• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders (NZ) Rugby Team Thread.

The Crusaders Rugby Football Team

• I begrudgingly respect their success

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I do not

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I hate them

• We all hate them

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I welcome their tumble into mediocrity

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I prefer that Auckland team, you know, "The Auckland Blues"

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • The disintegration of the Cantabs empire gives me a stiffy so big it blots out the motherfucking sun

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • They had a good run but enough is enough

• Commentator Tony Johnstone having to witness their decline + Blues ascension = Major Stiffy Time

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I like pole

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have clearly been strong armed into this, so Joe Schmidt to the Blues it is.

hot-fuzz-greater-good.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually I kinda hope they did as it'd speed up the process no end & possibly some of the craters I mean carefully excavated trenches could be used as footings...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When people talk about the CruSadists' talent production line, this is what they mean:

Stadium update: they've poured the foundations at one corner of the ground & will start putting up formwork in the next few weeks. Project Manager was on tv a week or so ago & reckons everything's on schedule.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I reckon Tamati Ellison is close to the next head coach off the production line. Doing a great job at the Crusaders and with Wellington in the NPC. Was lucky to spend time with him when he was in melbourne and he is an extremely good communicator, has a great tactical mind and an outstanding man from a cultural perspective, universally respected and liked by all.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I reckon Tamati Ellison is close to the next head coach off the production line. Doing a great job at the Crusaders and with Wellington in the NPC. Was lucky to spend time with him when he was in melbourne and he is an extremely good communicator, has a great tactical mind and an outstanding man from a cultural perspective, universally respected and liked by all.
And of course a tv star when he was young!! :D

He's the young kid!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Incredibly interesting read on why the Crusaders are so successful etc

Also another interesting thing in the article is something I had read about a few weeks ago, the young No 10 they have brought down from Waikato, had wanted to be a Chiefs player, and had a talk tp Clayton MacMillan, before signing with Crusaders, who told him that he advised him to go as they felt the Chiefs future at 10 was covered by Caleb Trask who Chiefs have sent to Japan for a season. Makes you reasonably happy that some coaches are looking to future and want whats best for young players.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Three people will be named in the Crusaders’ “Hall of Fame’’ when the new initiative is launched at a sold-out charity lunch in Christchurch on Friday.

"The selection committee includes Crusaders coach Scott Robertson, lock Sam Whitelock and former loose forward Sam Broomhall.

"To be eligible, inductees must meet five of the seven criteria:

"1 Played or coached 100 or more games for the Crusaders, or played or coached the Crusaders for more than eight seasons.

"2 Played in, or coached, a championship winning team.

"3 Achieved and displayed excellence in their playing position throughout their playing career (taking into consideration accolades and achievements such as player of the year).

"4 Lead on and off the field in action and behaviour. Lived the Crusaders values throughout their career and has remained of good character. Crusaders values being; loyalty, work ethic, respect, integrity, equality, team first, enjoyment.

"5 A team man who always puts the team first and brought the best out of their Crusaders teammates.

"6 Was selected for or coached an international team.

"7 Made a significant contribution to the team on and off the field."

I'm thinking Deans, McCaw & Carter with Razor & possibly Whitelock to be added next year after they're presumably no longer selectors.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ah Crusaders, always trying to be the Reds but getting caught lagging behind. Should probably make it clear who they really idolise and just pick Brad Thorn, Caleb Ralph and Digby Ioane ;)

I'm thinking Deans, McCaw & Carter with Razor & possibly Whitelock to be added next year after they're presumably no longer selectors.

On a slightly more serious note I don't see how you could name anyone else before those 3. The only exception I could see is if they wanted to get in someone who was there from the early days and the first title, probably Rueben Thorne if that was the case. As you say though Razor will likely be next up so it's not as big a deal. I'd probably have Thorne before Whitelock though. A fair few of the other older players too like Caleb Ralph, Justin Marshall, Wyatt Crockett and Kieran Read all make sense to honour before Whitelock (assuming you mean Sam and there's not one of them I'm forgetting from the past who'd be up first. There are way too many of them to keep track).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
They should go all in with the championship banners like you find in the NFL.

Though idk if the current stadium is large enough to hold them all.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They should go all in with the championship banners like you find in the NFL.

Though idk if the current stadium is large enough to hold them all.

I've seen renderings of the new stadium where there's banners like that either side of the concourse. Probably a bit too Nuremberg for my liking...
On a slightly more serious note I don't see how you could name anyone else before those 3. The only exception I could see is if they wanted to get in someone who was there from the early days and the first title, probably Rueben Thorne if that was the case. As you say though Razor will likely be next up so it's not as big a deal. I'd probably have Thorne before Whitelock though. A fair few of the other older players too like Caleb Ralph, Justin Marshall, Wyatt Crockett and Kieran Read all make sense to honour before Whitelock (assuming you mean Sam and there's not one of them I'm forgetting from the past who'd be up first. There are way too many of them to keep track).

I think Razor ticks too many boxes not to be included as soon as he vacates the coaches box. Assuming there's three added next year I'd expect one from the 1998-99-2000 threepeat & one from whatever the current run gets to. For mine SamW gets the latter over Mo'unga for longevity & influence. Former could be Thorne, Marshall or Merhtens but you've got to remember AM's still a somewhat divisive figure down those ways (as is Deans fwiw). Crockett & Read, while fully deserving, might have to wait another year or two.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems Aumua is moving to the Crusaders.

6dbko2d91r1b1.jpg

Wonder if this will lead to Jack Goodhue moving to the Blues, as was also murmured about in connection to Aumua.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Former could be Thorne, Marshall or Merhtens but you've got to remember AM's still a somewhat divisive figure down those ways (as is Deans fwiw). Crockett & Read, while fully deserving, might have to wait another year or two.

Wait, how are old Deans and, in particular, Mehrt's divisive?!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems Aumua is moving to the Crusaders.

6dbko2d91r1b1.jpg

Wonder if this will lead to Jack Goodhue moving to the Blues, as was also murmured about in connection to Aumua.
Aumua has certainly been around the traps hasn't he? 4 years of super, and 3 teams. Plus a couple of Japanese clubs, a French one and Brisbane city!