• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Possible lineups for the Showcase Opener in two weeks ?!

The Honey Bachelor is back!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...or-global-rapid-rugby-showcase-ng-b881130248z

World XV.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oakman-Hunt landed a temporary contract for the Brumbies a year or two back, and also played for the Vikings in the NRC.........

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Cornelson was borderline on contracts and has been in Japan. Outstanding junior.

Dylan Riley is a 20 year old outside back who was very very highly rated in Queensland but received a big offer from a team in Japan and off he went too.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Digby Ioane's an up & coming winger through the Red's academy, I hear he's got a mean step on him. One to watch.

:)

Who the hell are all the aussies in the world team? Never heard of any of them besides Cummins

You need to first look at the coach because several play for him at the Wild Knights in Japan

Digby - used to be known
Cornelsen - his old man used to be known
Moloney - ex mex
Riley - unknown … ah, mighta played U20s ;)

TBF, all pretty decent players

These guys get paid to play. Options are generally better out of Australia

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
why is that a possible team? Have they named a squad?

A 23-man squad is at the bottom of Nick Taylor's linked piece in The West headlining the Badge, Reg.

I took the liberty of becoming Robbie's selector (what can I say, it's like 2013 all over again)!

Seems like Rocket Rod might not be available, though, now. So young gun Clay Uyen probably gets a start for the Force.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I thought they'd be involved this year. I know they've been looking further afield than Japan for a few seasons now and I think they offer an interesting brand for the competition.
Agreed. A helluva lot going on in Japan this year is what I think held back such a move.

Bigger priorities at the national level, and applecarts that needed to be kept level in the interim.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cornelson was borderline on contracts and has been in Japan. Outstanding junior.

Dylan Riley is a 20 year old outside back who was very very highly rated in Queensland but received a big offer from a team in Japan and off he went too.

Riley would be turning 22 by my reckoning

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure if this has done the rounds yet (I'm still on Perth time):

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...0RGmnQ2eXV02wqUvSm8uk_y2JLgZhpVzMidGWVmUY-_bw

The gist of it is that the promoter of the World XV squad is organising a Japan-based team for the inaugural season next year.

I wonder if japan thinks that GRR could be a better fit for Japaneses sides, the Sunwolves looked like toast only a couple of weeks ago, but a couple of wins and sanzaar all of a sudden growing a conscious

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Japan will do whatever the corporations that bankroll the sport decide, I assume.

And do you think that that's:
  • Reasonable?
  • A good thing?
  • A bad thing?
Seems reasonable to me as we're talking about a professional sport and the $$s have to come from somewhere.
The Australian model of the $$s being equitably (???) distributed by Rugby Australia certainly doesn't work.