• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The reality is, that ISA will struggle as long as the lack of depth in the ISA is such, that they are selecting multiple players from Augs 2's.
That they are School 2's level, when their School is at full strength but trialled better than students from other schools 1's, speaks volumes for the depth of talent in the other Schools.
It shouldn't matter if a kid is from Augs 2's or 3's or from some ISA affiliate that does not even field a School side.
What matters is how they trial in comparison to the other players.

What matters is how they trial against the other players who are SENT... how is it that some of the stronger schools in this competition are sending only 4, 5 or 6 players and Augustines - well, how many did they send in order to get 16 or picked in the ISA side? there is something a bit off there - not to say its St. Augustine's fault per se - but there is something off...

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
What matters is how they trial against the other players who are SENT. how is it that some of the stronger schools in this competition are sending only 4, 5 or 6 players and Augustines - well, how many did they send in order to get 16 or picked in the ISA side? there is something a bit off there - not to say its St. Augustine's fault per se - but there is something off.

Hell West & Crooked,
Pats 45 - 12 Homebush
Homebush werent a very formidable opponent. Very tacky rugby and soft defense. 2 errors by Pats cost them fluke tries to Homebush
Pats were OK. a few dropped balls but overall good play

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
ISA 16 YRS SQUAD
Auggies.
B Dalton
E Faatui
J Hopoate
L Lough
W Macrae
J Nettleton
Pius
M Marcus
B James
T Rumore
Kinross
C Pratten
SCC
J Donato
D Maweln
J oxley
T Taekata
RFD
P Okosdlnossian
B Forrest
Oakhill
E Bostick
R Burke
Z Campton
R Chelvarajah
H Goddard
A graham,
J Kwok
L Robson
Two to be omitted at June 2 Training
the Pius boys are Pats boys...

pigprop

Peter Burge (5)
ISA 16 YRS SQUAD
Auggies.
B Dalton
E Faatui
J Hopoate
L Lough
W Macrae
J Nettleton
Pius
M Marcus
B James
T Rumore
Kinross
C Pratten
SCC
J Donato
D Maweln
J oxley
T Taekata
RFD
P Okosdlnossian
B Forrest
Oakhill
E Bostick
R Burke
Z Campton
R Chelvarajah
H Goddard
A graham,
J Kwok
L Robson
Two to be omitted at June 2 Training
Yeah mate The Pius boys are actually Pats and you are missing Fraser Toohey from Pius as Fullback, his name was in the paper

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Hell West & Crooked,
Pats 45 - 12 Homebush
Homebush werent a very formidable opponent. Very tacky rugby and soft defense. 2 errors by Pats cost them fluke tries to Homebush
Pats were OK. a few dropped balls but overall good play
Thanks for that - I appreciate it... someone wrote in one of the forums that Strathfield were missing a few of their more prominent players?

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Firstly, thanks Hugh for getting the team list and now the discussion begins. I am a tad perplexed about the inclusion of Div2 and 3 players, who week in and week out play in a softer competition, they obviously held there own at the trials to be included, but really as rugbydownsouth has pointed out, one would think there are better players playing week in week out in the first division comp?I'm sure that Pat's, Oakhill, Kinross and Stannies would of liked to have sent more to trial but the schools were told to only send players that would make it. i.e Oakhill got 4 in of the 6 they sent. Or do i have it wrong? Hopefully the spread of the Auggies boys will be across both teams. Congratulations to all the boys who made the squad and i look forward to seeing some competitive rugby from ISA at the NSWSRU trials.[/quot

A somewhat arrogant view Rugby Tragic! Clearly you haven't seen the selected boys in action! Some very good talent there, with many of them playing their best/toughest rugby in a different shere than their "softer school comp".

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Rugby Tragic
Aust schoolboys have had plenty of kids selected from isolated CHS schools, Victoria, WA who are not playing week in week out in "tough" Div 1 type competitions. Black from Chevalier is a recent ISA example. Resist the Rugby Arms Race.

The four Div 2 boys represent just shy of 10% of those selected. Hardly overrepresention.
Auggies with nearly 50% of the squad. Hmmm. They have a good programme and some very talented.

The Selectors can only select from those put forward. It is a fine line between all schools sending their 1st xv in a lottery of hope, and the Oakhill approach of sending those that they think have a good chance of representative honours.

ISA has a very wide net, once stretched as wide as it is there must be few holes. with the selection trials being held on one day at the Oxford falls facility(a location that is closer to home for Augies than possibly even PiusX ) on one day selectors have limited opportunity to see everyone especially some from the schools that cannot support their players as well. Reputations will be important.
maybe some examination of a two step trial where regional teams a sent to a central location I can think of five or six potential regions
Decentralising the perceived power base may help engage some that might otherwise be disenfranchised

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I find armchair experts that have little impact on reality are a bit like bad poets but I miss Pedro and his Really Big Ideas

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Chevalier 34 def. Redlands 19 in the Division 2 comp today. Anyone know any other results from Div 2 today?

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Pats really did not perform near their best today. It is a real concern that St Pats really haven't been able to string together some very strong performances against Pius, Homebush Boys and now Grammar. If Grammar had bit more power and strength in their forwards St Pats would've lost this game. If St Pats want to be competitive next week they will really need to up the anti mentally and physically if they want to come close to Oakhill. Although I don't know the score Oakhill are coming off a trial against Joey's, which will have them in better shape to St Pats performance today.

In essence St Pats need to play smarter and with more patience.

Does anyone have the scores for the other games today, particularly the Riverview V Auggies match??

stokes

Stan Wickham (3)
News from riverview:
2nd XV: Auggies 22-riverview 12.
1st XV: Riverview 32- Auggies 17
Riverview would probaly have won this one without the help of a rather bias ref, to much dropped ball from auggies against a riverview backline that looked a bit slicker.
Great game from riverview no.9 which makes nsw trials interesting with lussick and taefotu the other 2 I have seen this year playing very well (sure theres many others)
Lough who has probaly been auggies best player this year played well. Very impressed with Riverview pack who started very well but augustines forwards improved as the game went on, pick of forwards for auggies, were lough, walker the no. 4 and cook who I dont think missed a line-out today. Augustines need to cut out the periods of the game where they just seem to switch off, they showed against christchurch play the full 70 mins and there a very good side

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Riverview would probaly have won this one without the help of a rather bias ref, to much dropped ball from auggies against a riverview backline that looked a bit slicker.
Great game from riverview no.9 which makes nsw trials interesting with lussick and taefotu the other 2 I have seen this year playing very well (sure theres many others)
Lough who has probaly been auggies best player this year played well. Very impressed with Riverview pack who started very well but augustines forwards improved as the game went on, pick of forwards for auggies, were lough, walker the no. 4 and cook who I dont think missed a line-out today. Augustines need to cut out the periods of the game where they just seem to switch off, they showed against christchurch play the full 70 mins and there a very good side

How did the 16 goes as an eye to future of both school?

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
How did the 16 goes as an eye to future of both school?

There appear to be slightly different policies regarding promotion of 16s to opens competition
I could see several u 16 players in the second grade for 'View that had not played in U16. Where as St Augustine's policy is unless selected in 1st XV players that are U/16 play in their age. This is further complicated by ARU front row rules. (Given there are a couple of lads from last years ISA U/16 front row that played the presidents XV at Knox, I am sure there was more than one disappointed that they didn't get a chance to revisited what was seen a a particularly successful match.)

Having said that, The St Augustines team headed to the dressing room at 22-0 with about 5 minutes to go. in that time 'View managed to score two tries, one converted. Full time was blown after St Augustines returned to the field kicked a penalty goal to take it to 25-12. The St Augustine's forwards controlled the bulk of the game though two tries were long distance or at the end of long distance breaks.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
, The St Augustines team headed to the dressing room at 22-0 with about 5 minutes to go. in that time 'View managed to score two tries, one converted. Full time was blown after St Augustines returned to the field kicked a penalty goal to take it to 25-12. The St Augustine's forwards controlled the bulk of the game though two tries were long distance or at the end of long distance breaks.

Time keeper from Joeys? on lone or scholarship?

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Any word on how ,Kinross, Pius and Stannies haved faired in their respective trials? As ISA round 1 starts this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.