• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
1517dd6e8698d7569d5da90e2415cca5.jpg
Just a terrible image. I'm just gutted for him, that he felt this was what he had to do.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The team plays out of their skin for 79 minutes against the best team in the world and then this. I think there was a lot of good to take away from tonight's game across the board which I would have liked as a template for how we play in future.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
While I am sure the origins of this go back longer than we may realise, to think the catalyst for this disaster for Australian rugby union started because a player took offence at being requested to wear the team uniform like everyone else in the playing group. Is this the lunatics running the asylum?

Remember he punched two team mates after being told to put a shirt on. Taking down the the entire program is only a step up.

Beale goes anyway. It's a joke that it takes this long to solve the most open and shut case of all time.

But let's say it's opposite day and he stays, how do you support a player after this? How do you keep supporting him as he walks into court in front of Tv cameras? What if Patston won't settle like his previous victims? How much faith would the ARU have that Beale would never do it again? Or even make in inappropriate joke at the stadium and be overheard by a cleaner? If he stays, they become liable moving forward, if they aren't already. I'm assuming there's nothing in his file anywhere relating to SH before Patston.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
I may be going out on a limb here, but if Link sent Nick White on with instructions to box kick it and try to close the game down, it was a VERY bad call.

If Genia was fit and coming on with 15 minutes to go, would he have kicked it back to the ABs, and lets face it, lost the game?

The ABs put the foundations down for their win when, with a man in the bin, they geared up and scored points. But - where was the poise at 78 minutes in? Foley motioning to White and pointing at his wrist after that last, stupid, box kick, says it all.

McKenzie in his press conference said "we needed to play it down the other end". Sought of missing the point that if you have it secured in hand with a minute to go, they don't and the geography is immaterial.

Maybe we need a change at the helm.

Thomo

Bob McCowan (2)
So the information we have is:

1. McKenzie wrote to Pulver and explained his reasons earlier today.
2. Tonight, Pulver comes out swinging at the (Fairfax/Sydney) press.

In part, Pulver says:

"In essence, Ewen said he felt he was going to struggle to retain the level of respect from the playing group and support staff, in my view, because of the extraordinary character assassination he has had to deal with the last two weeks."

So it seems pretty clear what has happened here: McKenzie lost the players and was over the character assassination from the press. This entire business has taken its toll.

I'm taking my information from the foxsports and the ABC, because I don't trust a thing that is written in the Fairfax Media.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-18/ewen-mckenzie-resigns-as-wallabies-coach/5824578?section=sport

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...of-the-wallabies/story-e6frf55l-1227094969314

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Thank you Link for all the work you have done for rugby in Australia both as a player and as a coach. Very, very sad it has ended like this.

This is just pathetic. This fucking soap opera I can't stand no more. Fuck the ARU and the fucking numpties within it that have played a role of the creation of this fucking dismal situation. Fuck the spoiled little brats who call themselves players who are meant to be representing us as rugby fans and our country on the international stage. Fuck you Kurtley Beale. A lot of people have stood by you as you face some hardships that life can bring. They gave you the support and the opportunity after several fuck ups yet you still manage to spit in their faces and pis it all against the wall. Fuck the sanctimonious wankers that spew bile unrelated to rugby on the internet and other media. Your actions can destroy lives and careers without a shred of justice but I doubt you have the morals to give a fuck you petty fucking bottom feeders.

Do the decent thing Pulver. Resign and fuck right off.

Yes.
Thanks Link for your vision and heart for the Wobs.

No.
Link resignation could be seen as leading by example. It is sad to him go, I'd think he edged the Wobs in a new direction (with the frame of the past - running rugby) but of all people, with both his rugby brain and business acumen - he prolly assessed that he didnt get the basics right, I'd pinpoint 'culture' - Its a respectable decision, not one that should be blamed on anyone but himself - not media, not KB (Kurtley Beale), not market speculation - I think it also shines the light on dressing room politics and only a dictator-style coach could rule this bunch or weed out the troublemakers - Hopefully, others (instigators) take a similar stand and acknowledge its time to bow out.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't want to see Chekia, Larkham, Fisher, RG or Foley take this.. Give them fast Eddie or Jake White.

They don't give a fuck about players the ARU or anyone, they will do it there way as they have nothing to lose..

I'd love to watch fast eddies presses again.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
So the information we have is:

1. McKenzie wrote to Pulver and explained his reasons earlier today.
2. Tonight, Pulver comes out swinging at the (Fairfax/Sydney) press.

In part, Pulver says:

"In essence, Ewen said he felt he was going to struggle to retain the level of respect from the playing group and support staff, in my view, because of the extraordinary character assassination he has had to deal with the last two weeks."

So it seems pretty clear what has happened here: McKenzie lost the players and was over the character assassination from the press. This entire business has taken its toll.

I'm taking my information from the foxsports and the ABC, because I don't trust a thing that is written in the Fairfax Media.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-18/ewen-mckenzie-resigns-as-wallabies-coach/5824578?section=sport

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...of-the-wallabies/story-e6frf55l-1227094969314

it is indeed a sad day when any fox outlet is considered reputable as a source

T

Train Without a Station

Anybody that thinks the next coach will make a difference is a moron. We could have churchill's leadership with dwyer's rugby brain and it won't make fuck all difference. It's blatantly obviously the problems run deeper than the coaching

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
While I am sure the origins of this go back longer than we may realise, to think the catalyst for this disaster for Australian rugby union started because a player took offence at being requested to wear the team uniform like everyone else in the playing group. Is this the lunatics running the asylum?
The more interesting thing is how vocal the 'senior' players were in defending this player in the lead up to this game.

"He's a great bloke and a great player" - I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I read that or saw it on Fox Sports in the lead up to this game.

How many times does one player need to drag the game and the Wallabies set up in general into disrepute before he is shown the door? Surely a player that was about to play his 100th test could realise that perhaps being a "good bloke" does not excuse the fact that the same player has played a significant part in derailing the team's preparation for at least 4 or 5 tests in the last two years alone?

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I may be going out on a limb here, but if Link sent Nick White on with instructions to box kick it and try to close the game down, it was a VERY bad call.

If Genia was fit and coming on with 15 minutes to go, would he have kicked it back to the ABs, and lets face it, lost the game?

The ABs put the foundations down for their win when, with a man in the bin, they geared up and scored points. But - where was the poise at 78 minutes in? Foley motioning to White and pointing at his wrist after that last, stupid, box kick, says it all.

McKenzie in his press conference said "we needed to play it down the other end". Sought of missing the point that if you have it secured in hand with a minute to go, they don't and the geography is immaterial.

Maybe we need a change at the helm.

Blaming the kick is an absurdity. The malaise set in with more than 15 to go and there were several moments equal to the kick in terms of losing the game. It was a crap kick at the worst possible moment, but it wasn't the be all and end all.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah, either that or go look at South Sydney - have massive support, brilliant recruiting and development and a very strong set-up at the top now.

Anything would be better than this shit.

I think we'd be a bit naive to let the enemy, with it's own systemic problems, look over our books as it were

Status
Not open for further replies.