• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe he will but maybe either of the other 2 would have as well v the French Barbarians.

Yeah maybe, but those blokes have had ample opportunity (particularly Foley) to lock down the spot.

It will be refreshing to see a new bloke at 10, but only against the Babas.

The search for that great 10 continues (and jeez I'm not saying Lance is the answer)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
HJN, sorry but I didn't see your post!! I always thought Chris was Pat's cousin, not brother!!!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I saw last night somewhere that JOC (James O'Connor) was approached by Cheika to play in this and was keen but Toulon said they wouldn't release players and then he got injured last week anyway.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Why wouldn't they all just head to Dublin after the French Test and then the 23 (possibly 24; 8 man bench, one to be omitted of course :D ) fly back to Paris the morning of the Baa Baas game and get on a late flight back to Dublin after?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just checked webjet. Friday morning they can catch a 6:15am flight to Paris, stop there for a couple of hours for some brekkie then catch a 9:40am to Dublin and be there by 10:40am.

Can I charge the ARU a consultancy fee now?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ There should be more Australia A games. Tours to Tier 2 Countries, midweek fixtures during Wallaby Tours, games against anyone keen enough to take on our 2nd XV, etc. - Why risk the Wallabies "record"? Just nominate these fixtures as an Australia A game.

I'd be as proud as punch to have been selected for Australia's 2nd best team, and I'd be over the moon if any player that I had coached (despite my involvement) had made it to Australian "A" level.

Hopefully when The Pulverisor is finished running the ARU we will be able to fund an active Australia A/Australian Barbarians program.

To a player at their talent peak that is lucky enough to be selected in an AUS A team for a fixture against the Dumbforkistan International team in the Outer Wherethefukarewe International Stadium, that selection will be a memory that they (and their family) will treasure forever. Depending which figures you believe, there are somewhere around 200k male rugby players in Australia. To be considered as being in the top 100 or so of those 200k players is a pretty special achievement.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I think that touring places like Tbilisi, Bucharest, Apia, Chicago and Windhoek would also create an amazing culture around that 'A' side. As a Wallaby playing two seasons you have probably played at 80% of the grounds you are ever going to play at. Travelling to the homes of the tier 2s is a much more varied experience and potentially invaluable in ensuring our next set of Wallabies are ready to take their place. It would also help with tier 2 development, which helps the global game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Assuming that it's not financially unfeasible, I wonder if they've offered and had been rejected by say Georgia, USA, Romania, etc.

There's not much commercial interest in those sorts of games, and for the Georgians in particular, they'll be wanting to consistently play full international sides. Hell, there was no Tbilisi Cup this season, because the year before they were denied permission to use their A side, but played the A side as full internationals instead.

Would be fun though. Maybe the first step could be June Internationals 2018? Send the A Side to be the guest team in the Pacific Tri-Nations, a la Georgia this year?

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^ I have been to Tbilisi and can tell you that Georgian hospitality is a thing one won't forget anytime soon. Damn marvelous people them Georgians.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
^^^ There should be more Australia A games. Tours to Tier 2 Countries, midweek fixtures during Wallaby Tours, games against anyone keen enough to take on our 2nd XV, etc. - Why risk the Wallabies "record"? Just nominate these fixtures as an Australia A game.

I'd be as proud as punch to have been selected for Australia's 2nd best team, and I'd be over the moon if any player that I had coached (despite my involvement) had made it to Australian "A" level.

Hopefully when The Pulverisor is finished running the ARU we will be able to fund an active Australia A/Australian Barbarians program.

To a player at their talent peak that is lucky enough to be selected in an AUS A team for a fixture against the Dumbforkistan International team in the Outer Wherethefukarewe International Stadium, that selection will be a memory that they (and their family) will treasure forever. Depending which figures you believe, there are somewhere around 200k male rugby players in Australia. To be considered as being in the top 100 or so of those 200k players is a pretty special achievement.
Well we know why not so many Australia a tours as about the money side which aru does not have as much of. Yes be good to see with improvements in rugby finances after pulvers reign more Australia a tours but baby steps.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well we know why not so many Australia a tours as about the money side which aru does not have as much of. Yes be good to see with improvements in rugby finances after pulvers reign more Australia a tours but baby steps.

Yep. Match fees still have to be paid - say $5k per player per match, plus expenses plus coaches, medics etc etc. It's probably a cost of $200k per match for the ARU, with virtually no revenue to offset it. Imagine what a full tour would cost.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well this is an interesting development which may indicate what we may see from this team.
b7fc6b3b280cc7886601e28a61a2979c.png

Status
Not open for further replies.