• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders (NZ) Rugby Team Thread.

The Crusaders Rugby Football Team

• I begrudgingly respect their success

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I do not

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I hate them

• We all hate them

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I welcome their tumble into mediocrity

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I prefer that Auckland team, you know, "The Auckland Blues"

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • The disintegration of the Cantabs empire gives me a stiffy so big it blots out the motherfucking sun

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • They had a good run but enough is enough

• Commentator Tony Johnstone having to witness their decline + Blues ascension = Major Stiffy Time

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I like pole

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wait, how are old Deans and, in particular, Mehrt's divisive?!

Relates to certain events in 2003-04 culminating in Merts missing some games after sustaining an injury - got "kicked by his toddler whilst being put into their car seat", as I recall. Also lead to him being benched for the '04 GF. Caused quite a stir in Cantabland at the time & there were definitely pro-Deans & pro-Merts camps that haven't really altered their pov's over the intervening years.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wayne Smith, Todd Blackadder, and Justin Marshall are the first three inductees.

Hours after he was named performance coach of the Black Ferns and All Blacks, he joined Todd Blackadder and Justin Marshall in the Crusaders’ Hall of Fame.

They were the first players inducted into the newly launched initiative at a sold-out charity lunch in Christchurch on Friday, one attended by Crusaders greats such as Reuben Thorne, Richie McCaw and Dan Carter.

That trio is almost certain to be inducted into the Hall of Fame with time, but in the meantime it was Smith, Blackadder and Marshall who got the nod by the selection committee, which includes Crusaders coach Scott Robertson, lock Sam Whitelock and former loose forward Sam Broomhall.

Marshall seems a bit out of place to me, but there we go.

EDIT: Out of place as a first inductee, not in a Crusaders HoF.

Last edited:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Penney is a blast from the past. Was rediculous that he was first overlooked for Blackadder at the Crusaders (lol) and then for Kirwan at the Blues (lmao u fkn wot m8).

That being said, if Vern Cotter is looking for a job in NZ and doesn't get one then that would be absolutely farcical. Still hoping he's in the running for the Blues role. They already have the Schmidt link, so makes sense.

Or so I tell myself.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Penney was a scapegoat for the worst Waratahs team in history. Coleman certainly isn’t the savior.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Penney's Japanese team were also relegated under his tenure and I'm pretty sure he was sacked by them.

Not exactly the glowing resume I would associate with a Super Rugby heavyweight franchise.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Penny’s roster wasn’t that different to what Coleman inherited. The blame is entirely on him. It might be a tough gig for an outsider but that’s still on him.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Penney's Japanese team were also relegated under his tenure and I'm pretty sure he was sacked by them.

The gist of this thread is that the Cantabs have ignored results and picked another old grunt from the local old boys network.

A Todd Blackadder 2.0 tenure?

giphy.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Penney is a blast from the past. Was rediculous that he was first overlooked for Blackadder at the Crusaders (lol) and then for Kirwan at the Blues (lmao u fkn wot m8).

That being said, if Vern Cotter is looking for a job in NZ and doesn't get one then that would be absolutely farcical. Still hoping he's in the running for the Blues role. They already have the Schmidt link, so makes sense.

Or so I tell myself.
I would like him to get Blues , too good of a coach to be in wilderness.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Confirmation today that current AC's Tamati Ellison (who appears to being groomed as a future (next?) HC), Dan Perrin & James Marshall will keep their jobs under Penney & that Matt Todd will officially join the coaching team.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Emergency Convening of
The Hooded Order of Phlegmatic Cantabs

redklan.jpg

Agenda: Expulsion of the following individual:
Quentin Strange.

Crime: Spitting the dummy and having a giant sook when his team is already up 64-0 in a rugby football match.

Verdict:

GUILTY

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What can a Phlegmatic Mako say other than that Brother Quinton has always been a little strange. But we love him nevertheless.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
CruSadists will prepare for their Super Rugby title defence with matches v Munster on 3/02/24 & Bristol on 9/02/24.

This is one of reasons the Crusaders are always near top of super rugby I think. Innovation etc, a preseason tour up north? If I was a good young player looking to my future I would be thinking that a pretty good place to be playing. We can upset all we want about them winning titles etc, but it is because the whole organisation is aimed at seemingly making it an attractive place to be at, and everything is aimed that way.

Imagine being a young player from their area, and someone said , oh yeah we having a draft so you have to go and live play for some other franchise, the word get f***ed would spring to my mind. I think most teams maybe starting to catch on?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
CruSadists will prepare for their Super Rugby title defence with matches v Munster on 3/02/24 & Bristol on 9/02/24.

What an excellent grudge match to start the Rob Penney era. Penney will roll his tanks into Thomond Park to crush the momentary happiness of the previously long-suffering Munster army. "Sack me 10 years ago for some run-down local legend? I've come halfway across the world to remind you of your proper place."