• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Bench players or not, I for one think they all should be in Dublin as soon as possible and be together training for the Irish test. And isn't it a bit presumptuous to think that Cheika will have settled his starters and bench jockeys by the day after the French test when the team (and coaches) otherwise will have left for Dublin?

I think Chek has already picked his starters for the Test, barring unforeseen injury and a wow of a performance by somebody.

The bench may pose a little more of a dilemma for him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Bench players or not, I for one think they all should be in Dublin as soon as possible and be together training for the Irish test. And isn't it a bit presumptuous to think that Cheika will have settled his starters and bench jockeys by the day after the French test when the team (and coaches) otherwise will have left for Dublin?

I only just read the other thread where it's pointed out that the main squad is heading to Ireland early in the week. Personally I think it would make more sense for the whole squad to stay in France until Friday. That not being the case though I would say that the remaining 5 or 6 places in the team will be filled by players based/playing in Europe. They will be capped players you'd assume:

Horwill
Mowen
Houston
Ioane
Harris
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Mitchell

to name a few. It may not be them, I'm just using them as examples. Of course this assumes their clubs will allow them to play

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well it already isn't entirely, e.g. Quade. Thanks for the snide comment though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You haven't answered the question though.:)

Nothing snide about it - if it's your view that nationality and nation states are a thing of the past, then that is post-moderinsm.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This is an excerpt from an old Georgina article (written the day after the loss to the Boks). Obviously To'omua and Beale are out of the equation but I'm tipping the last bench spots will come from NH based players.

Matt To'omua could be one such player after his departure to Leicester last month. The former Brumbies centre does not meet the 60-Test threshold under Giteau's Law and is not contracted in Australia next season, so could not play for the Wallabies in a Test over there, but could be called in for the midweek clash. Former Wallabies Ben Mowen, Jesse Mogg, Sitaleki Timani, Salesi Ma'afu, Nic White, James O'Connor and James Horwill are also playing in Europe, as is former NSW hooker John Ulugia and Kurtley Beale, whose expected return from a knee injury could dovetail nicely with the Wallabies' visit to the continent.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Don't know if the last word is meant to be 'tour' or 'year' but it doesn't make any difference I guess.

Big loss but grade 2 MCL isn't a disaster in terms of his career.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
PK, I agree almost entirely with your comments except the highlit piece.

After the 23 for Ireland are selected and quarantined, Cheika has about 17 or 18 players left - not enough to fill the roster of 23 players for the French Baa Baas. It would be funny if it wasn't serious. Can you see any other avenue for filling the Baa baas' side while taking 23 players to Dublin early?

You are correct

01 Smith
02 Ready
03 Ryan
04 Skelton
05 Carter
06 Fardy
07 McMahon
08 ?
09 Strizaker
10 Lance
11 Koroibete
12 Godwin
13 Speight (if 6:2 Irish bench)
14 TN
15 Morohan

16 Latu / Hanson
17 Slipper
18 Robertson
19 ?
20 ?
21 Frisby

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You are correct

01 Smith
02 Ready
03 Ryan
04 Skelton
05 Carter
06 Fardy
07 McMahon
08 ?
09 Strizaker
10 Lance
11 Koroibete
12 Godwin
13 Speight (if 6:2 Irish bench)
14 TN
15 Morohan

16 Latu / Hanson
17 Slipper
18 Robertson
19 ?
20 ?
21 Frisby

You have left out the development players PK. 8. Dempsey, 13. Perese

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
You have left out the development players PK. 8. Dempsey, 13. Perese

Thanks that takes care of
8 - Dempsey
22 - Perese (or he could swap with Speight)
23 - Kellaway

so that just leaves 2 positions 19 and 20, so not that bad.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Took it the wrong way, sorry. And yeah, that's my view more or less.

So you believe in no nation states and thus no borders?

So would you be happy with literally millions of middle east refugees coming to australia then?

Mind you with no nation states then no need for providing support of any kind since there is no nation to do that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Speight's in the run on side, he won't be playing. And I forgot about Kellaway again!

19. Jones
20. Houston
22. Harris

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
With Coleman out the only viable option to provide muscle at lock is Douglas.

What are the chances he is fit enough and will play as well as he did in the rwc?

Honestly Coleman is in the top 3 players the wallabies could least lose because their replacement is so less able to fulfill their role.

Coleman, Genia, Pocock.

No one is as good at the ruck as Pocock and he showed his value yet again against Scotland when the wallaby forwards are not dominating.

Genia purely because up until the wales test and now scotland Phipps was way behind. That may not be as big an issue now if Phipps can retain his srping renaissance.

Coleman .... Douglas. Douglas hits hard in tackles and rucks. But does not carry as well nor have his work rate or as good in the lineout.
In many ways Coleman has the best attributes of Simmons and Douglas.

Status
Not open for further replies.