• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Brumbies match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies have announced an unchanged starting lineup for the Rebels match.

15. Pat McCabe, 14. Henry Speight, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12. Robbie Coleman, 11. Francis Fainifo, 10. Matt Giteau (c), 9. Josh Valentine, 8. Ita Vaea, 7. Julian Salvi, 6. Mitchell Chapman, 5. Mark Chisholm, 4. Ben Hand, 3. Dan Palmer, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Ben Alexander

Dan Palmer has recovered from a hip injury and Josh Valentine had a scratched cornea during the match.

At this stage Stephen Hoiles is in doubt after pulling up sore in his achilles after the Chiefs match. Peter Kimlin will replace him on the bench if Hoiles is ruled out

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Brumbies have announced an unchanged starting lineup for the Rebels match.

15. Pat McCabe, 14. Henry Speight, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12. Robbie Coleman, 11. Francis Fainifo, 10. Matt Giteau (c), 9. Josh Valentine, 8. Ita Vaea, 7. Julian Salvi, 6. Mitchell Chapman, 5. Mark Chisholm, 4. Ben Hand, 3. Dan Palmer, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Ben Alexander

Dan Palmer has recovered from a hip injury and Josh Valentine had a scratched cornea during the match.

At this stage Stephen Hoiles is in doubt after pulling up sore in his achilles after the Chiefs match. Peter Kimlin will replace him on the bench if Hoiles is ruled out

Glad Kimlin is on the way back. He's a top class operator when fit.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Be very interested to see the team Macqueen announces, particularly who will play at 12.

So wait?? Is Vuna injured? He certainly looked like he'd done an AC but there was only news of Hoani and Hilgendorf being hurt post game.

Changes we could/will see to the Rebels team:
  • Macqueen has always been a fan of front rower rotation, keeps the gentlemen who aren't as fit fresh. Anything could happen here but I would be surprised if we didn't have the same 3 in the 22.
  • Neither starting lock played as well as Campbell who found work to do in a beaten side. Perhaps O'Neil should be the one to move to the bench in the interest of keeping a balanced locking pair.
  • We'll see a different 6 due to injury. Saffy neither played particularly well or badly against the Tahs but Chamberlain, Davidson and Jones all played well for the Rebels A and all 3 are the extra line-out option I would have guessed Macqueen was looking for in Donald. Anything could happen here.
  • Cordingley and Phipps need to be swapped, I see the merit of experience in the 9 but it's as good late in the game as it is at the start of it. Phipps outplayed Cordingley even though the pack was going worse when he was on.
  • Obviously Cipps will start for Hilgendorf due to injury, the effort from Cipps was there against the Tahs but it looked like a new combination that perhaps wasn't as practised as it should have been that week (he was after all a bench man). He will be more silky with a week to spent in the 10 jersey at training.
  • I could see an outside back being changed as other then Hux's work under the high ball the Rebs back 3 were horrible. To me Rooney was annonomous and Mitchell looked extremely hard for work but found little of any effect. I'd like to see du Plessis or Taumoepeau start for Rooney.
  • The bench, bar changes to the XV for injuries, should stay relatively the same other then perhaps a spot for Kingi who would be injury cover for 10 and 15 (with depth there low).

Anyway, that's my two sense. Expect to see the Rebels fired up and putting in a compeditive performance on the park and on the scoreboard but their passion should likely be trumpt by the Brumbie's experiance.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Oh btw my 22 would be:

1. Somerville
2. Robinson (wtf is up with Frier?)
3. Weeks
4. Byrnes
5. Campbell
6. Davidson
7. Lipman
8. Delve
9. Phipps
10. Cipps
11. du Plessis
12. Vuna
13. Mortlock
14. Mitchel
15. Huxley

16. Tessman
17. Henderson
18. O'Neil
19. Saffy
20. Cordinley
21. Taumoepeau
22. Kingi

People switched between starting/bench
People brought into the 22

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I initially thought that Vuna had a stinger. We'll have to wait and see what they say.

I wouldn't be making many changes to the last Rebels lineup, if possible. The last thing you should do to a side trying to get combinations (in attack and defence) and some fluidity is chop and change.

BTW, I was not shocked with the Rebels' game plan. It was straight out of the Macqueen play book of 10 years ago. The game has moved on in the past 10 years, and I think Macqueen has to catch up a bit.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
When is Gerrard fit to play? Huxley seems to be going pretty good at fullback so I would stick Gerrard on one wing to provide some depth in kicking and counter attack options.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow.

I honestly wasn't expecting an unchanged lineup from the Brumbies.

I'm impressed with Friend.

Maybe Finegan and Young were the problem?

R

Richard D. James

I would love to see Kingi start. The Rebels need that 9/10 playmaking combo and Kingi offers a strong running threat and the ability to play an up-tempo game. Something Cords can't do.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I would love to see Kingi start. The Rebels need that 9/10 playmaking combo and Kingi offers a strong running threat and the ability to play an up-tempo game. Something Cords can't do.

This. Many times this. Don't understand why you'd start Phipps over Kingi either, he's just isn't in the same class.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Oh btw my 22 would be:

1. Somerville
2. Robinson (wtf is up with Frier?)
3. Weeks
4. Byrnes
5. Campbell
6. Davidson
7. Lipman
8. Delve
9. Phipps
10. Cipps
11. du Plessis
12. Vuna
13. Mortlock
14. Mitchel
15. Huxley

16. Tessman
17. Henderson
18. O'Neil
19. Saffy
20. Cordinley
21. Taumoepeau
22. Kingi

People switched between starting/bench
People brought into the 22

Somerville was obviously more comfortable and effective at THP against the Tahs. I would expect he could milk penalty after penalty from Alexander if he plays there. Alexander's set technique remains flawed IMO as he is head below hips prior to the engage. Henderson did OK at loosehead and I would persist with him. Weeks went backwards a long way in my assessment from what I thought of him last year. I would hope it was just an aberration on his part.

Agree Cordingly has to go. He was just way to slow to the breakdown, but I would go with Kingi to start.

If Gerrard is fit he should start in front of Huxley who drops to the bench as 10 cover. Huxley is a liability at 15, he offers very limited counter attack and with the possibility of a rookie 12 and a slowing Mortlock his inability to return the ball effectively in any way bar the boot is an open invitation to the Reds.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Wow.

I honestly wasn't expecting an unchanged lineup from the Brumbies.

I'm impressed with Friend.

Maybe Finegan and Young were the problem?

From most accounts this is true. They both tried to friends more then coaches with the players

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
My starting XV, assuming Vuna only got a stinger, would be:

1. Henderson
2. Robinson
3. Somerville
4. Byrnes
5. Campbell
6. Saffy
7. Lipman
8. Delve
9. Kingi
10. Cips
11. du Plessis
12. Vuna
13. Mortlock
14. Betham
15. Huxley

Really don't rate Mitchell at all, I'd have Gerrard starting on the wing over Betham if he's available though.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For the Brumbies, it's confirmed that Hoiles will miss this weeks game. Peter Kimlin will take his spot on the bench.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's good to see that Palmer is fit to play as it didn't look good. It was supposed to be a groin injury and they can be long lasting.

If Gerrard is fit he should start in front of Huxley who drops to the bench as 10 cover. Huxley is a liability at 15, he offers very limited counter attack and with the possibility of a rookie 12 and a slowing Mortlock his inability to return the ball effectively in any way bar the boot is an open invitation to the Reds.

At least Huxley has a bit of speed. Gerrard has got slower by the year. So have I, but I don't play pro rugby.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
:nta: we must have been watching different games, I though Mitchell was near the Rebels best back.

Yeah? Could have just been frustration on my part, was just watching the same stuff that happened in the Crusaders trial happen all over again. If you reckon he was though, then I'm happy for him to stay, as long as he stops drifting in on defense.

H

high tower

It's good to see that Palmer is fit to play as it didn't look good. It was supposed to be a groin injury and they can be long lasting.

At least Huxley has a bit of speed. Gerrard has got slower by the year. So have I, but I don't play pro rugby.

Maybe correct but Huxley's first and second option is to kick(so the speed is wasted), Gerrard will take on the man first and kick second.

Status
Not open for further replies.