• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why does every new idiot think that the rules are the issue and making the game more like unlimited tackle RL is of benefit?

And Rugby is a sports for all type of body, straight away, Im signing my Jed Halloway, Scott Fardy, Luke Jones type of second rowers, even Ned Hannagin to play the row, over the Rob Simmions, Sam Carter, etc second rowers.

When changing the rules, we shouldnt forget about why we like our Matt Dunnings and Rory Aronlds ..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have said before that at the end of the day, the best possible thing that could happen for us is for a "bastardised hybrid" to emerge.

Imagine a game that embraced the best players and the best rules, of the NRL and traditional rugby. That would be a domestic competition that could lead to something big.
In Australia.... Remember in Europe rugby is dominate over league..

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
And thinking out loud. If they wanted to broaden the appeal of Rugby in this country, extending the Mark rule to the whole field might be a concept of interest.

Perhaps that's the hybrid they should be pursuing.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And thinking out loud. If they wanted to broaden the appeal of Rugby in this country, extending the Mark rule to the whole field might be a concept of interest.

Perhaps that's the hybrid they should be pursuing.

I'd keep it to only within the 22m but it the ball is caught on the full then a free kick to the defending team on the spot of the kick. Would make the kicking play think twice about just lobbing it up there and hoping it comes off.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
In Australia.. Remember in Europe rugby is dominate over league..
Yep, there is nothing wrong with the game, it’s perception that’s the issue here in Australia. We need to try and change that.

Just watched the Rapid Rugby video, thought it was pretty good and I’m definitely interested but can we shelve the host immediately. It’s clear as daylight he knows nothing about rugby, was evident during the games this year and evident in this when he said Duane Van Muelen. Looking forward to some more announcements, good work WA.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pleased to hear Andrew Forrest give some comments on the blocking of the Western Sydney team but also the reasons why GRR is going to be run out of Hong Kong.

Although Forrest was full of praise for the efforts of Raelene Castle this wasn't spread across the rest of Rugby Australia.

On being based in Hong Kong: "We avoid all those stultifying, walking through honey of the politics of Rugby Australia......(we) needed to be fast-moving, rapid decision making and no bias".

The problems of Rugby in Australia in a nutshell.

GRR - Make It Happen.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pleased to hear Andrew Forrest give some comments on the blocking of the Western Sydney team but also the reasons why GRR is going to be run out of Hong Kong.

Although Forrest was full of praise for the efforts of Raelene Castle this wasn't spread across the rest of Rugby Australia.

On being based in Hong Kong: "We avoid all those stultifying, walking through honey of the politics of Rugby Australia..(we) needed to be fast-moving, rapid decision making and no bias".

The problems of Rugby in Australia in a nutshell.

GRR - Make It Happen.

hopefully this shuts a few people up against Castle and the politically charged, biased, egg shells she has to walk around every day.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The game's perception is fine. It's the losing that's the issue in Australia..

Round in circles we all go. The game is where it is now because of a lot of factors, as I have said many times, most of them are totally out of our hands. The popularity of the AFL and NRL (the latter in particular) might be to some extent because of our failures as a game to go pro 100 years ago, but whatever the reasons, they are the gorilla in our room. And they are not going away any time soon. They are big, they are rich, they are popular, and they are eating us alive.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So it seems the Fiji team will be the Drua plus some overseas based Fijians. That could be exciting.

Unfortunately the board level shenanigans continue over there and they've lost a couple of their key personnel in Chris Thompson and Brad Harris.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I’m still a tad worried about the popularity of this competition, such a huge announcement yesterday and only what, 4 pages on here of comments? You get more when a wallabies team is named. I’m hoping the hype ramps up otherwise it’s going to flop before it even starts

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The game's perception is fine. It's the losing that's the issue in Australia..

Trust me its not, im a born and bred QLD'er, half my friends think rugby is less skilled, not as tough, kick-a-thons than League. Its a psychological thing

If given the scenario that the Kangaroos had 3 months of to training to play the All Blacks, most would believe the Kangaroos would win fairly comfortably due to their superior toughness and skills

People are very uneducated on the differences in the two games and the similarities they do identify with genuinely believe Rugby League players are at a superior level in.

Winning would obviously help, it has an amazing ability to solve problems, but deep down inside the psyche of a large portion of our population believes it an inferior game played by inferior athletes, just like in Vic, WA, SA, Tas, etc. believe that AFL athletes are superior to 'Rugby' athletes

Its all a bit similar to how soccer battled perception issues until the last 10-15yrs

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Trust me its not, im a born and bred QLD'er, half my friends think rugby is less skilled, not as tough, kick-a-thons than League. Its a psychological thing

If given the scenario that the Kangaroos had 3 months of to training to play the All Blacks, most would believe the Kangaroos would win fairly comfortably due to their superior toughness and skills

People are very uneducated on the differences in the two games and the similarities they do identify with genuinely believe Rugby League players are at a superior level in.

Winning would obviously help, it has an amazing ability to solve problems, but deep down inside the psyche of a large portion of our population believes it an inferior game played by inferior athletes, just like in Vic, WA, SA, Tas, etc. believe that AFL athletes are superior to 'Rugby' athletes

Its all a bit similar to how soccer battled perception issues until the last 10-15yrs

Pretty much everything you have said here. Cannot tell you how many times I've heard that Rugby is not as tough as League (which it is at least if not more so) or as skillful (by nature of its differing parts it absolutely is) or players aren't as talented (most of the talented Rugby guys I've known have been fairly exceptional multi-sport athletes. More so than their League equivalents). Though, I will admit that it did give me no end of pleasure when I and other 'Rugby' players were selected for the A grade League teams over most of those who made those claims.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m still a tad worried about the popularity of this competition, such a huge announcement yesterday and only what, 4 pages on here of comments? You get more when a wallabies team is named. I’m hoping the hype ramps up otherwise it’s going to flop before it even starts

yeah I get it. I think what's needed is names. Not the inference of names.

When World Series Cricket started they announced names at the start. Big names like Lillee and Tony Grieg.

When the Rebel cricket tour was announced in the mid-80s they had recent Aussie captain Kim Hughes.

Even when the Force were first announced they made sure they had some big names - wasn't it Nathan Sharpe and Brendan Cannon?

I don't think GRR will get the legitimacy boost (other than in the west) until some big names are announced. And not Jeremy Thrush or Marcel Brache.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
yeah I get it. I think what's needed is names. Not the inference of names.

When World Series Cricket started they announced names at the start. Big names like Lillee and Tony Grieg.

When the Rebel cricket tour was announced in the mid-80s they had recent Aussie captain Kim Hughes.

Even when the Force were first announced they made sure they had some big names - wasn't it Nathan Sharpe and Brendan Cannon?

I don't think GRR will get the legitimacy boost (other than in the west) until some big names are announced. And not Jeremy Thrush or Marcel Brache.

Duane Van Muelen???? :p

Not sure if i heard right on the video but was there something mentioned about Malaysia and South African Rugby??

Wouldn't be surprised to see JOC (James O'Connor) turn his attentions to this comp, his contract is up at seasons end at Sale

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So it seems the Fiji team will be the Drua plus some overseas based Fijians. That could be exciting.

Unfortunately the board level shenanigans continue over there and they've lost a couple of their key personnel in Chris Thompson and Brad Harris.

Hmm.........the personnel issues aren't ideal but the Drua bolstered by overseas based talent certainly is very encouraging to read. If they can build on their NRC campaign they'll be contenders for sure.