the performances of the current 16A teams, as the make up of this rep team will include boys who are playing higher, for obvious reasons. Remember the GPS often have a large number of boys who come from the 1sts.

In relation to the 1sts comp, only round 1 has been completed!

If, by assumption, Aloys and Trinity don't cause any major upsets then I think it's fair to say that any of the other 4 schools could still win it, or it is shared.

Last Sat we saw Cranbrook and the Waves have the first difficult game, and the Waves just won.
That means that both of these 2 sides have only 2 difficult games left, and I mean no disrespect to Aloys or Trinity, just all things being equal.
It also means that Barker and Knox have 3 difficult games left, so their journey is more difficult.

As it currently stands the Waves are in the box seat after round 1, HOWEVER, having seen Cranbrook play on Sat I can see them beating both Knox and Barker if they play with that sort of passion in these 2 games. 1 game is at home and 1 away against these 2 sides.
Likewise the Waves have 1 away, Barker, and 1 at home, Knox, you know the name of that destination, and I still get the feeling we haven't seen the best of this Waves team.

I think the only tricky game next round will be Barker v Waves at Barker, and I can imagine the crowd.
That game will also be a major indicator on the winner this year, but still only round 2.
The very last round will see the other local derby, Knox v Barker at Knox, this could also well be the decider.

So clearly, a myriad of possibilities remain.

Let's just hope all teams remain injury free so we can see the best of the best.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Heard there was a fight in Waverley v Cranbrook 3rds. Can anyone follow up?
I did happen to see this it looked like the boy who made the video imitating Gus Gould was the target seemed to hold his own with him getting a yellow and 2 other Waverley boys getting a yellow. Along side a previously sin binned player getting a second yellow, At one point i believe it was 14 against 12.

workingdasnipe

Peter Burge (5)
I did happen to see this it looked like the boy who made the video imitating Gus Gould was the target seemed to hold his own with him getting a yellow and 2 other Waverley boys getting a yellow. Along side a previously sin binned player getting a second yellow, At one point i believe it was 14 against 12.
Looks like the boys from the east lacking class again ...
The respective schools must crack down on this.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like the boys from the east lacking class again ...
The respective schools must crack down on this.
I was there to witness this as well and it was predominantly the Waverley boys instigating all of the little push-and-shoves - there were quite a lot in the 3rds game. Obviously, the one we are talking about here isn't a great look for either school. The thing that shocked me the most however was the Waverley boy, who had already been yellow-carded less than 5 minutes before the incident, running from the sideline to the opposite end of the field to get involved - he later received a red card in the aftermath.

Aside from this, I thought it was great to see that the 1st XV game was played with very little niggle as we saw a fair bit in the other grades.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Heard Ruben stock from Waverley. Had a big impact on the fight. Possibly knocking 2 people out.
Yes as I have stated before. He was the best wrestler in South Africa and was obviously witnessed on Saturday when he took on the whole Cranbrook 3rd XV on his own back. It took 12 of their men to get him onto the ground. He did get sent off however, I'd say that Cranbrook team will never want to hear the name Ruben Stock ever again.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thought I'd give a CAS 1sts team a crack. My predictions are based on last year's 1st's and 2nd's teams and from what I know (which is not a whole lot in regard to some of the schools). Please also note that some of these players may not be currently fit and I am not aware.

1. McKinnon (KGS)
2. Meagher? (TGS)
3. Ah-Colt (CS)/Goddard (KGS)
4. Ericsson (KGS)
5. Van Wyk (BC)
6. Mackenzie (CS)
7. Aboud (WC)
8. Jackson (CS)/Talaileva (BC)
9. Hatten-Ward (TGS)/Patterson (CS)
10. Patea? (WC)/Jecks (KGS)
11. Turinui (WC)
12. Enasio (KGS)
13. McDonald (BC)
14. Chandler-Sullivan (BC)
15. Poynton (BC)

A few points:
- Hooker: I know very little about the hookers this year. First choice would be Meagher but unsure about fitness, hence the question mark
- Prop: Goddard the incumbent, but Ah-Colt looks very strong this year and is a workhorse - can Goddard play loosehead to fit them both in?
- Lock: Jackson was in the CAS 2nd's last year but have also seen Talaileva in other predicted sides
- Scrumhalf: Hatten-Ward in CAS 2's last year, Patterson has been strong for Cranbrook this year
- Flyhalf: Seen Patea in other predicted sides but didn't see him on Sat - is he injured? Have also seen Jecks in predicted sides
- Wing: Turinui was one of Waverley's best on Sat so I had to fit him in - goal kicking is also very good

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Thought I'd give a CAS 1sts team a crack. My predictions are based on last year's 1st's and 2nd's teams and from what I know (which is not a whole lot in regard to some of the schools). Please also note that some of these players may not be currently fit and I am not aware.

1. McKinnon (KGS)
2. Meagher? (TGS)
3. Ah-Colt (CS)/Goddard (KGS)
4. Ericsson (KGS)
5. Van Wyk (BC)
6. Mackenzie (CS)
7. Aboud (WC)
8. Jackson (CS)/Talaileva (BC)
9. Hatten-Ward (TGS)/Patterson (CS)
10. Patea? (WC)/Jecks (KGS)
11. Turinui (WC)
12. Enasio (KGS)
13. McDonald (BC)
14. Chandler-Sullivan (BC)
15. Poynton (BC)

A few points:
- Hooker: I know very little about the hookers this year. First choice would be Meagher but unsure about fitness, hence the question mark
- Prop: Goddard the incumbent, but Ah-Colt looks very strong this year and is a workhorse - can Goddard play loosehead to fit them both in?
- Lock: Jackson was in the CAS 2nd's last year but have also seen Talaileva in other predicted sides
- Scrumhalf: Hatten-Ward in CAS 2's last year, Patterson has been strong for Cranbrook this year
- Flyhalf: Seen Patea in other predicted sides but didn't see him on Sat - is he injured? Have also seen Jecks in predicted sides
- Wing: Turinui was one of Waverley's best on Sat so I had to fit him in - goal kicking is also very good

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts
From a Waverley perspective- Patea has been poor and while he was injured on the weekend, the team worked better with Turinui at 10. I don’t think he can be CAS 10. Turinui might be an option.

A potential for hooker is Dowling. Again, Waverley view - but his throws are great and that’s the starting point for a rep hooker.
Cranbrook 6 from the weekend is really good and a huge body. Would do well in rep teams.
Cranbrook 3 should be an absolute must in the CAS firsts. Him with McKinnon would be a great front row.

With Cranbrook 3 for Captain as well. The Waverley boys rate him very highly as a player and a person.

I’m not sure about Jonti M-F. I was under the impression he was meant to return last weekend, but it seems to have been delayed. If he plays against Barker he has to be in CAS 1sts somewhere.

Other than that, I think we can lock in Van Wyk, Enasio, McDonald and Poynting. Wing spots almost always end up going to fullbacks without any clear weapons on any edges this year.

Aboud is just a freak as well. So I would have him there too.

Last edited:

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
From a Waverley perspective- Patea has been poor and while he was injured on the weekend, the team worked better with Turinui at 10. I don’t think he can be CAS 10. Turinui might be an option, but he isn’t a running threat like Patea is.

A potential for hooker is Dowling. Again, Waverley view - but his throws are great and that’s the starting point for a rep hooker.
Cranbrook 6 from the weekend is really good and a huge body. Would do well in rep teams.
Cranbrook 3 should be an absolute must in the CAS firsts. Him with McKinnon would be a great front row.

With Cranbrook 3 for Captain as well. The Waverley boys rate him very highly as a player and a person.
Turinui was great - just haven't seen Patea play.

Agreed with Dowling. However, I think we need a more damaging ball runner rather than a lineout thrower to be able to match the GPS pack.

Definitely agree with the last comment about Kaleb. Great to see him playing good rugby after a few tough years with injury.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Turinui was great - just haven't seen Patea play.

Agreed with Dowling. However, I think we need a more damaging ball runner rather than a lineout thrower to be able to match the GPS pack.

Definitely agree with the last comment about Kaleb. Great to see him playing good rugby after a few tough years with injury.
Yeah 100% agree on Dowling.

Kaleb is such a special talent. He has done so well too and grown so much at Cranbrook. It’s really inspiring for other boys to see. His growth in 12 months has been huge and the way that Cranbrook almost run their whole game around his skill set is cool to watch.

I think it’s the coaches that pick the captains.. the coaches are all from Barker and Barker have only ever selected Barker kids to be captain.. so I imagine it will be the same in 2023. Which would be such a huge disappointment.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah 100% agree on Dowling.

Kaleb is such a special talent. He has done so well too and grown so much at Cranbrook. It’s really inspiring for other boys to see. His growth in 12 months has been huge and the way that Cranbrook almost run their whole game around his skill set is cool to watch.

I think it’s the coaches that pick the captains.. the coaches are all from Barker and Barker have only ever selected Barker kids to be captain.. so I imagine it will be the same in 2023. Which would be such a huge disappointment.
Great words JJ.

Missed the comment about Jonti, and I think if fit, he can slot onto either wing - too much talent to leave out of the side

Famed_Star

Peter Burge (5)
Selectors should pick captains then too. It is noticeable that any rep team with a Barker coach has a Barker kid as captain. Even back to NSW schools days.