• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Rebels Friday 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Stoked that I'm not seeing Read, Whitelock, Nadolo and Dagg in the team list.

McCaw v McMahon should be enjoyable, as is Slade playing at 15. He runs beautiful lines from the back.

I'll wait to see who Tony names for the Rebels before giving us the kiss of death.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Up to four players could make their RaboDirect Rebels debut in Round One of the 2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby season, after Tony McGahan named the recruits in his first matchday squad for the season.
Heading to Christchurch to face the Crusaders at 5:35pm AEDT on Friday, McGahan named Wallabies Mike Harris and Dom Shipperley in his starting lineup for their first appearance in the Five Stars, while Ben Whittaker and Sefanaia Naivalu have been named as reserves.
Whittaker signed for the Club after returning to Melbourne from Biarritz, while Naivalu could make history if the former Box Hill flyer becomes the first ever player to represent the Rebels after being signed from the Dewar Shield, Victoria’s premier Club Rugby competition.
In other selection news, centre Tamati Ellison has returned from his playing stint in Japan’s top league to resume his fruitful midfield partnership with Mitch Inman, while Nic Stirzaker and Jack Debreczeni will pick up where they left off with the Melbourne Rising in the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC), after being named in the halves. Sam Jeffries will be hopeful of adding to his one Super Rugby cap, earned in the final round last year, after the second rower was named on the bench.
McGahan said that with only one player (Tom Kingston) unavailable due to injury, selecting a squad of 23 was a difficult task.
“It’s a good position to be in, with almost everybody up and running and competing for places,” he said. “We have had to leave behind some very good players, who are very disappointed.
”The 23 we selected get the first opportunity to represent us in Round One; they have earned it, and we’re excited to get out there and kick off our campaign.”
RaboDirect Rebels squad to face Crusaders, AMI Stadium, Friday February 13th, 2015:
1. Toby Smith (Rebel #60, 13 Rebels Caps)
2. Pat Leafa (Rebel #57, 18 Rebels Caps)
3. Laurie Weeks (Rebel #19, 53 Rebels Caps)
4. Luke Jones (Rebel #32, 47 Rebels Caps)
5. Lopeti Timani (Rebel #69, 2 Rebels Caps)
6. Sean McMahon (Rebel #62, 13 Rebels Caps)
7. Colby Fainga’a (Rebel #65, 15 Rebels Caps)
8. Scott Higginbotham (Rebel #46, 29 Rebels Caps)
9. Nic Stirzaker (Rebel #38, 24 Rebels Caps)
10. Jack Debreczeni (Rebel #71, 5 Rebels Caps)
11. Tom English (Rebel #50, 25 Rebels Caps)
12. Mitch Inman (Rebel #35, 44 Rebels Caps)
13. Tamati Ellison (Rebel #62, 15 Rebels Caps)
14. Dom Shipperley (0 Rebels Caps)*
15. Mike Harris (0 Rebels Caps)*
Reserves:
16. Ben Whittaker (0 Rebels Caps)*
17. Cruze Ah-Nau (Rebel #59, 12 Rebels Caps)
18. Paul Alo-Emile (Rebel #44, 34 Rebels Caps)
19. Sam Jeffries (Rebel #74, 1 Rebels Cap)
20. Scott Fuglistaller (Rebel #45, 32 Rebels Caps)
21. Luke Burgess (Rebel #56, 16 Rebels Caps)
22. Bryce Hegarty (Rebel #54, 21 Rebels Caps)
23. Sefanaia Naivalu (0 Rebels Caps)**
* Denotes Rebels debut
** Denotes Super Rugby debut

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Good team. Huge congratulations to Sefa. What a blast, to go from local rugby through to lining up against McCaw and Carter in 12 months.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd have had Debreczeni at fullback and Harris at 10. I think it's a much more reliable option.

Whoever suggested that Fuglistaller could be on the bench and close out the game as captain was on the money. :rolleyes:

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Wow! What a line up!…I love that Jack Debreczni is starting and am I the only one who was surprised by Timani at lock?

I find it an inspiring choice. Perhaps the rebels are trying to replicate the same effect that Potgeiter had at tahs when playing lock just 50 minutes of mild earth tremors!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wow! What a line up!…I love that Jack Debreczni is starting and am I the only one who was surprised by Timani at lock?

I find it an inspiring choice. Perhaps the rebels are trying to replicate the same effect that Potgeiter had at tahs when playing lock just 50 minutes of mild earth tremors!

no, TT is full of surprises, expect the unexpected

no sexton, no neville but much as i would have gone for. also surprised ellison is in.

short of playing jones at 6 this is best backrow in my opinion. jeffries on for timani, fuglistaller on for fainga'a,
i wonder if they have learned from last year, and this combo injuries permitting and irrespective of result, will get a chance to settle over a few games without wholesale changes week to week, "just to see"

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like the look of the Rebels pack, although a bit surprised to not see Neville in there. Must have had some disappointing trial matches as apparently he's not on the injured list. The reserves, particularly the front row, are also strong. I expect them to put up a bold showing tomorrow night, and won't be surprised if they come away with the win.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

No your not the only one surprised, going off Tonys record I am giving us the wooden spoon after the first round team selections.

Unless Neville is injured and they did not say anything it's the strangest selection at Locks ever.

Was going to back the Rebels, with this side I am not. Going to get destroyed at the line out. 5 Back row in the starting lineup.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Unless Neville is injured and they did not say anything it's the strangest selection at Locks ever.
Going to get destroyed at the line out. 5 Back row in the starting lineup.

no, with TT's radical new 2015 gameplan we are not expecting any lineouts with us throwing

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
No Neville is a massive surprise, one of the few true tight head locks going around in Australia at the moment. Is this getting his yearly kick up the arse to perform over with early?

No sexton is weird also, he was very strong in the NRC.

We are going to get schooled in scrums and line outs so hopefully the 5 back rowers do enough damage at the breakdown to make up for it.

Back line looks good though, I think jack D has the goods and 15 is a more natural position for Aussie Mike. Hope Sefa gets on to complete the fairy tale.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what influence, if any, Todd Louden has had on the Rebels game plan.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Neville is deeply average, although I am surprised to see Timani getting the nod. It's a very small pack, although industrious and hard-hitting.

Debreczeni was awful last year at fullback, looks much more comfortable at flyhalf although this is obviously a huge step up.

I have little to no faith in McGahan so not holding out much hope.

Crawford and Veainu are desperately unlucky not to get a look in.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Like others I am surprised that Neville and Sexton are not on the team sheet. Haven't seen Sexton's preseason form; anyone who saw the Reds trial match have any feedback on his game? Neville looks much better in the set piece compared to Timani and you've given up a WHOLE lot of experience by putting big Red on the bench. He did look reasonable around the paddock last weekend, but that will seem like bollocks against the experience of the all blacks playing in that 'Saders side. For this match i'd go strength in the set piece over mobility; we ahve plenty of that already.

Like the press release said it is everyone's first crack for the year and I would expect changes over the coming weeks.

On another note a few of us are heading down to the Turf to watch the match. If you're in the CBD and keen to watch the match with fellow one-eyed Rebel tragics then come on down.

Status
Not open for further replies.