• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Brumbies match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
On what we've seen so far the Brumbies won't make the finals. Their best performed players are the newbies - Palmer, Vaea, McCabe, To'omua, Coleman. There is no clearcut plan for their game that is visible from the stand. I don't care if Giteau is playing better this year, he cannot run a gameplan properly. And that's what a 10 has to do. The only reason the Brumbies won last week was the worst case of the dropsies I've ever seen from the Chiefs. And they do drop a lot of ball. They didn't deserve to win tonight despite dominating the match because they didn't know how to turn that domination into points. Unless Friend takes control of the team and makes changes, he may as well just spend the time getting his CV ready.

For the Rebels, Cipriani is the type of 10 they need, one schooled in the art of kicking with the occasional pass. If he had grown up here he would either have learnt to run or would not have made it to an academy. But he's perfect for the sort of game the Rebels have to play because they just don't have the fully developed cattle to play anything but the worst style of British rugby. Their play tonight reminded me of Scotland. All passion and grit but little skill. They need to recruit smart and they do have a couple of keepers in Saffy and Vuna. They have to find at least one good lock - Byrnes is a waste of space - and some good young talent. But I have faith in McQueen.

Kraplan was terrible. If he ever refs the Tahs again it will be someone from the appointments board trying to fix a result. Keep him in SA, they seem to like him there.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
gnostic phibbs is just as shit. what was with thoese kicks?

Maybe the fact that none of the Brumbies where making the gain line and their one up runners who they use so often to do that were getting smashed. Mcabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Vaea are the only players to regularly take the ball up and they do it one out. Moore is also use to a lesser extent.

IMO Phibbs is a better half back and doesn't get dragged into the shit that Valentine does and always has. Hence why as I said he doesn't start at the Wicks. Neither of them covered themselves in glory tonight.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit of a fan of Delve in his first two games. Reckon he's been fantastic.

You could almost feel the atmosphere at home through the tv. Was very good and not something you get much in Australian crowds.

Anyone else notice how the Brumbies lost scrum dominance once Palmer was subbed? Weeks also came on for Sommerville at the same time.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
. They didn't deserve to win tonight despite dominating the match because they didn't know how to turn that domination into points. Unless Friend takes control of the team and makes changes, he may as well just spend the time getting his CV ready.

Thats the attack coaches area. maybe stephen larkham isn't a coach. yet.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
What a great night in Melbourne!

Watching the replay now to savour it.

It was a small shame that most of the Rebels players headed for the sheds and didn't do a lap of honour. Delve enjoyed himself and he is definately the Rebels fan club favourite for both his on-field talent and passion. Mortlock, Gerard, Kingi and Saffy came around belatedly (Stirlo after he'd finished with all post-match formalities). Anyway I told Gareth to tell his teammates on what they missed out on.

I'm actually more impressed with Cipriani on the replay then during the match. Gerard and Huxley were strengths in their positions. Mortlock still well off the pace despite scoring the try. Vuna had a confident game and in hindsight it was a master stroke by MacQueen to take the heat off him by moving him out of 12.

Phipps was handy and defends well.

As I posted during the match the back row is very industrious in both defense and attack. Three workhorses and Delve and Lipman bring a lot of power but they're a bit slow to the breakdown and Lipmans not a fetcher.

Byrne's a waste of space and I hope MacQueen flicks him for being a penalty giving idiot. Campbell and Chamberlain are both useful enough. O'Neills just a journeyman. Hope they give Luke Jones and Huge Hugh Pyle a go.

Front row was good (when they had the chance to scrum) and thankfully Robinson line-out throwing is slowly improving, albeit still iffy.

Not sure why Kingi's not getting more game time.

My B&F points are all Pommy (well part Welsh):

3. Lipman
2. Cipriani
1. Delve

Hon mentions to Gerard, Huxley, Somerville, Saffy and Morty for the meat pie.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
For the Bumblees:

McCabe was solid but gee he's going to get smashed like Rathbone if he doesn't learn to step. Lipman and even Byrne lined him up. Still he's a low mistake, reliable and ever improving player.

Giteau's crabbing and not playing like a flyhalfs arsehole in my opinion. Not the best example for Coleman to leanr from. Bernies got his work cut out.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and the wingers deserve better service and To'omua and/or Lealifano need to come in.

Valentine's a little **** which would be OK if he had one tenth of George Gregans talent. If Phibbs is the answer, then someones asking a stupid question.

Vaea's a find as a ball runner. Haven't taken enough notice of the rest of his game. He's the type of big 8 that we need to see more of.

Salvi was dissappointing and Chapman and Chisholm are both very loose and soft.

Ben Alexander needs a fucken rocket. Shits me that he was performing like a world class THP for the Wallabies two seasons ago and his scrumming has gone to shit and he's way too loose.

A team with this much Wallaby and up & coming talent should not be performing this poorly. Personally I sense Gits is the cancer. Something significant needs to happen there or it will be a long and frustrating season.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
For the Rebels, Cipriani is the type of 10 they need, one schooled in the art of kicking with the occasional pass. If he had grown up here he would either have learnt to run or would not have made it to an academy.

Hawko having watched cips play since he was 17 I feel in a position to challenge you on this. One of his biggest assets is his pace and running game, he is not a Derrick Hougaard kicking only fly half. He has a very good kicking game but the reason why he has been hailed as the great white hope is that he can outsprint probably any back in his team (he could at wasps until Varndell arrived) and make plays that wilko can't.

Wait a few weeks until they are a bit sharper and I guarantee you will see his running game. I would rate him right up there with the best in terms of his running maybe just below Carter and Quade.

Reactions: Epi

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Cipriani needs some hole runners. Delve did it for him twice. I'd like to see Vuna cutting in from the wing a la Digby Iaone. Gerard with a few more games under his belt will be running off Cipriani passes too. Saffy in space out wide could be good too.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Well done Macqueen & Morty for inspiring your Rebels to get up but it was still not a rounded performance that will trouble the serious contenders for the title. Should the players such as Cips, Huxley, Vuna & Gerrard keep improving at this rate then maybe they won't be the bottom dwellers of the Oz conference. By the looks of how the Brumbies are going they will deserve to be there.

Did I really see Phibbs at first receiver a couple of times, wtf!

After Cips took a gentle face massage at a defensive ruck in the second half he rather suspiciously fell to the ground clutching his face and rubbing his eyes. Round ball acts like that certainly won't win him any rugby fans.

Also, I thought it critical that Cips take the kicks instead of Morty who spent the time revving up the troops for another dig.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
Fark. Great game. As a long standing Rebel supporter (both games) it was great to get a win.
Great atmosphere. Took an AFL diehard to the game and he loved it.
Perth shouild never have been given the francgise a few years back. Sorry Farce supporters but that is the truth.

What a pile of garbage and typical melbourne dribble. The Force have built a good brand in 5 years and their attendances as a new franchise wiped the floor with yours. Only 14000 tonight in the self-proclaimed sports capital of the inter-galactic federation.

Don't get carried away with that one tonight - you got lucky and the Brumbies were crap.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
The Cips fall to the ground was definitely in response to a punch. I was approximately 20-30m from the event. I thought it might have been an over-reaction, since it didn't look to land terribly solidly but it deserved a penalty and maybe a card. It was a hell of a lot more serious than what happened in the scrum later.

Atmosphere at the ground was intense. Real ebb and flow of excitement and nerves. Was on the edge of my seat for the last 20 or so minutes of the game. Fans were really letting rip at Kaplan (and the touchies - the one on my side was quite useless). I commented to a mate during the match and I am convinced that (going on what I've read on here before) the Melbourne crowd treats the game differently. Eg: I was in the (non-absurd) pricey seats and we have a good bunch of people who are willing to shout and scream and really get into the match. I'm also convinced that the stadium itself is designed to amplify that noise, because Hux commented at the after game drinks that some of the Canberra players said that they had been blown away and had never experienced anything like it.

One thing I did notice at the after game function, when they trotted out some of the players is that Rodzilla is looking FIT. I mean seriously fit. Rumours about him dropping a lot of weight are definitely true. He almost looked like a big flanker, rather than a prop.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Hawko having watched cips play since he was 17 I feel in a position to challenge you on this. One of his biggest assets is his pace and running game, he is not a Derrick Hougaard kicking only fly half.

Yeh I agree with this. I remember him a couple of tours ago ripping a nice big whole through the Wallabies defence at Twickers. He is a very classy player, and simply needs more consistent game time in a good rugby environment.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Also, I can't believe the Brumbies lost this game. I only watched the final 15minutes of the replay, and they threw up the stats on the screen and I couldn't believe it. The Brumbies had stats that suggested they won the game by 20+ points - over 60% possession, 9 line breaks, made their tackles, scored 2 tries. And then you see the quality of players they have running around for them; it just doesn't add up. Friend needs to take control pretty soon and not be precious about anyones ego!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^Good news about Rodzilla there, James. Do you reckon he'll get a run anytime soon? Must be some chance as the Reb's scrum isn't going that great (although I suppose that can't be solely the front row).

My impression on Cips fall to the ground incident (from watching on TV) was that he seemed to get a finger in the eye from a push in the face. I could be mistaken though and haven't seen a replay.

D

daz

I don't know which game some of you were watching tonight based on the comments. I thought this was a cracking game.

The SANZAR marketing people have got this one right: This comp is called super rugby for a reason.

B

BRIX

gnostic phibbs is just as shit. what was with thoese kicks?

Speaking of scrummies, I genuinely thought Kingi should have gotten a run in the last quarter at the very least with cordingley out through injury. Right before Phipps' flurry of handling errors.

Kingi is a game breaker. Deans had him on his spring tour, and the kids game has been much better that Phipps' on the 7's circuit. Really bewilders me - he needs a crack.

B

BRIX

Excellent game of rugby. Great showcase for the people of Victoria.

Kaplan has all the character traits of a sociopath. He should be exiled

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I enjoyed the game immensely. Although the 2 bad decision in the final 5 minutes ruined it for me. The forward pass I can maybe understand as Kaplan may have been unsighted. But his assistant should have seen it. The penalty, well I still can't see what it was for. Unless he was trying to make up for the earlier error.

Status
Not open for further replies.