• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Giteau must be in Wallabies World Cup squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If your off to another country to play Rugby and cant be selected for next year.. Then he shouldnt be selected for the wallabies. and that goes with burgess.
need player who will be there next year,

Agreed, if there is a decent other option who will be around next year.

Who would be the better option than Burgess?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If your off to another country to play Rugby and cant be selected for next year.. Then he shouldnt be selected for the wallabies. and that goes with burgess.

need player who will be there next year,

Disagree. We need the players who can win the RWC.

These guys now plan their retirement/European pension around RWCs for the most part. They are professionals and I see no problem with picking someone who has stuck around for the express purpose of representing their country in a RWC.
There is also nothing wrong with players returning from OS to try and be selected for a RWC. If they gain selection then all power to them.

On the EOYT we start grooming the replacements for Burgess and anyone else who retires/goes to Europe.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
If you can't finish the super 15 year then you should be selected either. Barnes is a huge risk.

T

Thomotah

Can't help but feel we've weakened the squad. Gits is a better half back thanPhipps but do wonder if he refused the role. A bit of time there in club rugby might have given the selector a timely reminder. Hope he would still answer the call if we lose anyone.

G

Geeves

This is a cut from stuff I posted elsewhere.

Giteau career was cut short for some very good reasons. Firstly as a player with sublime skills at IC he was constantly shuffled around the backline playing anywhere from halfback, five eight to out on the wing. Let’s be brutal here a series of coaches tried to turn a fantastic 12 into a 10 and well he sucked there. Being at 10 he was cramped for room and crabbed sideways collapsing the backline space and effectively forcing the OC to straighten the line. Just look his last efforts in the wallaby jumper against Samoa.

When coaches finally realised he wasn’t a 10 and the rise of Cooper at 10, allowed Giteau to move back to 12. But the playing style between Cooper and Giteau did not click. As the person running the backline has got to be your 10, the 12 is then expendable. The number of media reports about Deans and Giteau not being able to work together it makes it a damn site easier for Deans to show Giteau the door.

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
No doubt Giteau has been a good and loyal servant to Australian rugby through some pretty tough times in recent years, but let's remember a couple of things:
When Larkham retired, it was Giteau who put his hand up to be the new fly-half. I have distinct memories of him campaigning for the role. He got it, and it was a shambles. But then he went to Perth and played a couple of good seasons at fly-half, which led him and others to believe he was ready for the role at Test level. Trouble is, there's a huge gulf between Super 15 and Test level rugby, which he never overcame. He did, however, play well in the centres when swapped with Berrick Barnes.
Then he came back to the Brumbies, and i say this with the greatest of respect, but can anyone remember more than, say five occasions since then that he has actually broken the line? I'm a Brumbies fan, and for the life of me, I can't

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Agreed, if there is a decent other option who will be around next year.

Who would be the better option than Burgess?

Phipps would be sufficiant and Stanard in as the third. Reality is that the back up half will see little game time. That said I have no problem with Burgess being there.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Disagree about Phipps, Ruggo. His game against Samoa was a big part of the Wallabies failure that day.

D

daz

Disagree about Phipps, Ruggo. His game against Samoa was a big part of the Wallabies failure that day.

Better to be blooded and get a taste of Test rugby in a game no-one will remember, rather than in a game where a trophy is on the line.

That said, I agree with Ruggo; chances of Phipps getting game time is very minimal.

W

wikman

The point there are three halfbacks in the squad at all is just a waste of a position in the RWC squad. No reverse number 7 while 3 number eights. Also why did the captain change this close to the tournament is just asking for trouble. Should have been decided at the start of the International season instead of changing half way through. Rocky Elsom is now going to be ignorant and annoying for the new Wallabies captain as he will not fall into line after being dumped as captain.

H

H...

The point there are three halfbacks in the squad at all is just a waste of a position in the RWC squad. No reverse number 7 while 3 number eights. Also why did the captain change this close to the tournament is just asking for trouble. Should have been decided at the start of the International season instead of changing half way through. Rocky Elsom is now going to be ignorant and annoying for the new Wallabies captain as he will not fall into line after being dumped as captain.

What happens if Genia is injured against Italy, and can't play against Ireland. Are you suggesting we play Ireland with only one halfback in the 22?

D

daz

Rocky Elsom is now going to be ignorant and annoying for the new Wallabies captain as he will not fall into line after being dumped as captain.

Hi and welcome.

Quick questions: How do you know this? Have you seen any indication that this is likely to be the case?

D

daz

I take your point DPK, but I doubt we are going to lose the RWC due to Phipps.

W

wikman

Yes. The chance of two halfbacks getting injured in the early stages of the RWC are highly unlikely 'touch wood'. Although that is why Burgess, a suitable backup for Genia, is needed in the squad and not Phipps as well. Also having Gits in the squad would also help with the problem as he can cover 9/10/12

W

wikman

Its in his body language and his attitude. Have you read the blurb of his biography. That is the perfect example of Rocky believing his own hype and being arrogant. Although I am hoping this does not happen although as it would be extremely bad for the Wallabies RWC chances.

H

H...

Yes. The chance of two halfbacks getting injured in the early stages of the RWC are highly unlikely 'touch wood'. Although that is why Burgess, a suitable backup for Genia, is needed in the squad and not Phipps as well. Also having Gits in the squad would also help with the problem as he can cover 9/10/12

The injuries would be independant events. You don't see teams only playing one halfback in the 22 just because one was injured last week and that it's therefore unlikely to happen again this week, that's just daft.

You don't go into a RWC match against anyone, nevermind Ireland, with no back up half on the bench.

W

wikman

Yes I agree. Although having 3 designated halfbacks is also daft. Gits is a perfect bench player for the Wallabies as he can cover all inside back position and halfback.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
The injuries would be independant events. You don't see teams only playing one halfback in the 22 just because one was injured last week and that it's therefore unlikely to happen again this week, that's just daft.

You don't go into a RWC match against anyone, nevermind Ireland, with no back up half on the bench.

Lets say, hypothetically, Genia or Burgess had to be replaced. IMO Giteau is a more preferable candidate than Phipps. He's played #9 for the Wallabies before, he brings 92 tests of experience and can cover #10 and #12 as well. If they couldn't be replaced (they were only out for one week) then Giteau's still better than Phipps.

Status
Not open for further replies.