• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Highlanders are running a little short on props, how's there scrum go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ Marty Banks (Tasman Makos, Hurricanes WTS & a handful of games off the bench) or Hayden Parker (30 games for Otago & 10 for the Clan). Banks probably the better player but Parker more experienced so Joseph may start Banks & hook him early if he doesn't start well or leave him out there until 50-60 min if he does OK.

In terms of props they're down to the bare 4 & I doubt they've had time to scout for a fill-in (or that there's too many options other than to grin & bear it). Depth was always gonna be their Achilles heel, I just didn't expect it to become an issue so early in the season.

B

Bobby Sands

^ Destruction derby by the sounds. Who can leave Dunedin without anymore injuries might be the real winner.

B

Bobby Sands

Really looking forward to watching McDuling. I like the way he goes about it, he is that physical grafting type of tight forward that the Reds always seem short of. He and Simmonds should make a very good locking combo this season and beyond.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reds

1. James Slipper (C)
2. Saia Fainga’a
3. Sam Talakai
4. Dave McDuling (Starting debut)
5. Marco Kotze
6. Adam Thomson
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia
10. James O’Connor (Reds debut)
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. Lachie Turner

16. James Hanson
17. Ben Daley
18. Sef Faagase
19. Tom Murday
20. Curtis Browning
21. Nick Frisby
22. Sam Johnson
23. Campbell Magnay

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the Reds will win this quite comfortably. Surprised the bookies have them +7.5 dogs. All the Aussie teams actually do well in Dunedin under the roof.

T

Tip

Reds v. Highlanders has been the match of the round for the past 4 -5 seasons. Both teams play very similar expansive and entertaining footy.

Fainga'a is the glue that holds the backline together. His in-ya-face defence will be critical in shutting down the opposition backline.

I also sincerely hope that Thompson makes Aaron Smith's day miserable.

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. Brendon Edmonds
2. Ash Dixon
3. Ross Geldenhuys
4. Tom Franklin
5. Mark Reddish
6. Elliot Dixon
7. John Hardie
8. Nasi Manu (co-Captain)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Marty Banks
11. Patrick Osborne
12. Jason Emery
13. Malakai Fekitoa
14. Waisake Naholo
15. Ben Smith (co-Captain)

Reserves
16. Liam Coltman
17. Josh Hohneck
18. Ma'afu Fia
19. Joe Wheeler
20. Dan Pryor
21. Fumiaki Tanaka
22. Hayden Parker
23. Kurt Baker

No Lima Sopoaga for "Family Reasons"

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That's a pretty sharp looking back line. But Nasi Manu is the only player from the forwards that scares me, big bruiser.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Clan seem to have gone all PC and named 2 Co-Captains. How does the Co-Captain thing work on the field?

Do they both lead their team onto the oval, holding hands as they do so?

Are both allowed to talk to the Referee, and does Sir have to call both forward when issuing a message/warning to the team, or a RC/YC?

Regardless of how skilled they may be in that position, and how fantastic they may be off the field, I've never been a fan of a 15 being the Captain (Co-Captain or normal Captain). Too far away from the action, and not involved in the nitty gritty enough.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If the Reds contain the Smiths and Fekitoa, I think they could grind out a win.

Definitely not the strongest Clan side, so we do have a chance of picking them off.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Good looking team for the reds, considering injuries. Really looking forward to this one. Despite the inexperienced second row, I think the Reds pack should have the wood on Clan pack. Need to step it up from last week though.

I could see both teams grabbing bonus points in this game. 5 points for the Reds would really set up the Reds' season nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.