• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Could also be a case of Cheika and/or the Wallaby coaching staff saying that they think this guy is good and he deserves attention from the Super Rugby sides.

Seems like he could get a better offer than the Tahs wider training squad.

Could be.

Sadly the Tahs seem pretty well staffed for props. In fact, everyone does. Which is a shame, because IMO there's a TH on every roster than deserves a contract less than him.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unfortunately looks like another case of a player coming from the unfashionable end of town being overlooked for players from the fashionable end .
A very common issue . My favourite is the Rebels turning down Adam Coleman about 4 years ago because he was from Parra and to quote the then Rebels forwards coach ( a much capped Wallaby lock ) was very ordinary .
Nice one genius . I reckon the Rebs would crawl over broken glass to have him now . If only he played for Uni.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately looks like another case of a player coming from the unfashionable end of town being overlooked for players from the fashionable end .
A very common issue . My favourite is the Rebels turning down Adam Coleman about 4 years ago because he was from Parra and to quote the then Rebels forwards coach ( a much capped Wallaby lock ) was very ordinary .
Nice one genius . I reckon the Rebs would crawl over broken glass to have him now . If only he played for Uni.

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but the Rebels signed Jack D at around that time (who was playing out of West Harbour).

Are you sure it was that cut and dry?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
It happened and it was that cut and dry . Was given a tape of Adam from a Parra match and said he was ordinary . JD was signed under the next coaching regime , the current one

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm not saying this didn't happen, but the Rebels signed Jack D at around that time (who was playing out of West Harbour).

Are you sure it was that cut and dried?

Fixed.

To answer the question: The trip between Concord and Merrylands may only be 25 minutes by road, but it is another dimension as far as the rugby cognoscenti are concerned.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It happened and it was that cut and dry . Was given a tape of Adam from a Parra match and said he was ordinary . JD was signed under the next coaching regime , the current one
Okay, so he judged him negatively arguably due to confirmation bias? I thought you were saying he literally said 'he is bad because he's from X club'.

Fixed.

To answer the question: The trip between Concord and Merrylands may only be 25 minutes by road, but it is another dimension as far as the rugby cognoscenti are concerned.

Fair enough.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Could be.

Sadly the Tahs seem pretty well staffed for props. In fact, everyone does. Which is a shame, because IMO there's a TH on every roster than deserves a contract less than him.

Sure but that's always a reality between players at the fringes of squads and those just outside it.

He has the Summer training with the Tahs and perhaps an EPS contract elsewhere wouldn't be enough to get him to relocate just yet.

Of the Tahs props, it's not like they re-signed any of their last couple of props for 2017.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Could be.

He could end up lost to Aus rugby. A good game in front of the French who value good props and who knows what sort of contract offers come his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
He could end up lost to Aus rugby. A good game in front of the French who value good props and who knows what sort of contract offers come his way.

Well he should be pulling out all stops for this game

As often is the case. Do it for the family !

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm available to call the game. I'll even do it for free as long as they cover my expenses. Clearly flying guys over there last minute isn't an issue for the ARU so lock me in and I'll catch you all on the stream from Bordeaux. :D

Hasn't Justin Harrison been doing commentary on one of the feeds, and isn't Justin Harrison one of the coaches of the Wallaby XV? Assuming that it's the same Justin Harrison, why can't he be "miked up" to provide an English commentary, (audio only)?!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

This is a guess, but he's been a stand-out player for a while and I'd be surprised if he hadn't been offered some form of overseas contract. My guess is he just doesn't want to uproot his young family from Sydney.

It's something you particularly hear from a few of the pacific lads.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hasn't Justin Harrison been doing commentary on one of the feeds, and isn't Justin Harrison one of the coaches of the Wallaby XV? Assuming that it's the same Justin Harrison, why can't he be "miked up" to provide an English commentary, (audio only)?!

I know it's only a friendly/exhibition match but I reckon being in the coaching team would mean that Harrison is unavailable to call the game.

Horwill on the other hand (no pun intended) was doing some commentary on these EOTY games and clearly won't be playing footy this weekend so he could be an option.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lolohea has played one strong season of NRC.

I really think he's only just appeared on the radar.

Didn't he start last year too? He's also been involved with Tahs preseasons and I'd imagine all those blokes are on someone's radar.

If you're doing Super preseason you'd be a great D2 or Top League.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't he start last year too? He's also been involved with Tahs preseasons and I'd imagine all those blokes are on someone's radar.

If you're doing Super preseason you'd be a great D2 or Top League.

Well it is fairly obvious that Franchises don't share some posters views on how good the bloke is.

Otherwise someone would have found room for him (somewhere)

Cyril Towers (30)
I know it's only a friendly/exhibition match but I reckon being in the coaching team would mean that Harrison is unavailable to call the game.

Horwill on the other hand (no pun intended) was doing some commentary on these EOTY games and clearly won't be playing footy this weekend so he could be an option.
Definitely not a friendly/ exhibition match. They'll be going at each other for sure. For a lot of these guys it's their only game on tour. They'll be ripping in trying to make an impression.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
No doubt these guys will be ripping but it is absolutely a friendly. It's not a Test match (counts for no caps) and there's nothing on the line (trophy, competition points, qualification etc) that I'm aware of anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.