• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Brumbies match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah? Could have just been frustration on my part, was just watching the same stuff that happened in the Crusaders trial happen all over again. If you reckon he was though, then I'm happy for him to stay, as long as he stops drifting in on defense.

I think the video on the main page (thanks Austin) supports my view that he's dragged in because his insides aren't realigning quickly enough. If he stays out, the opposition still scores (probably), just closer to the posts.

He should come good.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah? Could have just been frustration on my part, was just watching the same stuff that happened in the Crusaders trial happen all over again. If you reckon he was though, then I'm happy for him to stay, as long as he stops drifting in on defense.

I think it's important to note he was up against 2 of the best outside backs in the world. He had no experience and was always going to struggle, he'll be better for the run and learn.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd like to see Blake in the 22. I think he could provide some go forward with the ball in hand and from all reports his scrummaging has improved. Could be used off the bench.

I think Kingi would work better with Cipriani as he would keep the defence guessing.

I think that they need to change their tactics in a big way. They seemed to offer nothing in attack.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
From the Rebels website:

Head Coach, Rod Macqueen, has made four changes to the RaboDirect Rebels side to face the Brumbies at AAMI Park on Friday.

Injuries will rule five-eighth James Hilgendorf and blindside flanker Hoani Macdonald out of action for the next few weeks and they are joined in the treatment room for a short while by Sam Cordingley. His hip is being rested after signs of soreness in round one but the halfback is not expected to be out of action for long.

In come direct replacements Danny Cipriani, Jarrod Saffy and Nick Phipps.

The RaboDirect Rebels also welcome Mark Gerrard into the matchday squad for the first time. Following preseason commitments in Japan, Gerrard will debut for the Rebels at fullback. His inclusion causes a reshuffle to the outside backs, with Julian Huxley moving to inside centre, Cooper Vuna reverting to the wing and Luke Rooney dropping to the bench. Explaining his decision, Macqueen explained: “We’ve now got a different combination, bringing Huxley into inside centre, working with Danny Cipriani. I think they’re a good combination together. Cooper Vuna’s done a fantastic job, coming from rugby league, playing in a position that he hasn’t played in a lot and that will hold him in good stead.”

Back rower Tom Chamberlain and scrumhalf Richard Kingi have received call-ups to the reserves list.

1. Nic Henderson, 2. Ged Robinson, 3. Greg Somerville,
4. Adam Byrnes, 5. Kevin O'Neill, 6. Jarrod Saffy, 7. Michael Lipman,
8. Gareth Delve (vc),

9. Nick Phipps, 10. Danny Cipriani,
11. Cooper Vuna, 12. Julian Huxley, 13. Stirling Mortlock (c), 14. Lachlan Mitchell,
15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Laurie Weeks, 18. Alister Campbell, 19. Tom Chamberlain, 20. Richard Kingi, 21. Afusipa Taumoepeau, 22. Luke Rooney

Good team.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Huxley at 12... bold.

Anyone seen him play here ever? I mean seriously, playing a 2 distributer combo is very different from the 2 big fellow combo we've seen all preseason.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Huxley at 12... bold.

Anyone seen him play here ever? I mean seriously, playing a 2 distributer combo is very different from the 2 big fellow combo we've seen all preseason.

It is a huge call, and extraordinary that they have had to try such an experiment in Round 2. I really hope it works for them.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Huxley at 12... bold.

Didn't he start his career in the centres? It's pretty ballsy but one of Hux or Gerrard had to not play FB.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Huxley at 12... bold.

He played some good rugby there for the Reds in 2006.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Huxley played at inside centre for the Brumbies against the Sharks in 2007...

He played well... in fact that was Bernie's first game back after a few weeks injury and the Brumbies became the first team to beat the Sharks that year... and in South Africa...

However, I'm pretty sure that Huxley was Cooper'd in defence... AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) played fullback and shifted into inside centre when the Brumbies were defending...

Much better looking team from the Rebels... Gerrard at fullback is a much better choice than Huxley whose first option every time is to kick...

Also, Huxley is not much better than Peter Hewat in defence...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It is a huge call, and extraordinary that they have had to try such an experiment in Round 2. I really hope it works for them.

I agree with you Bruce. Especially as he is not a noted runner with the ball. He's been around the traps though, so he does understand Super Rugby.

Sad to see Davidson couldn't get a bench spot, Chamberlain must be good.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Looking forward to seeing Vuna on the wing, he's a much better runner of the ball than the Tahs match showed. It may come to no effect though if the Rebels can't clear the ball wide from the breakdown, which they struggled to do against the Tahs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I like Vuna on the wing and Gerrard at fullback. Huxley at IC is probably a case of needing him in there SOMEWHERE, and this being the only place it really works. Still will be good to see how Robbie Coleman handles him.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
is hux at 12 a defensive move? I always thought he was a pretty good tackler (ever since he was the only team mate who was able to bring me down solo when we played juniors) but also for the reds and brumbies

C

CanadianRugby

I like this team. Vuna on the wing is probably good because he knows a bit about it from his mungo days and he won't ahve to deal with the complexities of defending in the centres. Give him a few games to learn Union on the wing. He'll be back in the 12 shirt before long. Huxley at 12 helps give the backs a bit more direction. How does everyone feel about Saffy? Don't know much about him and haven't heard great reviews about him, but nothing bad either. Wasn't a fan MacDonald at 6. Very happy Rooney is out of the 15.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I read today that Macqueen is considering playing a Huxley and Mortlock pairing in the centres and Gerrard at fullback... Ex-Brumbies v the Brumbies... bring in old to control vanguard. I'm sure Larkham and Gits will disguise the calls… perhaps even make a few false calls to tricky their old comrades… I think Coleman’s quick acceleration could make these guys look very silly. Also a bit ex-brumby to brumby in the frontrow and wings.

Brumbies need a bonus point on this one. But I’m sure the rebels will be better week 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.