• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
Did Lolohea get on? I had to get the kids to school so missed the last couple of minutes. Thought Robertson did a good job once he figured out what the opposing THP was doing, but Lolohea deserved an opportunity.
Robertson was playing THP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I didn't see Lolohea get on. Sef got less than 5 minutes I thought. Closer to 2 mins but could be wrong.

Someone was asking about Perese before. He didn't end up making the 23.
That was me, thats a shame for the lad.. Should have made the 23 instead of one of the french mob

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
SPeaking of touch finders: at one point around three-quarter time, the French cleared from a penalty, and Kellaway was a couple of metres outside touch, inside the French half of the field, where it landed.

The French AR went straight to the touchline parallel to where he caught it.

Uh, physics, mon ami?
Pfitzy, I remember another one similar that actually went into the crowd. The AR almost marked the spot where it was caught in the crowd. I thought to myself, amazing physics that the ball can go over the plane of touch and then immediately do a 90 degree bend to the right. Like WTF? There were plenty of those calls though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
At least Stirzacker had time to pull his socks up, mid game...

Yeah I saw that too. WTF was that all about? At a ruck, on attack, about 15m out with 10 to go. I wondered if it was some kind of cunning ploy to try to get one of the Frogs to advance early and get pinged for offside. Whatever it was, it looked pretty ridiculous!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah I saw that too. WTF was that all about? At a ruck, on attack, about 15m out with 10 to go. I wondered if it was some kind of cunning ploy to try to get one of the Frogs to advance early and get pinged for offside. Whatever it was, it looked pretty ridiculous!

Caught it too. It looked like he delayed the pass to pull his bloody socks up! You're not meant to take the sledging literally!

It looked like a scratch match between two teams who don't train together, in wet conditions and on a pitch designed for soccer, which is exactly what it was.

Enjoyed watching the French baa-baas backs counter attack - some great innovation and passing to advantage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Those scrums were quite strange, quite a few times the french THP would move his bind onto Ryan's arm after engagement and then when Ryan lost his bind, Ryan was penalised

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One scrum about midway through the second half went for about a minute without moving and then the French LHP turned inwards at about 60 degrees and caused the whole shebang to go down; penalty to France for the Wallabies collapsing.o_O

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Those scrums were quite strange, quite a few times the french THP would move his bind onto Ryan's arm after engagement and then when Ryan lost his bind, Ryan was penalised

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thought the biggest hair-brained moment of the game was when the Wallabies turned over ball on half way with most the French still behind the Wallabies' line, and Frisby kicked for touch at the first ruck. That was a moment meant for running the ball and most likely scoring out on the right hand side. Nick really did have a very poor game.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Really bad luck for Lance - looks like his arm is broken....which undoubtedly mucked pre-match plans around.
Would be interested to find out if they actually play rugby on that pitch - someone has already mentioned how poorly prepared the surface was - and perhaps even worse than AAMI...
Hard for the backs to get any real go-forward unfortunately - so not much opportunity to see how Korobete has settled in.
Will probably have to re-do an A/T course now...........obviously the law has changed as regards where a lineout should form from kicks into touch.

I think PFitzy encapsulated things well - one would like to think most posters will look at the match for what it was.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Those scrums were quite strange,
but very typical of french refereeing of scrums, when you watch Top14, the referee decides quite early which is the better/more dominant scrum, and from then on, irrespective of what happens, that team get all the penalties every time there is a collapse or the weaker scrum seems to have an advantage = must have pushed early.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One scrum about midway through the second half went for about a minute without moving and then the French LHP turned inwards at about 60 degrees and caused the whole shebang to go down; penalty to France for the Wallabies collapsing.o_O

That was also their THP pulling back at the same time. Pre-arranged tactic: if we're going nowhere on our ball, one of the locks makes a call and we drop it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And they flew in the guy from the Rams and left him with splinters in his butt. Its a trial barbars game give him a run

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes I was absolutely peeved about that - feel for the guy (David Lolohea) is - and its a baa baa game ffs. Shit game made worst that was not played in spirit of true baa baa fashion. French at least pulled lots of subs early.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sad to say but I think our oie was cooked when Lance went off. We looked a touch disjointed in attack and let the Frog backs make too many easy metres in defence.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yes I was absolutely peeved about that - feel for the guy (David Lolohea) is - and its a baa baa game ffs. Shit game made worst that was not played in spirit of true baa baa fashion. French at least pulled lots of subs early.
Strange, they had a test match mentality with regards to substitutions,which is contrary to the selections they made for the 23 for this game.
Something was lost in the translation before the main camp moved on to Dublin.

Status
Not open for further replies.