• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I was interested to read Max Hicks background and see he nearly played AFL after been chosen in NZ rep teams. I didn't realise AFL had a presence in NZ. Looking at the NZ Aussie Rules Wiki page it reckons they have 30,000 registered players. I know Wiki has a propensity to bullshit, but really?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was interested to read Max Hicks background and see he nearly played AFL after been chosen in NZ rep teams. I didn't realise AFL had a presence in NZ. Looking at the NZ Aussie Rules Wiki page it reckons they have 30,000 registered players. I know Wiki has a propensity to bullshit, but really?
Hell's teeth, I would be almightily surprised if there is 3000 registered players YG, there no doubt a few clubs, but personally I have never seen or heard of any. But I think like NFL etc etc there will be someone playing it in the major cities. I guess like Aussie or anywhere if population big enough all sports get played there.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Hell's teeth, I would be almightily surprised if there is 3000 registered players YG, there no doubt a few clubs, but personally I have never seen or heard of any. But I think like NFL etc etc there will be someone playing it in the major cities. I guess like Aussie or anywhere if population big enough all sports get played there.

Yeah, that's interesting, really surprised me it was played there at all. Your reduced estimate of player numbers doesn't surprise me. I think your point about the population is probably right. Thanks for the response.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I played AFL in Christchurch when I was at uni. There were only 3 teams so you had a bye every second week! It was played out of season for Rugby, as a way for players to keep fit. I remember Jason Woodward (former Rebel) had played as well. Those numbers seem extremely unlikely to me.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know of precisely one (1) set of AFL posts in Auckland, down in that motorway adjacent park in Onehunga on the way to/from Mangere bridge. And idk if they're still up tbh. So yes. You can smash x to doubt those numbers.

The NFL would have a much greater following IMO. I've seen more people wearing some sort of NFL regalia this month (2) than I can ever recall seeing in AFL gear. But then I know sweet fa about the AFL, outside of the Melbourne team in black and white, so perhaps I'm just missing it. But think it's unlikely.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know of precisely one (1) set of AFL posts in Auckland, down in that motorway adjacent park in Onehunga on the way to/from Mangere bridge. And idk if they're still up tbh. So yes. You can smash x to doubt those numbers.

The NFL would have a much greater following IMO. I've seen more people wearing some sort of NFL regalia this month (2) than I can ever recall seeing in AFL gear. But then I know sweet fa about the AFL, outside of the Melbourne team in black and white, so perhaps I'm just missing it. But think it's unlikely.
Yep my Niece's hubby an Aussie boy and real AFL fan (can't remember his team), but I never heard of him talking of any local teams he knows of.
Same with Son-in-law who don't know if he ever folloed game, but once again never heard hm mention any teams. But as Rebel speaks of no doubt a few teams where player from other codes will have a run sometimes. I do genuinely think like you a lot more NFL would be about as there is quite a bit of support for the game in NZ, hear a few talk about their teams etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Beauden Barrett played AFL I believe.
I know he played Irish version of it. Gaelic football? When he was a kid and they lived in Ireland for a couple of years when Smiley tried a bit of farming over there.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
A busy morning

The team announced on Monday head coach Ian Foster and assistant coach John Plumtree had both tested positive for Covid-19 and were isolating at their homes.

Midfielders David Havili and Jack Goodhue have also tested positive, the All Blacks announced, and were also not with the team in Auckland.

Crusaders centre Braydon Ennor has joined the squad in Auckland as a replacement.

Maori Team named

Māori All Blacks (v Ireland):

15. Zarn Sullivan 14. Shaun Stevenson 13. Billy Proctor 12. Rameka Poihipi 11. Connor Garden-Bachop 10. Josh Ioane 9. Brad Weber (co-captain) 8. Cullen Grace 7. Billy Harmon 6. Cameron Suafoa 5. Isaia Walker-Leawere 4. Josh Dickson 3. Tyrel Lomax 2. Kurt Eklund 1. Ollie Norris
Replacements: 16. Tyrone Thompson 17. Tamaiti Williams 18. Jermaine Ainsley 19. Maanaki Selby-Rickit 20. TK Howden 21. TJ Perenara (co-captain) 22. Ruben Love 23. Bailyn Sullivan

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Braydon Ennor has joined the squad
pTnFr8j.gif

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
"...head coach Ian Foster and assistant coach John Plumtree had both tested positive for Covid-19 and were isolating at their homes."

So... Schimdt is part of the coaching team for this series right? Just let him run the show.

Further to this devastating loss of such high powered rugby coaching nous, it may be best for the All Blacks to train in conjunction with the Black Ferns, for reasons totally unrelated to the presence of an un-named former Auckland Blues coach and his professorial associate.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
So... Schimdt is part of the coaching team for this series right? Just let him run the show.
Not due in till after Irish series I think
Further to this devastating loss of such high powered rugby coaching nous, it may be best for the All Blacks to train in conjunction with the Black Ferns, for reasons totally unrelated to the presence of an un-named former Auckland Blues coach and his professorial associate.
1491173237934.jpg

"All I see are fat people....."
"Fat people as far as the eye can see....."

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Māori All Blacks (v Ireland):

15. Zarn Sullivan 14. Shaun Stevenson 13. Billy Proctor 12. Rameka Poihipi 11. Connor Garden-Bachop 10. Josh Ioane 9. Brad Weber (co-captain) 8. Cullen Grace 7. Billy Harmon 6. Cameron Suafoa 5. Isaia Walker-Leawere 4. Josh Dickson 3. Tyrel Lomax 2. Kurt Eklund 1. Ollie Norris
Replacements: 16. Tyrone Thompson 17. Tamaiti Williams 18. Jermaine Ainsley 19. Maanaki Selby-Rickit 20. TK Howden 21. TJ Perenara (co-captain) 22. Ruben Love 23. Bailyn Sullivan
Damn, hope I can scab a stream of this. Names look way more interesting than the sad old tenured & coachless AB side whose entire gameplan will be "run around a bit and pray Will Jordan can pull something out of his arse".

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brad Mooar fronted the media earlier this afternoon:

TLDW: everything is under control.

Edit: SamW, too:

TLDW: everything is under control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.