• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs v Waratahs, round 17, Sunday 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Should have a Penalty Try with Foley taking the conversion attempt from in front of the posts. Fortunately the conversion was successful, so it didn't really matter.

I think it would've been a penalty try if Izzy hadn't have scored the try, but because he still went over and there was plenty of Cheetahs defenders on the inside a YC was probably enough...........

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
think I've been too harsh but what I'm trying to say is that it was bleedingly obvious that if we had just gone forward instead of crabbing sideways and throwing 20 metre cut outs then we would have plenty of space for Izzy,Nav and Carraro to score....Bernie drags guys in, Kurtley at 10 confuses the s out of everyone including his own guys.
Im warming to the earlier talk of Horne back at 12,Izzy 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) one wider..Kurtley could do his thing from 15 but he's just too disruptive in the middle.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Should have a Penalty Try with Foley taking the conversion attempt from in front of the posts. Fortunately the conversion was successful, so it didn't really matter.

I'm not sure what the issue is with whether the attempted foot trip was successful or not in terms of the Yellow Card decision. I might need to re-read the rules on foul play.

IMO it should've been a penalty try AND a YC.

Re the trip: AFAIK it's the the intent/action. Whether or not it's successful is irrelevant.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Adv. Tahs over Brumbies.
The Red ares are easier than the Saders.
But...the Saders are now out of the competition. They have nothing to play for but pride next week.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Adv. Tahs over Brumbies.
But.the Saders are now out of the competition. They have nothing to play for but pride next week.

Well... yes, I suppose the Reds are really just playing for pride, but when that pride is bragging rights over NSW it takes on a new element.

Bit of a danger game for the Tahs coming back from the republic really.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Adv. Tahs over Brumbies.
But.the Saders are now out of the competition. They have nothing to play for but pride next week.

So a Grand Final in ANZ Stadium for second year in a row is possible

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's always easy to write these games off and go 'oh, tackling was clearly optional, can't judge until we play top opposition', but I thought that was easily the best attacking performance we've seen all year.

Phipps, Beale and Folau all played their best games for the season, off the back of great accuracy and efficiency by the pigs at the cleanout. Our backs had a steady diet of fast, clean ball and didn't waste it.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
McKibbin had the worst ten minutes of his life on the park last night jeeze what a shocker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's always easy to write these games off and go 'oh, tackling was clearly optional, can't judge until we play top opposition', but I thought that was easily the best attacking performance we've seen all year.

Phipps, Beale and Folau all played their best games for the season, off the back of great accuracy and efficiency by the pigs at the cleanout. Our backs had a steady diet of fast, clean ball and didn't waste it.

The pace the Tahs played at was exceptional, I don't care who they played no team would've kept up. I'd like to see the carries and running metres they had, would be off the charts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

The overall structure in the first half was largely, umm, unstructured! Scored some very good tries using the width of the field and speed of clearance from Phipps well, so credit there. But much of the rest was a bit of a mess. I was happy to see the defensive structure tightened in the second half and they really smashed the Cheetahs back a lot; still scored some good tries too. Thought the subs offered some good impact too, notably Paddy Ryan in the loose. Except McKibbon.
Beale's kicking was the best he's shown for ages too. Altitude, I know, but still have to execute.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
The overall structure in the first half was largely, umm, unstructured! Scored some very good tries using the width of the field and speed of clearance from Phipps well, so credit there. But much of the rest was a bit of a mess. I was happy to see the defensive structure tightened in the second half and they really smashed the Cheetahs back a lot; still scored some good tries too. Thought the subs offered some good impact too, notably Paddy Ryan in the loose.
Beale's kicking was the best he's shown for ages too. Altitude, I know, but still have to execute.

I think Phipps definitely played very well exceptional service. How good was Carraro puts some big hits in defence !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just finished watching a recording. Thoughts:

• Forwards played very well as a pack giving the Tahs' backs plenty of go-forward
  • Tackling was excellent for most of the game. Letting in five tries mightn't look good, but it is a Saffer side at altitude.
  • Phipps was outstanding in both attack and defence. Coupla try-saving tackles in the first half.
  • Roach is a keeper. He doesn't look out of place on a Super side.
  • Tahs' bench (Ryan, Mumm, Dempsey, Hoiles, Betham) put in sterling contributions. Can't say I noticed Porecki.
  • AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) CAN pass the ball!
  • Carraro has continued to perform well all season. Players like Matt give the squad excellent depth.
  • Pretorius has a lovely pass off the ground.
  • For so many Saffer sides their first thought at the lineout is to maul the ball. Take note, TGC.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies finish 6th, take out Stormers and Hurricanes in consecutive weeks and then get smashed by the Tahs.

Simples

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just finished watching a recording. Thoughts:

• Roach is a keeper. He doesn't look out of place on a Super side.

Unless he can get much bet at set piece time he will not be getting a lot of game time. Poreki wasn't as mobile when he came but I thought the scrum in the one or two that there was after he was there were better. As I posted earlier I hope that while Ledesma is around Roach is absorbing as much as he can.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Last night's Cheetahs game would've given Gibson a lot of confidence to play Folau at 13, the more Izzy was involved out wide the better the Tahs looked. Once he sorts out his defensive skills Folau could make an outstanding outside centre. Sorta makes one pine for Beale in the fullback spot with memories of his 2010 form.

Status
Not open for further replies.