• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Brumbies match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Rebels will be desperate to score some points this week...

The Brumbies certainly don't want to get complacent...

If Giteau can supply some decent ball to Coleman and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) then that Rebels' midfield is going to have some problem...

Huxley isn't the most reliable defender and Mortlock is a little slow...

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Heard today that there is a Nucifora type problem starting to develop at the Brumbies between Friend and the players . Anyone else heard this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heard today that there is a Nucifora type problem starting to develop at the Brumbies between Friend and the players . Anyone else heard this.

Nope.

Unless you're referring to the problems Friend had with his assistant coaches last year which saw Finegan and Young both forced to resign.

D

daz

It is a huge call, and extraordinary that they have had to try such an experiment in Round 2. I really hope it works for them.

Agree. Depth for injuries is going to be a major factor for the Rebs, but this is old news I suppose. Tinkering with the squad I can understand, but this is a significant re-org. Maybe it's just me, but this reeks of desperation. Not what you want to see in round 2.

What is Hux like on speed and line breaks?

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
I think I've been one of Huxleys harshest critics over the years. Never saw him as Wallaby quality, doubted his ability with ball in hand and his defence.

Was very much against him at FB for the Rebels, but to be fair he was the only Rebel to break the line and threaten the Tahs. OK so he was woeful at cover defence but he gave a relatively assured performance at the back in a well beaten side.

Perhaps he should stay at 15?

I would have liked to see Vuna given some more time at 12.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
This comes across as very drastic stuff from rod. hope for their sake it works but doesn't fill me with any faith

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Good to see Gerard in the team, I think he will make a big difference. I think it is smart to put Vuna on the wing while he continues his way up a fairly steep learning curve. With a bit of room to move he will be a handful.

Would love to see the Rebels take this out but it's a long shot. I think everyone will be happy if they are competitive.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hope Rat Gerrard does well but he was woefully slow the last time I saw him play. He's a good footie player though and can position himself well enough on defence to overcome his slowness. On the other hand he is not the kind of fullback who can take advantage of open field running opportunities and will be looking for his wingers, before the right time, to dish the pill out to them.

It's a pity for him that there was a global crackdown on the breakdown laws. Before then professional teams were too scared to retain the ball and aerial ping pong prevailed. That is more Gerrard's strength these days.

Tell you what though: in the rain on a wet pitch he would be the first player I would pick. His MOTM performance for the Brumbies against the Tahs in the Sydney rain in a losing team 3 years ago was a memorable performance.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Good to see Gerard in the team, I think he will make a big difference. I think it is smart to put Vuna on the wing while he continues his way up a fairly steep learning curve. With a bit of room to move he will be a handful.

Would love to see the Rebels take this out but it's a long shot. I think everyone will be happy if they are competitive.

Main thing I'm after is our first try. Everything else is a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.