• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes v Reds Sat 23rd April

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is a gulf between the refereeing in both countries as well. At times NZ super rugby has looked like touch footy with no one going near the ruck allowing the other side to have very quick ball.

Do you think this is a manifestation of the way the kiwi sides have generally wanted to play over the last couple of years?

A lot of us associate them as ruck destroyers, Richie etc causing us grief. But I feel in recent years their sides have moved towards a more spread defensive line, focussing on turning the ball over through line speed and grinding down the opposition with repeated tackles, rather than playing an emphasis on the ruck.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Do you think this is a manifestation of the way the kiwi sides have generally wanted to play over the last couple of years?

A lot of us associate them as ruck destroyers, Richie etc causing us grief. But I feel in recent years their sides have moved towards a more spread defensive line, focussing on turning the ball over through line speed and grinding down the opposition with repeated tackles, rather than playing an emphasis on the ruck.
I'm not sure to tell the truth. I might also add our refs seem intent on stopping the game for every reason possible and the kiwi guys don't.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
That's a good point, we struggled with the kiwi refs last year. We got penalized a lot and then towards the end of the games we got blown away due to fitness - seemed to happen a lot.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it will be interesting to see if teams do have much trouble adapting to refs, I personally don't think refs from both countries ref pretty well the same. I go along with maybe a slight adjustment for players and refs to slightly different styles of play,but won't be enough to change score etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hurricanes v Queensland Reds, AAMI Park, Melbourne, kick-off 7:45pm:

1. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
  2. Richie Asiata – Easts
  3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
  5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
  6. Connor Vest – University of Queensland
  7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
  8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
  9. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland
  10. Lawson Creighton* – Brothers
  11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
  12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
  13. Hunter Paisami – Wests
  14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests
  15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
  16. Matt Faessler – Brothers
  17. Dane Zander – Norths
  18. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank
  19. Lopeti Faifua – Wests
  20. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
  21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland
  22. Josh Flook – Brothers
  23. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland

*denotes Queensland and Super Rugby starting debut

James O'Connor is out for a month with a knee injury.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
No JOC (James O'Connor) or Petaia. I was hoping LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Uru would be back too. FFS. Not off to a great start…

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yikes. Reds chances are certainly looking dimmer now. Horrendous timing leading up to the kiwi teams

Of all the chat throughout the season for 10 replacements if JOC (James O'Connor) went down, did anyone pick Creighton?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yikes. Reds chances are certainly looking dimmer now. Horrendous timing leading up to the kiwi teams

Of all the chat throughout the season for 10 replacements if JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) went down, did anyone pick Creighton?
Yeah, they've always seen him as a utility covering 10. Had thought we would have seen it earlier so we were better prepared for this eventuality.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, they've always seen him as a utility covering 10. Had thought we would have seen it earlier so we were better prepared for this eventuality.
He's been pretty solid throughout the season so far, so here's hoping that continues. A big opportunity to cement himself for the coming weeks and throw his hat in the ring for a post-JOC (James O'Connor) future. Any eyes on how he goes at 10?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Of all the chat throughout the season for 10 replacements if JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) went down, did anyone pick Creighton?
I think it did seem likely. They were trying to emulate the Hegarty utility from last year, fullback/playmaker role.

Causes the least disruptions as well to the backline.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
On another note, any solid info on the severity of Petaia's hammy? At the very least he's obviously tweaked it enough for them to play it safe

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Bugger. We were always in strife if JOC (James O'Connor) went down.

Personally would have had 10: Stewart 12: Henry or 10: Stewart 12: Paisami 13: Flook... Suspect this is what they will do if things aren't going well.

I thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was off the injured list?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Personally would have had 10: Stewart 12: Henry or 10: Stewart 12: Paisami 13: Flook... Suspect this is what they will do if things aren't going well.
Michael Atkinson mentioned on twitter that he thinks Henry is injured again

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) playing so many minutes has stung the Reds, not saying they could've predicted his injury but maybe wasn't the best prep not getting more minutes at 10 for someone else? It's deja vu.

Status
Not open for further replies.