• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How long will Quade get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just thinking about your analogy to speeding tickets. (At least I think it was yours).

It doesn't really work very well, because it in the rugby side we have video evidence of each offense, where as in the speeding side, we don't. The analogy would be if two people got caught by the same speeding camera, but for some reason one got off.

Then that would be a NSW Labour Government MLC.

T

TOCC

Do teams have the opportunity to raise any offences following the game that may have been missed by the referee?

Some incidents are just part of the game, like pushing and shoving etc... but if a player is consistently taken out in back play, getting headlocks on the ground or other unsavoury acts then they should have the opportunity to raise this after the game... Say within 18 hours of the game been completed.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Do teams have the opportunity to raise any offences following the game that may have been missed by the referee?

Some incidents are just part of the game, like pushing and shoving etc. but if a player is consistently taken out in back play, getting headlocks on the ground or other unsavoury acts then they should have the opportunity to raise this after the game. Say within 18 hours of the game been completed.
I got this reply from SANZAR when I asked them to sight a player after a game-
Apologies for the late reply!

The protocols regarding such an incident - if missed by referees, media or the citing commissioner - is that the player and/or team involved has a 24 hour window after the match to lodge a formal complaint with SANZAR.

If such a complaint is received, it is investigated by the judicial officer.

I have checked and there were no complaints laid by the team or player.

I hope this answers your question.

And I trust you are enjoying the season so far!
[/QUOTE]

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dan,

Following a citing, Players need to be sighted by the board, that is why they either appear in person or by video link.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Foxing? or tilting at windmills?
Queensland Reds ponder appeal against Quade Cooper ban

by: Wayne Smith
July 19, 2012 12:00AM

IF there is a clue to whether an appeal against Quade Cooper's one-match Super Rugby suspension might succeed, the Queensland Reds are hoping it might be hidden somewhere in the official transcript of his judiciary hearing.

The Queensland Rugby Union announced yesterday it was seriously considering lodging an appeal against the suspension that will rule the brilliant playmaker out of Saturday's sudden-death qualifying final against the Sharks but by the end of the day still no decision had been made.

A tweet by Cooper last night that he was not appealing the ban was dismissed by the QRU which has the final say on any appeal. The union has 48 hours from the time it received the official judgment to challenge SANZAR judicial officer Paul Tully's decision and since that was not delivered until late on Tuesday, more than 24 hours after the five-hour hearing, the deadline for the appeal is 8 tonight.

In the meantime, Reds officials have requested the transcripts of Monday's hearings and intend to trawl through them. Given that an appeal would involve Cooper and head coach Ewen McKenzie flying to Sydney, the whole exercise is becoming more than a little quixotic.

That the Reds are even considering going to such disruptive lengths is a reflection of their belief that Cooper was unfairly and inconsistently punished for what even Tully conceded in his judgment started out as a tackle in which principal contact was with Berrick Barnes' chest.

What's more, the Reds believe at least two other tackles in last weekend's round - one by the Chiefs' Sonny Bill Williams, the other by the Sharks' Francois Steyn - were more dangerous.

They also believe NSW five-eighth Bernard Foley hit Reds winger Digby Ioane high but that nothing was done because Ioane jumped straight back to his feet. Barnes, by contrast, cut a worrying sight as he was assisted from the field by two Waratahs runners.

Not that McKenzie was buying into any of this yesterday. "I've moved on," he said. "I'm doing football stuff."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/queensland-reds-ponder-appeal-against-quade-cooper-ban/story-e6frg7o6-1226429428529

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Apparently Quade's tweets aren't officially sanctioned...

QRU Media Statement: SANZAR appeal

Further to yesterday’s press release and since Quade Cooper’s tweets, Queensland Rugby advises that it is awaiting receipt of the SANZAR transcript from Monday’s judicial hearing before deciding whether to appeal the decision to ban the player for one match.

QRU has until 8pm (AEST) Thursday to launch an appeal and exercises its right to fully examine the SANZAR judicial process and outcomes before determining its final position.

ENDS

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QRU are cutting it fine if they do not have the transcripts yet and only have until 8pm tonight to appeal.

The only ones likely to benefit from this are the legal community. Let it go. It must be a major distraction to the team and their preparation.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
And I thought players got 'cited' not sighted if they were to go before board.;)

You're right Dan, but maybe they get "sighted" if they are seen live or on TV, whereas they get "cited" if the offence was heard on the radio!!!

L

Linebacker_41

The issue with this system is that teams dont want to get into a tit-for-tat exchange when it comes to referals to the SANZAR for foul play. So unless it is close to grievous bodily harm (eye gouge, coat hanger high shot, or a bad lifting tackle) most team managers will let it go.

I have been fortunate enough to be in the tunnels when one team manager has been asked whether they have any citings (usual process by judicial liaison officer) to which the manager replied "do they (the opposition) have any? No, ok neither do we".

We are all after consistency but the process is far from consistent and the level of scrutiny applied should be such that it is not left to the team managers to refer these items. The Citing Commisioners need to give themselves an uppercut for being consistently inconsistent the whole year round.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
An interesting statement made by the unnamed SANZAR Official

"...The protocols regarding such an incident - if missed by referees, media or the citing commissioner - is that the player and/or team involved has a 24 hour window after the match to lodge a formal complaint with SANZAR...."

I am not sure that the media are included in the citing protocols as could be implied from the response above.

I reckon that the media involvement is limited to their ability to whip up public sentiment to such an extent that they "remind" the Citing Commissioner to review a certain aspect of the game, the result of which may result in a citing.

It does imply that if you have mates in the media who are prepared to back you, then a member of the public may indirectly cause a player to be cited, but it is a bit of a long shot.

Generally the TV production team will pick up the act in the first instance, and the producers will then get the message to their commentary parrots that they have an interesting replay for them to comment on. The level of howling from the parrots (yes that is you marto, kearns and cannon) is frequently related to bias of the commentators.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
QRU are cutting it fine if they do not have the transcripts yet and only have until 8pm tonight to appeal.

The only ones likely to benefit from this are the legal community. Let it go. It must be a major distraction to the team and their preparation.

Link's just playing mind games with the Sharks keeping them guessing on a gameplan while Reds focus on theirs in the background.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'd like to see the footage of Faainga's shoulder on TPN again. At the time I thought it looked quite bad and pretty dirty but it didn't raise a comment from the 'parrots'. From what I saw, it's hard to say what Saia was actually trying to do - the ball had gone and he didn't attempt to do anything at all with his arms or hands - it was all shoulder on a prone TPN.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just watched the whole thing again on youtube, and you know what the worst thing is about the whole event?

Greg Martin's commentary.......

I'm so glad I watch most games at the pub with the sound turned off.

And when you compare his comments on the similar tackle Vaea put on Digby last year

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I just watched the whole thing again on youtube, and you know what the worst thing is about the whole event?

Greg Martin's commentary...

I'm so glad I watch most games at the pub with the sound turned off.

And when you compare his comments on the similar tackle Vaea put on Digby last year

When will Fox Sports realise that to protect their integrity, they cannot allow Marto to commentate on Reds' games nor Kearns on Waratahs'? They actually seem half reasonable when commentating on any other games not involving those teams. Surely it is fairly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.