• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2018 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I think you're correct - that means fixtures for week one of finals are locked? I wonder if there will be much resting of players or stacking of lower grades going on this weekend?

Week 1 finals

Uni a big chance to roll Qbn
Vikings narrowly over Royals

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Top 4 sides confirmed. There might be movement between 3 and 4, but it makes no difference in the finals projections (one of the main reasons I dislike our finals system). Even if the Eagles destroy Uni, and Easts win with a BP over Vikings, then Uni get through on number of wins.

This weekend, I expect Easts to pull off a tight win against Vikings, Uni to win comfortably (but not by a large margin), and Royals to beat Wests with ease.

Come finals, Uni will eat Whites for breakfast, Royals to pull it off against Vikings. Uni to beat Vikings again in the prelim, and then the final comes down to whether or not Royals show up on the day.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you're correct - that means fixtures for week one of finals are locked? I wonder if there will be much resting of players or stacking of lower grades going on this weekend?

Week 1 finals

Uni a big chance to roll Qbn
Vikings narrowly over Royals

The ladder hasn't been updated but based on the scores from the weekend and my quick calculations QBN (44 points), are 1 point ahead of Dara (43 points) If dara wins with a bonus point this weekend (against Uni-Norths) they would go through on point difference (if that's how it works). QBN are currently -49 while dara are -39.

Massive final round!

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Top 4 sides confirmed. There might be movement between 3 and 4, but it makes no difference in the finals projections (one of the main reasons I dislike our finals system). Even if the Eagles destroy Uni, and Easts win with a BP over Vikings, then Uni get through on number of wins.

This weekend, I expect Easts to pull off a tight win against Vikings, Uni to win comfortably (but not by a large margin), and Royals to beat Wests with ease.

Come finals, Uni will eat Whites for breakfast, Royals to pull it off against Vikings. Uni to beat Vikings again in the prelim, and then the final comes down to whether or not Royals show up on the day.

So it's purely based on wins? If Dara wins this week then Dara and QBN both finish on 6 wins. What happens then?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So it's purely based on wins? If Dara wins this week then Dara and QBN both finish on 6 wins. What happens then?

It's decided on competition points first. If a tie breaker is needed (eg. Easts win with a BP, Uni lose by more than 7, therefore both teams finish on 45pts), it then falls to:
  1. Number of wins,
  2. Point difference,
  3. Points scored,
  4. Tries scored.
In some order after that, it's:
  • Tries scored minus conceded,
  • Head-to-Head record between tied teams (which then follows the above tie breakers if neccesary),
  • Yellow cards,
  • Red cards,
  • Coin toss.
Whites will finish on 46 points, while Easts can reach a maximum of 45 points; tie-breakers don't come into it.
Easts can finish on a maximum of 5 wins, while Uni will finish with at least 6 wins, so Easts would lose at the first tie-breaker.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Updated ladder
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 8.06.58 pm.png

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Not a chance in this world or the next. I've got uni getting the spoon in 2018 having lost a lot more players then they've gained with Easts picking up a few good players to strengthen depth. Not to mention their new coaching set up. Vikings would have to be favourites picking up Angus Allen from Wests!
You must be feeling like a right goose at the moment with the Owls having made the finals and in their last encounter defeated Royals....

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Be going back a few years to find a final series that didn't include the Qbn lads. No doubt they will be cheering hard for uni.

Uni essentially get to choose who they play in week 1 of finals. I wonder who they feel they match up better against? Tank it this weekend and give it to Darra week 1 of finals. Or go hard against Darra this week and have to back up against a solid Qbn outfit? Hmmm

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Uni essentially get to choose who they play in week 1 of finals. I wonder who they feel they match up better against? Tank it this weekend and give it to Darra week 1 of finals. Or go hard against Darra this week and have to back up against a solid Qbn outfit? Hmmm
Risky play, winning is an easy habit to break and a hard habit to build... ask the Wallabies

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Risky play, winning is an easy habit to break and a hard habit to build. ask the Wallabies

Yeah I doubt they would do it, but if you did go down that path I suggest you run out your fourth grade team to ensure Darra get the big win and your first are all rested with none of them exposed to the bad habits of losing. You'd also offer your fourths some form of alcohol related compensation for any player that manages to knobble a Darra player keeping them out of W1 of finals.

That's such bad sportsmanship I can't believe I even thought it....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Did Darra pull off the miracle win?

Yes - currently 40-0 to Eagles currently

Congrats to Eagles for making the 4 - Queanbeyan have been up and down all year but have had more downs than ups - I think the injury to Will Goddard early in the season really impacted them - with him fit and in form they would of been a top 2 or 3 side - no disrepact to Tarrant he did a solid job but isn't the best at directing the side. I also wasn't a fan this season with Queanbeyan chopping and changing of players so much.

I hate to say it on the other side of things re: Eagles and the inclusion of Hawera - I don't believe without him they would of made it - the last two weeks with him in charge they looked like a total different unit and put some big scores on. Sad to see that possibly with Brumbies inclusion's it's changed the direction of an awesome season for the comp.

I am tipping Eagles to make the final with Hawera in charge.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have to say, this is one of the toughest seasons I can remember. In terms of quality on field, you'd think the top 4 would be Vikings-Royals-Uni-Easts, but it could easily have been Vikings-Royals-Uni-Whites. Whites will rue their terrible goalkicking against Royals back in May; make even one of their four conversions or three penalty attempts, and they make the finals. Instead, they finished the day 0/7 in kicking and miss the finals. Easts missed some wins through poor discipline, and finals footy was really within their reach; they'll be up for it next year. Eagles are a mixed bag, but Hawera has made the world of difference there.

Anyway, I stand by my earlier post:
Come finals, Uni will eat Whites Eagles for breakfast, Royals to pull it off against Vikings. Uni to beat Vikings again in the prelim, and then the final comes down to whether or not Royals show up on the day.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I have to ask, any suggestion Unis ran lame? Were players rested or combinations changed? If that was Uni giving it their best, you'd have to put them at long odds to get up next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.