• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Magic 8 ball predictions for the weekend -

Royals V Easts @ Phillip

Royals looked good on the weekend with acouple of players out - I think after last weekend they will want to bounce back and Easts having 2 tough games in a row - it may be a long Saturday arvo at Phillip - Royals by 40+

Uni Norths V Whites @ ANU North

Uni Norths seem to be just there but not there this season - last time these 2 played it was a very close game - going down to basically the last second of the game - this weekend I hope to see Queanbeyan back at basically full-strength - again another close game but going to go - Whites by 8

Wests V Eagles @ Jamison

Eagles coming off the bye and Wests with another L under their belt for the season with no W's in insight I think they will FINALLY step up at their home ground and get a win - Wests by a sneaky 4

Vikings - BYE

Current Ladder -
Vikings - 31
Whites - 28
Royals - 22
Eagles - 22
Uni - 19
Easts - 12
Wests - 10

Full Ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

Not sure totally of the points system but with Tuggers having the BYE they should get 2 points making them 33 - so with a good win Whites could tie it up with them at the top of the table after this weekend.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Magic 8 ball predictions for the weekend -

Royals V Easts @ Phillip

Royals looked good on the weekend with acouple of players out - I think after last weekend they will want to bounce back and Easts having 2 tough games in a row - it may be a long Saturday arvo at Phillip - Royals by 40+

Uni Norths V Whites @ ANU North

Uni Norths seem to be just there but not there this season - last time these 2 played it was a very close game - going down to basically the last second of the game - this weekend I hope to see Queanbeyan back at basically full-strength - again another close game but going to go - Whites by 8

Wests V Eagles @ Jamison

Eagles coming off the bye and Wests with another L under their belt for the season with no W's in insight I think they will FINALLY step up at their home ground and get a win - Wests by a sneaky 4

Vikings - BYE

Current Ladder -
Vikings - 31
Whites - 28
Royals - 22
Eagles - 22
Uni - 19
Easts - 12
Wests - 10

Full Ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

Not sure totally of the points system but with Tuggers having the BYE they should get 2 points making them 33 - so with a good win Whites could tie it up with them at the top of the table after this weekend.

Think you'll find the bye earns a full 4 points.

The Blindsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yep Round 8 already.Thought it might be timely then, to revisit a thread that was running last year re; Colts who had a taste of 1st grade and looked to have some potential.

Trying to get some info on colts who played 1st grade this year and presumably may have a crack at the top grade next year. It could be argued of course, that the colts from Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals would walk into the top spot at the other clubs.​
Any additions.thoughts?​
1-Faaleli Sione R​
2-Connal McInerey T​
3-Tyrel Lomax T​
4-​
5-Callum Smith T​
6-Iosua Tonga T​
7- James Kazias T​
8- Paragali R​
9-​
10-J Jackson-Hope T​
11-Sam Ross R​
12-Keith Morgan Q​
13- Sam Giltrap T​
14-​
15-Jamie Kotz G​
Reserves;​
16- Suita Tai R​
17-​
18-​
19- Tyron Sullivan Q​
20-​
21-Harry Burry R​
22-​
Rugbylink only gives so much info in that it only records statistics from Wests, Gungahlin and Tuggeranong (???). So with this limited info and a poor memory, have attempted a 2016 progress list for lads now playing regular top grade.

1-
2- Connall McInerney (R)
3- Tyrell Lomax (T)
4-
5-Callum Smith (T)
6- Iosua Tonga (T)
7- James Kazias (T)
8-
9-
10-J Jackson-Hope (T)
11-
12- Keith Morgan (Q)
13- Harry Burry (R)
14-Jamie Kotz (G)
15-Sam Giltrap (T)

Be good to get some info from all the clubs, particularly Royals as the 2015 colts were Premiers

Royals:
10/15 - Harry Tyson
13 - Sam Ross
2 - Suita Tai

Easts:
7 - Nick Saunders
9 - Jacob Abel
10 - Jacob Angelatos

Wests:
8 - Brody Leber
7 - Angus Allen

All good colts that have played/playing 1st grade this year

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Royals:
10/15 - Harry Tyson

Easts:
9 - Jacob Abel

Wests:
7 - Angus Allen
All products of the Riverina/MIA (SIRU), although Jacob Abel (Griffith Blacks with Robbie and AJ) was young when he was out this way, Angus Allen via Leeton Phantoms and Harry Tyson via Wagga Juniors.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Royals:

10/15 - Harry Tyson

13 - Sam Ross

2 - Suita Tai

Easts:

7 - Nick Saunders

9 - Jacob Abel

10 - Jacob Angelatos

Wests:

8 - Brody Leber

7 - Angus Allen

All good colts that have played/playing 1st grade this year

Yep Round 8 already.Thought it might be timely then, to revisit a thread that was running last year re; Colts who had a taste of 1st grade and looked to have some potential.

Trying to get some info on colts who played 1st grade this year and presumably may have a crack at the top grade next year. It could be argued of course, that the colts from Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals would walk into the top spot at the other clubs.​
Any additions.thoughts?​
1-Faaleli Sione R​
2-Connal McInerey T​
3-Tyrel Lomax T​
4-​
5-Callum Smith T​
6-Iosua Tonga T​
7- James Kazias T​
8- Paragali R​
9-​
10-J Jackson-Hope T​
11-​
12-Keith Morgan Q​
13- Sam Giltrap T​
14-​
15-Jamie Kotz G​
Reserves;​
16- Suita Tai R​
17-​
18-​
19- Tyron Sullivan Q​
20-​
21-Harry Burry R​
22-​
Rugbylink only gives so much info in that it only records statistics from Wests, Gungahlin and Tuggeranong (???). So with this limited info and a poor memory, have attempted a 2016 progress list for lads now playing regular top grade.

1-
2- Connall McInerney (R)
3- Tyrell Lomax (T)
4-
5-Callum Smith (T)
6- Iosua Tonga (T)
7- James Kazias (T)
8- Brody Leber (W)
9- Jacob Able (E)
10-J Jackson-Hope (T)
11- Sam Ross (R)
12- Keith Morgan (Q)
13- Harry Burry (R)
14-Jamie Kotz (G)
15-Sam Giltrap (T)

Reserves:

16- Suita Tai (R)
17-
18- Angus Allen (W)
19-
20-Harry Tyson (R)
21-Jacob Angelatos (E)
22-

Be good to get some info from all the clubs, particularly Royals as the 2015 colts were Premiers

Ok...Hows this looking?
Any whites or Uni Boys?
Whilst my intention was to see the progress of last years colts, its good to see more young blokes step up.
Always good to see young players have a go and given the opportunity as I'm a believer in the "good enough, old enough" adage.
However, with the amount of colts running around in the top grade, is it a reflection of the standard of players or the competition???

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Any additions.thoughts?​
1-Faaleli Sione R​
2-Connal McInerey T​
3-Tyrel Lomax T​
4-​
5-Callum Smith T​
6-Iosua Tonga T​
7- James Kazias T​
8- Paragali R​
9-​
10-J Jackson-Hope T​
11-​
12-Keith Morgan Q​
13- Sam Giltrap T​
14-​
15-Jamie Kotz G​
Reserves;​
16- Suita Tai R​
17-​
18-​
19- Tyron Sullivan Q​
20-​
21-Harry Burry R​
22-​

1-
2- Connall McInerney (R)
3- Tyrell Lomax (T)
4-
5-Callum Smith (T)
6- Iosua Tonga (T)
7- James Kazias (T)
8- Brody Leber (W)
9- Jacob Able (E)
10-J Jackson-Hope (T)
11- Sam Ross (R)
12- Keith Morgan (Q)
13- Harry Burry (R)
14-Jamie Kotz (G)
15-Sam Giltrap (T)

Reserves:

16- Suita Tai (R)
17-
18- Angus Allen (W)
19-
20-Harry Tyson (R)
21-Jacob Angelatos (E)
22-

Ok.Hows this looking?
Any whites or Uni Boys?
Whilst my intention was to see the progress of last years colts, its good to see more young blokes step up.
Always good to see young players have a go and given the opportunity as I'm a believer in the "good enough, old enough" adage.
However, with the amount of colts running around in the top grade, is it a reflection of the standard of players or the competition???

Looking at those names/players - I believe they could be playing 1st grade/2nd grade in any of the top comps in Aus - Shute Shield/QLD - some of these guys will more than likely be in the Canberra side/squad this year also -

Connall McInerney

Tyrell Lomax
J Jackson-Hope

Possibly -
Sam GiltrapJamie Kotz
Suita Tai (Possibly more on a development side of things than current form)

Too name a few. . .

Even JR if he can push back into the Whites 1st Grade spot I believe is one of the best centres in the comp when in form.

I honestly believe this year across the board there is some of the better depth in the comp than the last few years - and you can see that on the field week in week out with closer scores, harder games, and normal 1st graders in some clubs finding it hard to sneak in to the 1st XV.

Will be very interesting to see what the Canberra side looks like this year - of course you'll have the core group of Brumbies there/brumbies contract JID players - but there will be some new JID faces in the squad for sure.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)

Any additions.thoughts?​
1-Faaleli Sione R​
2-Connal McInerey T​
3-Tyrel Lomax T​
4-​
5-Callum Smith T​
6-Iosua Tonga T​
7- James Kazias T​
8- Paragali R​
9-​
10-J Jackson-Hope T​
11-Sam Ross R​
12-Keith Morgan Q​
13- Sam Giltrap T​
14-​
15-Jamie Kotz G​
Reserves;​
16- Suita Tai R​
17-​
18-​
19- Tyron Sullivan Q​
20-​
21-Harry Burry R​
22-​

1-
2- Connall McInerney (R)
3- Tyrell Lomax (T)
4-
5-Callum Smith (T)
6- Iosua Tonga (T)
7- James Kazias (T)
8-
9-
10-J Jackson-Hope (T)
11-
12- Keith Morgan (Q)
13- Harry Burry (R)
14-Jamie Kotz (G)
15-Sam Giltrap (T)

1-Faaleli Sione R is still there, just away with the Aus U20s at present

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
The Owls have Cuan Hablutzel at hooker who has played first grade for the previous three seasons, UC Vikings training squad in 2014 and 2015, was a member of the ACT U20's last year and played for the Griffins last year as well. IMO one of the best hookers in the comp.

The two first grade props Leli Fa and Max Bode were Colts last year, Bode training with the ACT 20's until the final cut and Fa playing for the ACT U20's and then the Fiji U20's at the Australian Championships at Viking Park.

Wests not only have Leber and Allen but Loosehead prop Harry Lloyd who has shown himself to be one of the best props in the competition. The Wests scrum has been completely dminant all year and Lloyd is a big part of that. He played for the ACT U20's last year as well as the Griffins.

Callum Richardson who was in the ACT U20's last year has also played 1st grade this year, a very talented player.

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
PREDICTIONS

Royals v Easts

Only 7 points separated the two teams last time they played but I expect Royals to win more comfortably this time around. They should be far too strong for Easts. Royals by 15

Owls v Whites

Both sides should be much stronger then the last time they met, a number of players returning from injury. I expect Queanbeyan will be too good, but not by much. Queanbeyan by 9

Wests vs Gungahlin

Wests are struggling at the bottom of the ladder and I don't expect that change this weekend. Gungahlin will be fresh off the bye and have too much class, particularly in the backs, for the Lions. Gungahlin by 14

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Owls have Cuan Hablutzel at hooker who has played first grade for the previous three seasons, UC Vikings training squad in 2014 and 2015, was a member of the ACT U20's last year and played for the Griffins last year as well. IMO one of the best hookers in the comp.

The two first grade props Leli Fa and Max Bode were Colts last year, Bode training with the ACT 20's until the final cut and Fa playing for the ACT U20's and then the Fiji U20's at the Australian Championships at Viking Park.

Wests not only have Leber and Allen but Loosehead prop Harry Lloyd who has shown himself to be one of the best props in the competition. The Wests scrum has been completely dminant all year and Lloyd is a big part of that. He played for the ACT U20's last year as well as the Griffins.

Callum Richardson who was in the ACT U20's last year has also played 1st grade this year, a very talented player.

Wooh...wasn't aware that there are so many good young players in John Dent. I light heartedly wrote last year that we could possibly have a stand-alone u-20 team play in the 1st grade comp. The more I hear of the quantity and calibre of young ACT players, it aint such a bad idea. Particularly now with a serious national u-20 comp, many of the players would stay in the team for 2-3 years before filtering back to their club sides with other players then taking their place. It would also even out the colts comp with fewer players presumably coming from the weaker sides, there would no longer be the big scoreline blowouts.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Will keep an eye out for Cuan Hablutzel this weekend - heard good things - didn't notice him too much last game but will see how he goes.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wooh.wasn't aware that there are so many good young players in John Dent. I light heartedly wrote last year that we could possibly have a stand-alone u-20 team play in the 1st grade comp. The more I hear of the quantity and calibre of young ACT players, it aint such a bad idea. Particularly now with a serious national u-20 comp, many of the players would stay in the team for 2-3 years before filtering back to their club sides with other players then taking their place. It would also even out the colts comp with fewer players presumably coming from the weaker sides, there would no longer be the big scoreline blowouts.

Plenty of good young players running around this year - to be honest nearly too many for all of them to get a good run in 1st grade. I know due to it being an "unprofessional" - comp this would never happen but it would be good to see not so much an u20's side being put in place but these young guys who are possibly part of the Brumbies/U20's ACT side being allocated to the weaker sides i.e Easts - there are more than enough u20's guys running around in colts, 2nd grade that could make the step up and be allocated to a side as 1. a development tool to get them playing 1st grade every week and 2. help the weaker sides out that are struggling for numbers and wins. Also that will leave more room in the Colts sides and 2nd grade etc sides for other players to step up - so in the stronger clubs such as Vikings and Whites for example - instead of a Colts player playing 4th grade every week they will have the opportunity to be in the Colts 1st XV week in - week out adding to further development/better players.

I don't believe a full-blown u20's side would work - unless again they are allocated (forced) to play haha - and then saying that what about the 2nd/3rd/4th/colts sides that would need to be aligned with a 1st grade side - for a 1st grade side to play in the John I Dent I believe they at least need - 2nd Grade/Colts and possibly even 3rd grade - I think last year Easts were let off with not having a Colts side play.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I know this is crazy out of the box - but even a draft system of players coming out of Schoolboy 1st XV would be cool!

Again it will never happen haha. . .

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I know this is crazy out of the box - but even a draft system of players coming out of Schoolboy 1st XV would be cool!

Again it will never happen haha.

Agree with many of your points No8, but stranger things have happened...who would have thought a few years back, we would have Div1 teams playing lower grade in John Dent.
Think allocating young players to clubs is awkward considering many may have come up through the age groups at their respective clubs, have their mates there etc. Playing under the Brumbies banner and with their resources etc would be a prime motivator. Imagine how good the team would be in terms of playing the national u-20 comp after playing a full season in 1st grade. You would have to believe that in time many more lads would attain Aust u-20 selection thru that system. Watching Jackson-Hope last year for example...He was always a fine footballer but not always a standout. Now after being totally immersed in the Brumbies is well on his way.
By having a full-blown 20s side , would also be an added incentive for young blokes to play at lower placed clubs as it then becomes a season long selection process based on form, consistency etc not where you are basically chosen after 1 trial at the start of the year. But as you say....it will never happen

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree with many of your points No8, but stranger things have happened.who would have thought a few years back, we would have Div1 teams playing lower grade in John Dent.
Think allocating young players to clubs is awkward considering many may have come up through the age groups at their respective clubs, have their mates there etc. Playing under the Brumbies banner and with their resources etc would be a prime motivator. Imagine how good the team would be in terms of playing the national u-20 comp after playing a full season in 1st grade. You would have to believe that in time many more lads would attain Aust u-20 selection thru that system. Watching Jackson-Hope last year for example.He was always a fine footballer but not always a standout. Now after being totally immersed in the Brumbies is well on his way.
By having a full-blown 20s side , would also be an added incentive for young blokes to play at lower placed clubs as it then becomes a season long selection process based on form, consistency etc not where you are basically chosen after 1 trial at the start of the year. But as you say..it will never happen

Yep agree with some of your points aswell mate! - the u20's players/comp looks healthier than I thought it would this year - of course overall in Aus there has been a drop in Rugby Union player numbers and that of course feeds through to Canberra - add to that School's such as Marist (who were one of the better Rugby Schools in Aus) has more students playing AFL/Soccer now - its good to see this young stock of talent still flowing through - and I hope it stays like this.

Having a closer connection - clearer pathway from Schoolboys to Club to Super Rugby is the key at the moment and a key to keeping these young guys in the game and such things as the u20's comp and NRC are doing that - so anything to strengthen that I am all for!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 8 Stampede -
http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.ne...n-I-Dent-Cup-Stampede-Round-8-2016.pdf?645be1

Considering the Brumbies BYE this weekend I think just quickly looking over the Teams there are less Brumbies than normal - i.e Abel out for Easts, Wells out for Whites etc - Staniforth is in for Royals though.

They are possibly taking the BYE week to do some extra recovery etc maybe. . .

Will be interesting to see how many come back during the June Test period. . . that could possibly shake the comp up abit depending on Wallabies selection.

As mentioned above Wells is out of the Whites side this week - with the Back row of 6. Noa 7. Penca and 8. T.G Darmody - the last few weeks when Penca has come on in 2nd's/1sts he has made a big impact so will be good to hopefully see him play for more than 20-30 minutes.

As all weeks though you can never trust the trusty stampede - could be totally different sides that run out on Saturday. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.