• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Rebels Rnd 13 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Club rugby around the country provides great players, unfortunately the Waratah's let alot of them slip away - take the Brumbies as an example our most successful profincial side over the years. A well run operation coaching, management, and the "team" a good example.

This is not the ARU's fault!!

The hard thing as a fan in a "Rugby state" is seeing player leave after they have been developed, but NSW and QLD have to remember if they did not have talent leave and play elsewhere then they would not have any opponants, and thierfore no games/revenue etc.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The hard thing as a fan in a "Rugby state" is seeing player leave after they have been developed, but NSW and QLD have to remember if they did not have talent leave and play elsewhere then they would not have any opponants, and thierfore no games/revenue etc.

Talent leaving is not a uniquely NSW and QLD problem, I'd say WA would be pretty miffed that Zac Holmes is performing so well for the ACT for example.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes, I was going to mention that Holmes is a WA product, out of our Premier Grade no less. Why the Force didn't grab him I don't know.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would persist with Seymour, but I agree that poor Dave Harvey looks off the pace. I feel for him, as I think he has the brains and the skill to be a good Super level player, but he's just not quick enough.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Talent leaving is not a uniquely NSW and QLD problem, I'd say WA would be pretty miffed that Zac Holmes is performing so well for the ACT for example.
that is true, but are WA at a point in time where they could almost name a Wallaby team of players who they had lost in the last 5 years?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Here's something to look at, how could you Force supporters possibly be compaining.
NSW probably has the strongest third tier in country - and have not won a super tittle. The Rebels no sit above them.
NSW had probably the best Australian coach in Link, and the season the Tah's made the final - he was gooone?
Why do you think Beale left?
Now there is something that can cause frustration.

Our last home game against the Bulls (2nd on the SA conference) we had 15000 supporters, you guys had a great crowd well done.

I'll use the most succesful Australia Province as an example - Brumbies.
They have been successful primarily with players that NSW didnt sign, they ran a good business / sporting team from top to bottom.
Stay positive and build culture.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not the biggest fan of the rebels.mainly because they have all these handouts. The force have had to struggle to build a team while the rebels have just bought whoever they want. It doesn't matter where they are from. The amount of marquee players aloud is ridiculous. To be honest the rebels have one of the best looking teams on paper when the likes of occonner and saffy aren't injured. if you look at the good players in aus rugby we have none. It's hard out west to bring in or keep great talent. Hopefully it doesn't stay like this forever. Also it shits me that perth missis out on all these competitions that the other franchises compete in. Eg the brumbie runners. Perth gold misses out. Terrible by the ARU. We are being set up to fail!

However, about the game. I think the rebels deserved the win by a whisker.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Ha ha ha ha ha...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'll use the most succesful Australia Province as an example - Brumbies.
They have been successful primarily with players that NSW didnt sign, they ran a good business / sporting team from top to bottom.
Stay positive and build culture.

Yep, spot on. They lost their way for a while, but things are definitely on the up at the Brumbies and they set the standard for both on and off field management in Australia for a number of years.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Sunday afternoon rugby on the telly? Yes please....

A good contest all round, especially the first 60 - 65 minutes.

In the first half we witnessed some top notch backline play by the Rebels. Aside from the speed and high tempo from KB (Kurtley Beale), the backline functioned as a 'integrated whole' and this naturally put the Force defence under plenty of pressure. Huxley's two passes on the left side were surgically precise.

2nd half and we saw a marked lift in intensity from Force. More gritty than pretty for sure - but they definately reshaped the game in their favour.

Yes, the game deteriorated towards the end with skittish play from both teams. But that was more a sign of each teams desire to not end up on the losing side - rather than indifference or poor attitude.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I had a chat with some Force fans after the game and the issue of concessions came up again.

To be honest, to say the Rebels are succeeding just because of their concessions is doing the recruitment and management teams of the Rebels a massive disservice. They deserve praise for how they have used what concessions they have, instead of just dismissing it as an unfair advantage.

For example, Gareth Delve, who will remain a legend of this club long after he boards his flight to the Riviera. Nobody could have predicted how he, or any other international player, would have performed in Super Rugby. It could have been very easy for all 10 international places to go completely balls-up, but the Rebels have made it work.

As an aside, with the departure of Danny Cipriani, we are now a year ahead of where we are allowed to be for international places, with 6.

As for us having the ability to poach stars or buying a team or whatever; What stopped the Force chasing Cooper Vuna, Jarrod Saffy, Mark Gerrard, Lachlan Mitchell, Hugh Pyle, even Stirling Mortlock? It's not like we were around to stop them.

Of course, it's established that the ARU botched areas of the Force's inclusion, which affected not only them, but Queensland as well. I'm sure that the Rebels have benefitted from the lessons learned.

To say, however, that whatever success we have is purely down to concessions and a mythical pile of cash, is just lazy, really.

Rant over :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it comes down to the hard lesson that the ARU learned with the intro of the Force, as you say Stu. I'm actually glad for the sake of Australian rugby that the same mistakes were not made this time.

None of this takes into account that the Rebels are running their ship better at the minute and we need to improve.

How did you enjoy the experience, BTW? Most of our out of town visitors are actually Force fans who don the jersey of their "home" union when they come to town ;) I like to think that like most rugby fans, we are pretty welcoming of opposition supporters. I heard a few people cheering for the Rebels yesterday and they weren't copping any derision back!

M

Moono75

The ARU simply couldn't afford to stuff up the introduction of the Rebels into the comp. They understand Victoria is a future cash cow and can't afford to fail in this market. They will do whatever it takes to ensure the Rebels succeed. The Force on the other hand are the ARU's equivalent of a five year olds discarded toy after Christmas.

D

daz

. They will do whatever it takes to ensure the Rebels succeed. The Force on the other hand are the ARU's equivalent of a five year olds discarded toy after Christmas.

Formal submissions for response to this statement are now being accepted.

:D

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Why bother? He's determined to be bitter about things. Easier to blame the Rebels and the ARU than accept that the Force might have made some mistakes.

M

Moono75

I'm pointing out that the lessons learn't from the introduction of the Force have been learn't and applied with the introduction of the Rebels. Surely Rebel fans can see the model is a bit different to that used when the Force came in and can see the importance the ARU would be putting on seeing the game succeed in Victoria. As for all the talk about concessions with players etc I really don't care about that. That comes down to talent identification and recruitment.

And the discarded toy analogy I used above was to be taken in a jovial context. Perhaps a smiley face was required.

W

Waylon

West Australians hate Vics........an AFL rivalry

The rivalry exists

After a bit of a stink yesterday, O'Connor's departure and a few close games, it is likely to develop

W

Waylon

Why bother? He's determined to be bitter about things. Easier to blame the Rebels and the ARU than accept that the Force might have made some mistakes.

Agreed

The Force management are to blame for 1) not developing locals, 2) recruiting poorly, 3) hiring sh1thouse coaches

The blame for the demise of the Force falls at the feet or Rugby WA HQ

D

daz

Agreed

The Force management are to blame for 1) not developing locals, 2) recruiting poorly, 3) hiring sh1thouse coaches

The blame for the demise of the Force falls at the feet or Rugby WA HQ

Whoa. Did I miss a media release? Well, I suppose the Force dropping out will allow the Kings to come in without losing the Lions....:D

A little bit hyperbolic, Waylon. I think the Force have a few more bad games in them before the ARU starts shopping the franchise around.....

kronic

John Solomon (38)
After a busy 48 hours, thought I'd check out here.

Wow wee (as AFL commentator BT would say).

I was bordering on a cardiac arrest at 77 minutes, post Beale's kick. I almost jumped into the roof of the shed, upon landing I collapsed onto the ground, in sheer disbelief. Brisbane, Canberra, Sydney and finally Perth, the last Aussie away trip, I see an away win.

I like the Shed, it adds character to the ground. Not fond of the Super Hero stuff, some clubs have done it throughout the season, luckily we haven't. Stick to the footy. Oh, and drop the fake atmosphere.

Supporters were fine, except some drunken dicks near us, but who doesn't have that. I've had issues at other away games anyway.

It wasn't a great game, but I'll more than take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.