• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How long will Quade get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
there is quite a bit of evidence that their is plenty of 'malicious acts' missed by the referees on the ground and go unpunished afterwards.

agreed there should be more suspended, so the system clearly needs improving, clearer rules, more consistency

but they got it right with Cooper's suspension, a week is fair for what was done.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I actually live on the border of Qld and NSW and I can confirm that all the banjos are to be found in Qld. But that's only because the music clubs are in Coolie not Tweed Heads.

I saw Boy and Bear at the Coolie recently. Ironically I am sure they do use banjos (although they are not from Qld).

W

What2040

Love banjo music and think my sister is beautiful - Qld is a wonderful place and upon death we will all sit on the right hand side of the Lord

I'm done on this thread

Reactions: TSR

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am not sure why we have got so many pages over a week suspension, I guarantee almost any contact sport you will get people whining that they don't think there is a level playing field re foul play. Hell I stopped buying papers here because I was so sick of seeing how hard Qld first and Aus secondly was done by refs/judicial boards/governing bodies in any sport, and not saying it doesn't happen in NZ. I actually agree with Brue, if you that bloody upset go and become a ref etc, and teach the up and comers how to ref etc properly. The one thing I have tended to find with rugby (only sport I really follow) is that most people doing the loudest yelling are people with very limited knowledge of laws of game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
there is quite a bit of evidence that their is plenty of 'malicious acts' missed by the referees on the ground and go unpunished afterwards.

That is the biggest issue - by and large it is still in each refs hands, and it is difficult for them to pick up everything while they referee a very complicated game.

It seems that only incidents that were picked up by refs are the ones that get cited. I think the white card is a good idea, however there no looks to be a big focus on white card incidences while others don't he the same scrutiny in review.

It may even be that sanzar just doesn't have the resources to review and process every incident, however there just doesn't appear to be enough reviewing of games to check for issues. The inconsistency of what gets picked up and what doesn't leads me to believe that games aren't reviewed on replay at all. This would be the simplest place to start - one reviewer from each country watches all games and if 2 out of 3 decide an incident should be cited, then it goes further.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Bru, you say that change needs to start from the ground up, but then cite the IRBs success with spear tackles which is very much top down.

In my experience, the sort of reform we're talking about here MUST be top down. The process we're discussing is an adjudication process, effectively a judicial one. Input from referees from Junior ranks is utterly irrelevant. It has to come from those that run the game. Clearly the current system is inadequate and yields massively inconsistent and unjust results. The first step is to acknowledge there is a problem. Then, and only then, can they take steps toward a solution.

The reason this thread has grown long is because the issue being addressed has gone beyond one incident. This thread isn't about Quade anymore, clearly.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Whenever I'm in Sydney everyone looks like an X-Factor contestant.

I do actually want to buy a banjo, and a ukelele, and cut 3 strings off my guitar like Seasick Steve.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am of the understanding that in addition the the referee recommending judicial review via the white card, every SANZAR games is reviewed by a Citing Commissioner for acts not picked up by the match officials, AND there is an opportunity for respective Team Management to lay a complaint for the Citing Commissioner to review. IIRC this is 48 hours after the match.

If I am correct (and there is no guarantee of that), then there are two other options for the Elstadt tackle (and any other acts by any other player) to come before the judiciary: a citing by the Citing Commissioner, or a citing from their opponents Team Management.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I do actually want to buy a banjo, and a ukelele, and cut 3 strings off my guitar like Seasick Steve.

I think the moderators would prefer that discussion on the relative merits of banjo playing were covered on the "Your Latest Musical Find" thread in the Everything Else Forum.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am of the understanding that in addition the the referee recommending judicial review via the white card, every SANZAR games is reviewed by a Citing Commissioner for acts not picked up by the match officials, AND there is an opportunity for respective Team Management to lay a complaint for the Citing Commissioner to review. IIRC this is 48 hours after the match.

If I am correct (and there is no guarantee of that), then there are two other options for the Elstadt tackle (and any other acts by any other player) to come before the judiciary: a citing by the Citing Commissioner, or a citing from their opponents Team Management.

You can't rely on other teams. That would definitely not be a consistent result.

As far as the citing commissioner reviewing each game - I find it hard to believe that they are doing this properly. Or if they are doing it, maybe they have some sort of limit per week (don't want to have too many hearings).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In general, teams will only make complaints about other teams for cases of really foul play such as eye gouging.

Teams are never going to make a complaint about a high tackle because most teams won't want to create a situation where every team is trying to get every other team's player suspended.

It also doesn't really benefit your team to have someone from the opposition suspended. It only benefits the teams that get to face that team whilst the player is suspended.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

Or get yourself some 2x4 timber,soup can,one string and a pick up and your have yourself a Diddley Bo. Cheaper.

D

daz

I have absolutely nothing to say, so I thought I would say it here.

This is the place where conversations go to die, isn't it?

Reactions: BPC

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dependedson what you want talk about, if it was about QC (Quade Cooper) that finished on page 2. If its dribble your atfter this is the right thread.

I think it's time for Barnes to call it quits, if that tackle sent him slightly concussed. He is on the right track for a early grave.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is not compulsary to read everything on these boards. If you have no further interest in a thread because you think it has died, then exercise your democratic right to not follow the thread anymore. Job done.

One of the attractions of gaggerland is that threads frequently meander around in and out of topic as the posters follow the "conversation".

I am sure that the Gaggerland Defence Force (aka Moderators) will close the thread when they feel that it is no longer useful.

Meanwhile feel free to wang on.

Regarding Barnes and his propensity for concussions, it must be an issue playing on his mind and those of his medical advisors. There is ample evidence that repeated concussions is not good. Elton Flatley and Steve Devine have both ended their playing careers earlier than usual on account of this.

W

Worldcupnut

The SA conspiracy part is bullshit. What I said was Elstadt did a dangerous tackle and the SA ref gave only a penalty, no yellow, no white. And I posted a youtube of said glaring tackle. Still no citation either.

It isn't a conspiracy accusation, its an ac cusatiin the ref was either incompetent orf afraid of being lynched later.

For those who didn't see the tackle

For Bruwheresmycar, I contacted SANZAR last year to express my dismay at Bryce Lawrence adjudicating the Red v Crusaders final. To his credit Lyndon Bray himself ( a Kiwi ) emailed back APOLOGISING and stating that more Aussie refs were due for this year. Excluding Walsh ( & I always do ) we have 2 OZ refs that officiated in a handful of games.

Surprise, Surprise....2 SAF refs for this weekend! Is the AR in SANZAR a code for being pusillanimous and sackless?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Can this thread go on any longer?

QRU Media Release: QRU considering appeal on Cooper decision

Queensland Rugby (QRU) advises it is seriously considering lodging an appeal against Monday’s SANZAR judicial ruling to suspend St.George Queensland Reds flyhalf Quade Cooper over a dangerous tackle charge.

Cooper was handed a one-match suspension following a four-and-a-half hour hearing via video conference under SANZAR Judicial Officer Paul Tully on Monday, which ruled the playmaker contravened Law 10.4 (e) Dangerous Tackling when he made contact with the chest and neck of Waratahs player Berrick Barnes.

Coach Ewen McKenzie and the Reds team have been instructed to focus solely on their preparations for Saturday night’s FxPro Super Rugby Qualifying Final against the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium while QRU Chairman Rod McCall, CEO Jim Carmichael and their legal representatives consider Monday night’s judgement.

McCall and Carmichael believe QRU presented a strong case with the necessary evidence during the video conference hearing to argue Cooper’s tackle did not reach the Red Card threshold and therefore did not warrant a suspension. McCall also believes that there may be a case for an appeal around the process of the hearing.

“We are obviously particularly sensitive to not disrupting the Reds team dynamics and preparation in launching an appeal at this late stage, however by not receiving the formal judgement until 8pm Tuesday after the decision was handed down on Monday evening, time is getting away from us in what was already a short preparation,” McCall said.

“Under the current SANZAR protocols if we were to launch an appeal we would lose at least a further day of preparation with Ewen and Quade who would both be required to fly to Sydney for another hearing. However we are cognisant of the need to support our player if we feel he has been treated harshly and in our opinion we still strongly believe the tackle did not warrant suspension.

“After taking the advice of legal representatives, the QRU first intends to discuss the matter further with SANZAR before making a decision whether to launch an appeal within the allowed 48-hour period.”

Tickets to the FxPro Super Rugby Qualifying Final between the Reds and Sharks went on sale through Ticketek at 9am today.

Tickets can be purchased here - http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Shows/show.aspx?sh=REDSSEMI12.

ENDS

Yep...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For this thread, an appeal by QRU would be just like yet another false crest on Heartbreak Hill in the annual City to Surf Run - plenty more to go.

BTW Do QRU still "own" the Reds or have they followed the NSW model of establishing the Reds as a seperate business entity in their own right with their own Board etc?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
agreed there should be more suspended, so the system clearly needs improving, clearer rules, more consistency

but they got it right with Cooper's suspension, a week is fair for what was done.

Just thinking about your analogy to speeding tickets. (At least I think it was yours).

It doesn't really work very well, because it in the rugby side we have video evidence of each offense, where as in the speeding side, we don't. The analogy would be if two people got caught by the same speeding camera, but for some reason one got off.

Status
Not open for further replies.