• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Brumbies match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Cyclo,

Glad to see you are a convert to the "pot Plant". We did predict big things in the scrum from him when he could get a regular start. He has even improved his play around the park a bit, though he is still far from "mobile".

I said earlier in the thread that it appeared to me that the Ponies rely totally on a few individuals to get over the gain line and the Rebels targeted those individuals very effectively in defence and hence the Brumbies did not make the gain line effectively. Giteau did not create anything of note for his outside men and as you note gives many short hospital passes to those who enjoy taking the ball into contact. Of note was that when Fainga'a came on he made easy metres because the defence was targeted elsewhere, he was not one of the Brumbies identified runners and as such in most cases only had to break a desperate tackle from somebody who had been set for a different runner.

On a side note if Mcabe doesn't stop his upright running straight at set tacklers eg the Saffy tackle he will have a short career and much less successful than his ability could have got him. I applaud his attitude and commitment but play smarter son you are not Willie O or Daniel Manu to smash people in attack.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well done Rebels! I honestly didn't see that coming. It was a massive defensive effort, and Byrne and Lipman were outstanding in that area. Hats off to the " old ex-Brumbies" in Gerard, Huxley and tryscorer Mortlock. Must have been particularly sweet for them.

Tell you what though, they are going to have to fix up their set piece. No way they can keep winning turning over that much pill and defending for such long periods.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies loose forward Mitchell Chapman has today been suspended from playing for one week after a SANZAR Judicial hearing following last night’s Super rugby match between the Rebels and the Brumbies in Melbourne.

Chapman was called to answer a charge of striking against Melbourne Rebels flyhalf Danny Cipriani in the 10th minute of the second half of last night’s match.

SANZAR Judicial Officer Campbell Thomson, who heard the case this morning, upheld the charge, ruling that Chapman had connected near the right eye of Cipriani, recklessly striking the Rebels player with an open left hand.

Mr Thomson determined that Chapman should be suspended for one week as a consequence of his action.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Palmer is impressing each week in set pieces more and more. Definitely one to watch.

He always was. The Tahs haven't lost too many contracted players they wanted to keep in the last few years but, as I've said before, Palmer is the one we wanted most to stay.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
was in he paper today. friend no longer has a hands on role in coaching. whatever that means

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
was in he paper today. friend no longer has a hands on role in coaching. whatever that means

Sadly that says it all. Dead man walking. Now let's see if those who do have "a hands on role" can deliver. After all they have almost a whole season to do so.

C

CanadianRugby

Was away for the weekend and realize I´m coming to the conversation late. Loved this win. Great win for the Rebels. Doesn´t really matter that a fair amount of luck was involved (the ball bouncing to Hux to set up the late try) even good teams need luck to win sometimes. The best part of this game was the passion by both the crowd and the players. Lipman had great commitment and Delve worked hard the whole game. Loved it.

Just to address the people who say that the Rebels won´t win games giving away that much possession. True. But they will get better and I´d expect by the end of the competition they will be much better and have a better structure. A win like this is an excellent beginning, not the best the Rebels will ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.