• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Swan doesn't seem to have thoroughly identified the report, he quotes one report only
He has, just not on that 5 minute breakfast TV spot.

A Knowledge Hub download link to the preprint (i.e. not peer reviewed) from the UK is here: (khub.net/documents/1359) Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against the Omicron (B.1.1.529) variant of concern.

Quick and nasty screenshot for the lazy:
preprint.jpg

it doesn't appear to have been reviewed. Conclusions are incomplete.
True.

When looked at, there's no claim otherwise.

And so far the voiced opinions from the public health authorities that are meant to have full access to all the relevant data are NOT making any similar claims.
The public health authorities did make decisions, however.

In the UK, they had shortened the booster interval to 3 months.

Australia followed suit, albeit incrementally and not fully kicking in until the end of Jan.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In the UK, they had shortened the booster interval to 3 months.

Australia followed suit, albeit incrementally and not fully kicking in until the end of Jan.

Will be keen to see the effects in various locations - the theory being that 5-6 months is better than < 5 months for efficacy.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Will be keen to see the effects in various locations - the theory being that 5-6 months is better than < 5 months for efficacy.
As circumstances change, the numbers change. Efficacy refers to disease reduction in people who received a vaccination versus those who didn't - in a trial ... but that's not the whole story in making a decision on the booster interval.

What is the aim, optimal effectiveness for every individual, or best estimate for overall health system impact this year?

Has to be the latter, the former is not in any health authority's power.

Looking at booster data, we're not even at 10%. We'll likely still be below 40% through Q1 this year.

boosters.png

Dose 2 vaccination rate sets the upper bound of the booster rate. They've decided to up the rate of the strollout by winding in the interval.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I reckon over half of my extended social group has COVID. I will get in the next few weeks me thinks. It's ripping through the younger population. Can't say I don't deserve it, been border hopping and going out as much as possible. Understand that life approach isn't for everyone. Though quite happy that I've now been boosted with Moderna to mix in with my apparently ineffective x2 AZ.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hmm. Omicron cases going through the roof. More and more people wanting to travel, interstate and internationally. Testing queues growing by the minute. Travel plans canceled because test results are not available in the time required to take a flight.

Govts change the definition of a "close contact" so that many thousands, perhaps more, people worried about their health status no longer need, indeed are discouraged, to have a test.

Does this look a little like the economy taking precedence over the health issues and concerns? Is it possible that testing queues are going to be filled by travelers wanting to prove they don't have the virus rather than people wanting to establish if they have the virus so that they can take appropriate measures to protect their health?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hmm. Omicron cases going through the roof. More and more people wanting to travel, interstate and internationally. Testing queues growing by the minute. Travel plans canceled because test results are not available in the time required to take a flight.

Govts change the definition of a "close contact" so that many thousands, perhaps more, people worried about their health status no longer need, indeed are discouraged, to have a test.

Does this look a little like the economy taking precedence over the health issues and concerns? Is it possible that testing queues are going to be filled by travelers wanting to prove they don't have the virus rather than people wanting to establish if they have the virus so that they can take appropriate measures to protect their health?
Biggest fuck up of the 'let er rip' strategy. Apparently the plan has always been to open up eventually - they've had two years to set up the testing infrastructure needed to meet the resultant increase in demand.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They are not as kind as you Cyclo over at Sky News when it comes to Swan.
He's no dummy, and he knows people to speak to on many topics but he is primarily a journo and has been for decades. So when people accept anything he says without much question, based on the "Dr" title, I find it a bit odd. Plus, in the past, he has some strong agendas on health issues which haven't exactly borne scrutiny that well.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
He's no dummy, and he knows people to speak to on many topics but he is primarily a journo and has been for decades. So when people accept anything he says without much question, based on the "Dr" title, I find it a bit odd. Plus, in the past, he has some strong agendas on health issues which haven't exactly borne scrutiny that well.
So on the spectrum of people to listen he is ahead of Lisa Wilkinson but behind Dr Nick Coatworth?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I reckon over half of my extended social group has COVID. I will get in the next few weeks me thinks. It's ripping through the younger population. Can't say I don't deserve it, been border hopping and going out as much as possible. Understand that life approach isn't for everyone. Though quite happy that I've now been boosted with Moderna to mix in with my apparently ineffective x2 AZ.
Yessir, just confirmed got the Pangolin's Kiss. Turns out going out partying in Sydney for NYE was a bad idea, who would've thought. Girlfriend & I now isolating for 7 days. Weirdly spent time with mates for dinner and the like and they're not close contacts because it's <4 hours.

At least my entire social circle has it, so solidarity or something to tide over the fever.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yessir, just confirmed got the Pangolin's Kiss. Turns out going out partying in Sydney for NYE was a bad idea, who would've thought. Girlfriend & I now isolating for 7 days. Weirdly spent time with mates for dinner and the like and they're not close contacts because it's <4 hours.

At least my entire social circle has it, so solidarity or something to tide over the fever.

And how are you feeling? Like death warmed up or not too bad?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

All the best DC.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Yeah, me too. Went to a gig in Footscray on the 30th where all my companions also picked it up. But to be honest, it's everywhere at the moment. Testing queue wasn't too bad, but the results take longer than 'normal' due to each individual result being screened, rather than the larger batches they could do when the positive rate was ~2%.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Are these fluffybunnys ever pulling in the same direction? the states saying we need to move away from PCR testing because it's fucked sideways with demand then scummo saying RAT's won't be paid for (oh but you can put those 2 packs which cost $70 on afterpay).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, me too. Went to a gig in Footscray on the 30th where all my companions also picked it up. But to be honest, it's everywhere at the moment. Testing queue wasn't too bad, but the results take longer than 'normal' due to each individual result being screened, rather than the larger batches they could do when the positive rate was ~2%.

Hotel Westwood?

Reactions: Tex