• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Brumbies match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the bad decisions cancel each other out, don't they? Brumbies got a non-try, and the Rebels got a penalty for a non-incident. If anything, that is good refereeing.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Kingi is a game breaker.

Agreed! The Rebels have many solid, workman like players in their team, which is safe but not balanced, and not threatening for opposing teams. Chuck someone like Kingi in the mix and opposition coaches and players will have to do their homework, taking the attention away from try scorers like Vuna.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think the bad decisions cancel each other out, don't they? Brumbies got a non-try, and the Rebels got a penalty for a non-incident. If anything, that is good refereeing.

Well there is the old saying that 2 wrongs don't make a right! everyone is just pissed now

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Firstly, congratulations to the Rebels on their maiden win.
They played with passion, which seemed lacking after the first 20 minutes last week, and the crowd helped them to get the win.
Cipriani defintely made a difference this week and his direction around the field certainly helped. I thought his kicking away of posession in the first half was dumb, but proved me wrong.
I thought Mark Gerrard was outstanding and his general play kicking hasn't changed since his last game for the Brumbies and I for one, am glad to see him back in Australia, just a shame it's not with the Brumbies.

Now to the Brumbies....
They should have scored at least 2 more tries from having overlaps which were time and time again wasted. From my seat at AAMI Park, I counted at least 3 overlaps that were ended by the wrong player in the wrong position, mostly forwards in these examples.
The forwards were standing too wide and not getting involved in the tough stuff and lingering in the backline more often than not.
They should be thankful for Speight's try from Kaplan's 'generosity' but what happened at the end, you shouldn't see in juniors.

Well done Rebels, I hope you get more wins in 2011.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I was sitting behind the posts and will wait til Ive watched the tape to comment on the game properly. First thing I liked was the Rebels playing hard and to win. Was good that cips boot finally came on line, especially after the first miss almost hit me. Being there and getting the close win was amazing and the crowd rightly went off.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Another poor 2nd half display by the Brumbies, not that the 1st one was stellar.

Well done to the Rebels who had less than ⅓ possession and though they got the dodgy penalty at the end, the last Brumbies try was just as dodgy. Karma.

The Rebs can't count on opponents with that much possession being as inept as the Brumbies were with it.

Losing lineouts, scrums and restarts doesn't help you to possess the ball and neither does missing so many tackles as the Rebels did. The Brumbies were able to get front foot ball after the missed tackles and rack up the number of possession incidents.

Gnostic mentioned the importance of the dominant tackle the other day. The Rebels need more of them to stop opponents getting a roll-on.

The Rebels did well with the portion of ball they had but they have to improve in the areas mentioned because you can't beat the percentages all the time.

Both the Rat fullbacks, Gerrard and McCabe, had great games for different teams. It was the type of game where Gerrard's lack of speed did not matter, nor did McCabe's over-direct running. In their different ways they were excellent for their teams.

The Rebels team was always going to play better than last week, but the changes for week two seem to work. Some of Phipps' passes were a bit ropey and he will have to smarten them up so that Cipriani can have his full effect. Huxley was a success at 12 and also at chasing the high ball - and Vuna looked more comfortable on the wing and using the touch line to help his defence.

Much better from Rebels but in NZ next week they will have to step up again.

As for the Brumbies - I'll let their own fans talk about them.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyone else notice how the Brumbies lost scrum dominance once Palmer was subbed? Weeks also came on for Sommerville at the same time.

IIRC the same thing happened last week against the force. Palmer on: marked brumbies scrum dominance. Palmer off: brumbies scrum no better than parity. I hope Noriega is watching closely.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great game, the Rebels kept at it and deserved their win.

The Brumbies just don't play enough as a team. No one seems to want to put someone else in a better position.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thats the attack coaches area. maybe stephen larkham isn't a coach. yet.

Maybe he should spend more time coaching attack and less time plotting against Friend who sadly seems to be dead man walking.

I wonder how big a role Larkham played in the Nucifora sacking.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies Flanker, Mitchell Chapman will face a SANZAR judicial hearing on Saturday morning (26 February) in Melbourne.

The Brumbies Flanker was referred to the Citing Commissioner after the game by the Melbourne Rebels for an alleged incident at the end of the 9th minute of the second half involving Chapman and Rebels Flyhalf Danny Cipriani.

SANZAR Judicial Officer Campbell Thomson will hear the Chapman matter.

Chapman will front the hearing on the charge of Striking under law 10.4(a)

The hearing will take place at the Victorian Rugby Union, Visy Park, 10:00 am Melbourne time.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Cipriani schooled Giteau in the 5/8 stakes, what more proof do you need that he ain't a 5/8. It seemed Cipriani just need a week of training in the position to get use to the team tactics, compare that to Giteau who has had years and still going no where. Saffy was awesome too, can't believe he didn't start in round 1. Made 16 tackles according to foxsports and we are still yet to see his best in the running category.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe he should spend more time coaching attack and less time plotting against Friend who sadly seems to be dead man walking.

every team (bar john knuckles) that gits has been involved has had a problem with their coach. Brumbies (2x), Force and Australia under deans.

no one had a problem with friend in his first year till he showed up

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)

Bruce
I wondered what evidence you have for this implied behaviour on the part of Stephen Larkham.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Much better from Rebels but in NZ next week they will have to step up again.

Next week they play the Chiefs. Given the results from the first two rounds maybe they don't have to step up too far. However, they have got problems they will have to deal with:

1. The Chiefs scrum looked good against the Highlanders and the Rebels scrum has not looked good. Somerville is quality, Weeks had a good scrummaging reputation so maybe the problem is further back.
2. They desperately need Freier but its starting to look like he will never make it back.
3. O'Neil has looked OK around the park but apart from a few tackles, Byrnes is not contributing. Lock is a big problem for the Rebels, its one position where they don't seem to have much quality in depth or potential.
4. The Chiefs backline will be far more penetrative than the Brumbies, so living off 20% possession is a recipe for disaster. Even if they drop 50% of their possession the Chiefs will still cut up. And Sivi is starting to look like the player he once was; a couple more games under his belt and he could be lethal.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Replying to Reg's post above, I'm glad the Rebels have cited Chapman. In real time watching, I was incensed (but not surprised) that neither Kraplan nor the two AR's could see the obvious; that Chapman attacked the head of Cipriani behind the play. That he happened to poke him in the eye was probably accidental, but it would not have happened if he hadn't attacked Cipriani's head. He should get two weeks.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce
I wondered what evidence you have for this implied behaviour on the part of Stephen Larkham.

Doug, it is the nature of such matters that there is almost never "evidence" as such. Straws in the wind. Hence my use of "maybe" and "I wonder".

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Doug, it is the nature of such matters that there is almost never "evidence" as such. Straws in the wind. Hence my use of "maybe" and "I wonder".

Bruce your use of, in particular, "maybe", wasn't designed to place doubt into our minds about Larkham's role. It was a suggestion Larkham should coach more and plot less. I don't pick you as someone who would make a statement such as you did for malicious reasons alone. Therefore, you must have some basis for suggesting Larkham, widely regarded as a fair person, is working or bring down Friend. Please elaborate.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just watched the game now.
The Brumbies had no patience or structure in most of their attack, save for the build up to their last try, which really wasn't a try. Headless chook stuff. Giteau does not really set up his outside men, and throws a lot of short, hospital-style passes to often static runners coming back on the angle. Another problem it seems is that they have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe and to a lesser degree Coleman, who are all fine runners of the ball, who like to take it into contact and don't make many "effective" offloads. Combine their 10, with his outside men, and the attack becomes quite predictable. Sure, you have to tackle those guys, and they will break plenty of tackles, but you kind of know what they're gonna do. McCabe will get injured too, if he continues to try to smash through loose forwards too much. They're good footy players, but they need to be playing smarter. I would hope Larkham might provide some pearls of wisdom for them.
Palmer is impressing each week in set pieces more and more. Definitely one to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.