• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Turning back to the Djokovic saga, TA's version of events seems to be unravelling:

Interesting opinion in The Australian is that the first female president of TA, Jayne Hrdlicka, is conspicuous by her absence for the second year in a row.
She has provided no public support for Craig Tilley.

I hope the other headline becomes fact -

Covid-19 pandemic end in sight due to ‘Blade Runner effect’.​

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long".

Seems to be happening in SA & looking at today's case numbers for Vic & NSW I certainly hope it proves to be true for you guys, too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bullshit I missed it.
It's deliberately included to give the full story.
You on the other hand appear to have missed my introduction - "young rugby players" - which led to my bolding of "younger males".
Happy to debate you on the facts and research, but you should give up on false ad homs.

PS have you seen any footage or press coverage of the significantly high number of soccer players collapsing at training and games?
Here is an article at news.com listing a lot of the individual cases. In their article Vaccine theory about footballers collapsing debunked, they quote our own ATAGAI:
It notes: “The observed rates in Australia are consistent with international data. These data show a higher rate in younger individuals (particularly younger males) and following second doses. Most reported cases have been mild, self-limiting and have recovered quickly, although further follow-up of these cases is ongoing. ATAGI noted that a small number of cases were more severe, requiring hospitalisation.”

So myocarditis after vaccination is happening. The only debate is how widespread it is, and if the level of risk to young people should preclude compulsory vaccinations.

Obviously, in my opinion vaccinations (especially for young people) should not be mandatory.

The start of said article…

Vaccine theory about footballers collapsing debunked

A cluster of elite athletes collapsing on the pitch has many high profile names in sport and politics sharing conspiracy theories that lead nowhere.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
^ "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long".

Seems to be happening in SA & looking at today's case numbers for Vic & NSW I certainly hope it proves to be true for you guys, too.

51gLJwQzWnL._AC_.jpg

:) It's only my favourite movie ever

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ what, not Shawshank Redemption? ;)

It's not Full Metal Jacket or Goodfellas but, yeah, it's not too shabby.

Edit: was a huge BR fan back in the day but now it's a bit dark for my liking, I'm preferring Scott's more recent work e.g. The Martian. WOB out ;)

Last edited:

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Its going to be interesting when Western Australia and New Zealand open up to the world. Certainly going to be a big mental adjustment for their populations.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Its going to be interesting when Western Australia and New Zealand open up to the world. Certainly going to be a big mental adjustment for their populations.

Indeed. We had the head of the Australian Nurses Federation on the news last night saying the Feb opening date should be pushed back to May. To what end? If our hospital system is under pressure now (it is) then how is an extra 3-4 months going to fix anything? We can't build a new campus in that time, nor can we recruit enough nurses or doctors (who would have to come from interstate or overseas).

I get where he's coming from and he's been very vocal about the stress on our public health system, but I don't see any upside to the call for a delay. Why not delay another five years?

Last edited:

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Indeed. We had the head of the Australian Nurses Federation on the news last night saying the Feb opening date should be pushed back to May. To what end? If our hospital system is under pressure now (it is) then how is an extra 3-4 months going to fix anything? We can't build a new campus in that time, nor can we recruit enough nurses or doctors (who would have to come from interstate or overseas).

I get where he's coming from and he's been very vocal about the stress on our public health system, but I don't see any upside to the call for a delay. Why not delay another five years?
Quite right. Plus, they have already had 2 years to prepare in which time I didn't see too many projects of expansion.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Joker takes his case to court on Monday morning at 10.00.
His case rests on
1) he tested positive to covid on Dec 16
2) he was told by Australia’s Department of Home Affairs that he had met the requirements for quarantine-free entry as an unvaccinated traveller,
3) Tennis Australia emailed all players confirming a positive COVID test within last six months is grounds for a vaccination exemption.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Of course it is and everyone knows it. I have been somewhat amused at some of posts on the forum about how NZ (and I suspect WA) are being idiots etc putting of what's going to happen (got I thought carried away when we realised Super rugby would be knocked around), but I can assure most people in NZ know it's coming and I personally can see sense in keeping it out as long as possible to get as many as possible to have a booster shot and try and get kids vaxxed.
And I say same who are moaning at Aus gov't about the Novax Djok visa shit, Australia have rules they hope are going to help stop the spread more than needs be, so they every right to tell him to stay away until he goes along with rules.
I was pissed a bit at first because a; it stuffed up rugby and b; I got son trying to get back from Oz. But when I though about it, I and see sense of trying to hold off to try and get as prepared as can be (and I will whip in and get booster this week).
I think noone is absolutely right or wrong in any country the way they are trying to handle the whole thing, as we don't have pandemics too often.
When I lived in OZ I was more than happy with how Qld handled their response, and did what while I was there in first year of pandemic a bloody good job of letting us all live as 'normal' as possible.
Mind you I probably a boring old fart, and take my advice from what Medical people etc tell me as I figure the time they have spent studying at Uni etc to get their degrees makes them just slightly (or a bloody lot) more knowledgeable than me or most people who get opinions on the internet!

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Here's some anecdotal conjecture for you. It seems the process to become a nurse in Australia is extremely onerous for nurses qualified in other jurisdictions including other western countries. My mates fiance is a German qualified Nurse and she's been trying to get qualified for two years. The process includes a mandatory practical test which she says can only be taken in Adelaide (??) and costs thousands of dollars.

Can't be that desperate for nurses.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Joker takes his case to court this morning at 10.00.
His case rests on
1) he tested positive to covid on Dec 16
2) he was told by Australia’s Department of Home Affairs that he had met the requirements for quarantine-free entry as an unvaccinated traveller,
3) Tennis Australia emailed all players confirming a positive COVID test within last six months is grounds for a vaccination exemption to play in the Australian Open, not to enter Australia.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ wrt 1. above:

"...while a positive test within recent months is a valid exemption reason with border authorities, the stated date would have been too late for the Tennis Australia deadline of Dec 10."

Also, if he tested positive on 16/12 why was he handing out medals to kids & doing other PR stuff around his being on a postage stamp the following day?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Djoko's letter was self-generated on an Australian government travel app, providing no iron-clad guarantee of his entry
Crucially, as spelt out in the information for ATD in the App Store: “The successful submission of your declaration does not guarantee entry into Australia”.

Last edited:

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Joker got a visa but didn't comply with entry requirements, according to Minister for Home Affairs Karen Andrews.
Visas now appear to be temporary.
Monday will be interesting.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tennis Australia emailed all players confirming a positive COVID test within last six months is grounds for a vaccination exemption to play in the Australian Open, not to enter Australia.

Imagine Craig Tilley writing to the world's no1 tennis player and defending Open champion, saying he's OK to play in Melbourne.
But forgetting to say
"You have to get into Australia first"

Someone, somewhere, has a lot to answer for and I'm not convinced that it is Novak.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Joker got a visa but didn't comply with entry requirements, according to Minister for Home Affairs Karen Andrews.
Visas now appear to be temporary.
Monday will be interesting.
A visa is never a guarantee of entry.

That's the case for Aus, UK and most places. Take the US, f'rinstance:

... Having a U.S. visa allows you to travel to a port of entry, airport or land border crossing, and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector to enter the United States. While having a visa does not guarantee entry to the United States, it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry for that specific purpose...