• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd have Hanson in 16 before Latu

we should keep our second best rake on ice for the Irish test.

second best rake

latest

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Hanson > Latu. Btw heard a rumour that Chibba's jaw was cracked by one of his over eager teammates in a non-contact drill. Reportedly he was furious.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd go along with Lindommer's ratings in this case. Latu is imo a stronger player with more potential than Hanson. However, if Hanson's jaw hasn't improved (three breaks was the early report), then the question is moot.

Really no excuse for not bringing in another hooker once Hanson was injured, and someone like Jono Lance would be extremely handy at No 10 for the Baa Baas game. Pretty ordinary game scheduling and squad makeup to inject a mid-week game between two full test matches and apparently not have sufficient numbers of players in each position to allow the test starting 23 or 25 (possibles) a rest in that week. Maybe they have their eyes on expats doing the business over in Europe, but even so who would the No 10 be?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So apparently the main squad will be over in Dublin when this game is played.

Given the numbers it would appear that a couple of test 23 players will have to be involved in this game but you'd assume that anyone in the starting XV for the test side won't remain in Paris for this game.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So apparently the main squad will be over in Dublin when this game is played.

Given the numbers it would appear that a couple of test 23 players will have to be involved in this game but you'd assume that anyone in the starting XV for the test side won't remain in Paris for this game.

I think the team designated for Ireland and England will be flagged straight after the France game, and flown to Dublin earlier in the week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No doubt that's right Pfitzy, but it still begs the question of there not being sufficient numbers of players left for a complete team against the French Baa Baas. As BH says, there will need to be some, hopefully bench players, in the main squad left in Paris to fill the team numbers for the mid-week game. A very poor effort by the ARU and squad selectors all round imo.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Does the Australia (A?) team have a separate head coach, and/or support coaches to the Wallabies? If not, will Cheika coach two teams located in two different countries, simultaneously, (assuming the Wallabies are in Dublin when the Australia (A?) team plays the French Barbarians)?!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^We've had our kickers coached by Skype in the past.

It wasn't an unbridled success, but maybe that Dingoesque thinking still prevails.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^We've had our kickers coached by Skype in the past.

It wasn't an unbridled success, but maybe that Dingoesque thinking still prevails.

Hugh, the thought did cross my mind that now that The Barbarians matches are over, (unbeaten) head coach Robbie could drop into Paris to guide Australia (A?) through the French Barbarians match!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I have used a spreadsheet (below) to try and map out the options and possibilities for the next four games. The issues are:
  1. No one can get injured in the French game in most positions. There are a few where we have enough cover for both Ireland and the Barbarians, but not many and mainly in the backs.
  2. We've got one too many halfbacks in the enlarged squad and not enough locks
  3. I have assumed Hanson will be OK to play in the Barbarians; if he's not we don't have enough hookers and Latu will have to play at 16 for the Barbarians and then come off the bench against Ireland. Not impossible but his Ireland prep will be stuffed.
  4. I've assumed that McMahon has recovered from his ankle injury - if not, why did we put him on the plane? And why haven't we sent for reinforcements?
  5. If we can't borrow Houston for the Thursday we are also short a backrower.
  6. I haven't filled out a team for England because its impossible to think there will be no injuries in the next two weeks. I am assuming Genia will return to Stade Francais.
  7. I have selected a largely reserve team for the French game with those who have had too much footy on the bench or resting. If you want to guarantee to lose the England game by all means pick the best team available for France. For justification I note that our friends across the ditch are very strong on ensuring their best and brightest are not burnt out through overexposure and they play less games than us. Given their form they are probably doing something right.
  8. Controversially, I think wet weather is likely for Landsdowne Road so I have gone for a 6:2 bench split. In conditions where the battle is likely to be forward-orientated, I like 6:2. To ameliorate those opposed I offer the guarantee that Skelton is not one of those selected.
So here is the table:
TEAM SELECTIONS

Pos Ireland France French Barbarians
1 Sio Sio Ryan
2 Moore Latu Hanson/Ready
3 Kepu AAA Slipper (v-capt)
4 Arnold Douglas Carter
5 Simmons Simmons Skelton
6 Pocock Fardy (v-capt) Dempsey
7 Hooper Pocock (capt) McMahon
8 Timani McMahon/Timani Fardy (capt)
9 Genia Genia Frisby
10 Foley Cooper Lance
11 Speight Naivalu Naiyaravoro
12 Hodge Hodge Godwin
13 Kuridrani Folau Perese
14 DHP Koroibete Kellaway
15 Folau DHP Monahan

16 Latu Moore Ready/Latu
17 Robertson Robertson Smith
18 AAA Kepu Robertson
19 Douglas Arnold
20 Mumm Mumm Houston
21 McMahon Phipps Powell/Stirzacker
22 Phipps Foley Naivalu
23 Cooper Speight Koroibete

We are still short a bench lock. Why didn't we take Jeremy Tilse on the tour, he could have stepped in to cover. (This last question is not serious, but the lack of a back-up lock is).
Any suggestions?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sorry about the table. I tried copying it in as a picture but no luck. Any 8 year olds out there who can tell me what to do?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I like a lot of these selections Hawko. In particular would like to see Latu get some decent game time for France game (start) as he has been form hooker and like to see what he can offer at test level and this is the game to find out. With what few minutes saw in Wales game was impressive albeit the 4-5 minutes on.

Yes lets see DHP at Fullback and Folau at 13 just to explore options and depth in positions.

Lets see what Koroibete offers in a real test rather than just baa baa's. Give skelton a full game against French baa's baa's and see what he has to offer. Also like Fardy starting against French to give himself a chance to show whether he deserves to win starting 6 back....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brumby Runner - I disagree with reps from baa baas and chance for few bench players to have more minutes against French Baa Baa's I don't see the problem.

All core starting 15 members should be able to have a rest noting a couple have in any case not played in both Wales and Scotland games.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Australia's EoYT for 2016 has entered a tricky stage at the midway point: a grand slam's still possible but there're two challenging matches against French teams in quick succession. How the brains trust manage the squad and selections for these last four matches is going to render this tour worthy of a pass mark at best or, hopefully, wildly successful.

Priorities:
1. defeat Ireland. 2. defeat England. 3. defeat France.

Presumptions:
Coleman out, Douglas and McMahon available to play France, Hanson for the French Barbarians match.
Some players (Moore, Kepu, Arnold, Hooper, Foley and Folau) should be put on ice for the last two tests.

Course of action:
1. select XV for Irish test (I'd like the 23 for Ireland selected and put aside from the French matches but I don't think the numbers are there).
2. select squad for French test excluding Irish XV.
3. select reserves for Irish test after Saturday.
4. select squad for French BaaBaas after this Saturday.

My teams

Irish XV
1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Arnold
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (Pocock to wear 7 against England)
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Foley (tempted to start Cooper but Foley should be put in cotton wool)
11. Speight
12. Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. Haylett-Petty
15. Folau

French test squad
1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Smith
4. Carter
5. Douglas
6. Mumm
7. Pocock
8. McMahon
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Naivalu
12. Godwin
13. Morahan
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Kellaway
16. Ready
17. Ryan
18. Robertson
19. Skelton
20. Dempsey
21. Frisby
22. Lance
23. Koroibete

French Barbarians squad
Hanson, Ready, Ala'alatoa/Robertson/Ryan/Slipper/Smith, Carter/Douglas, Skelton, Dempsey, McMahon/Mumm, Frisby, Stirzaker, Lance, Godwin. Perese, Koroibete, Morahan/Naivalu/Naiyaravoro, Kellaway

TBH I don't mind if we lose to France on Saturday, not that I like losing. After all, a coach as esteemed as The Parrot was happy to lose the odd mid-week game in his quest for the grand slam in 1994. Some of the squad from the French test will move to the bench for the Irish test, the remainder to the Frog BaaBaas squad. I just think it's imperative the test XV be reserved for the two mighty challenges ahead, that's why I advocate selecting the Irish XV and French 23 now.

Coaches? There are four coaches on tour, two with a forwards background and two backs. How about Cheika and Grey run the Irish XV in Dublin and Larkham and Ledesma take the Oz BaaBaas over to Bordeaux? A chance for Stephen to see how he goes as HC with a national team.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Lindommer, I totally agree with your last paragraph, re the coaching staff. Larkham would (should) "jump at the chance".

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tp me I will be intersected to see how Lance goes at 10.

Plenty of critics flogging both Foley and Cooper and most seem to recognise neither has really made the position his own (although Foley a fair way in front of cooper ATM)

Maybe Lance will really shine ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Coaches? There are four coaches on tour, two with a forwards background and two backs. How about Cheika and Grey run the Irish XV in Dublin and Larkham and Ledesma take the Oz BaaBaas over to Bordeaux? A chance for Stephen to see how he goes as HC with a national team.

Chris Malone is still part of the setup isn't he?

It would be classic Aussie rhyming slang to leave him there by himself to look after the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.