• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ruben Love has signed up for two more years at 'canes. If he doesn't crack AB in that time I'd expect him to then head overseas at 24-25 which is kinda depressing.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fozzie's selections have always been those of a dull conservative company man but I would say the weight of public pressure has forced him to have a cursory look at Stevenson and Roigard in the RC.

Aside from that its laughable to see Stuff with their "AB watch player ratings" thing. "Who's going to make the cut from Soup Rugby and be on the plane????"

It's already been decided you dopes.

eg, the midfield. For Fozzie, Goodhue, ALB, Quinn Tupaea etc only have to have a pulse and they're on the plane.

On form Roigard should surely usurp Christie or Weber..... but Fozzie isnt in the business of making bold decisions. FFS if it was up to him we'd still have George Bridge and Grant Batty on the wings. "They've got the experience with the systems, let them play their way back into form....."

The hapless zero-impact RWC 2019 losing pack from the semi?
  • 1 Joe Moody
  • 2 C Taylor
  • 3 Nepo Laulala
  • 4 Brodie Retallick
  • 5 Sam Whitelock
  • 6 Scott Barrett
  • 7 Ardie Savea
  • 8 K Read

Insert Sam Cane for Read and it might be exactly the same pack this time around.

"But this time it will be different" says Fozz. "They have more experience now......"

The backline from the 2019 failure?
  • 15 B. Barrett
  • 14 Sevu Reece
  • 13 J Goodhue
  • 12 Anton Lienert-Brown
  • 11 Bridge
  • 10 Richie Mo'unga
  • 9 Aaron Smith
"We'll chuck Rieko on the wing for Sevu. So we can maintain continuance from 2019...."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really like reading this , a huge plus and great work by NZR I think.-

NEW ZEALAND AND JAPAN STRENGTHEN RUGBY RELATIONSHIP​

New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and Japan Rugby Football Union (JRFU) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to deepen the relationship between the two national unions and grow the game across the Asia Pacific region.
The MoU will see the two unions explore strategic and commercial opportunities including more regular matches between the All Blacks, All Blacks XV and Māori All Blacks and Japan Rugby’s Brave Blossoms and Japan XV.

The All Blacks, Māori All Blacks and All Blacks XV will play the Brave Blossoms and Japan XV on a regular basis in Japan, from 2024 to 2027.

There will also be a commitment to explore opportunities for New Zealand-based Super Rugby teams to play Japan League One outside of core DHL Super Rugby Pacific competition windows, and for the Black Ferns Sevens and All Blacks Sevens to play the Japan Sevens outside of existing tournaments.

In the women’s rugby space, opportunities will be discussed around the inclusion of some of Japan’s top women’s players to play in the Sky Super Rugby Aupiki and Bunnings Warehouse Farah Palmer Cup competitions.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's great for NZRU - seems like RA left out in the cold. NZ Maori should be playing regular matches against Aussie A.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ NZR's brief is to always do what's best for rugby in NZ; RA's brief is to always do what's best for rugby in Australia. Sometimes those briefs will intetsect & be mutually beneficial, other times either will pursue whatever other opportunities come their way - article doesn't say who approached who but what if it was JRFU who got the ball rolling? Is NZR supposed to get RA in on the deal as well & risk JRFU walking away?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well to me it's probably a brand thing as much as anything for Japan, who gets more attention and so grow game in Japan? I also think it helps that NZR and Japan have already a good relationship,

I actually wonder if talks have been in background for a fair while, and has something to do with NZR originally not being keen on tying up for Super rugby until 2030, from what I read they wanted it to be until 2027? Would of opened foor for alternative comp etc?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another good news day for NZ rugby fans that chose to do it, NZ gov't allowing pubs to change opening hours for World cup matches, as most games are on at 7-8 am you can go to pub for Brekky and watch the tests!

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
What’s thoughts on selections for the end of year squad

keeping in mind out of contention are
Sevu Reece - good chance to get selected as the 5th or 6th outside back but not in the best 23
Fletcher newell - was a good chance as well
Angus taavaou - fell away abit end of last year
George bower - slight chance

many smokies also predicting to get in?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Only smokey I think (and not sure I call him smokey after his season) is Nawara for Chiefs , maybe Stevenson, but if Jordan keeps fit and goes well he probably won't fit in. Just not enough spaces in squad.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ you don't think there's room for both WJ & SS if JBar is the first-pick 12?

They took five outside backs in 2015 & I think also five in 2015 so...

Clarke
Jordan
Stevenson

Still leaves room for one of Fainga'anuku or Narawa plus someone else.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I see ALB in midfield, along with Havili to back up JB, but yep see your point WOB, depends if Perofeta gets a gig, or if they see DMac as a 10 or 15/10 etc. Not arguing with either way or who really gets in, and wonder if Telea is still in the mix too for wing.

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Are tj perenara and Quinn teupue back in time? I think these guys were needing a good super rugby season to get a spot so may miss out with little game time before the cup

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Are tj perenara and Quinn teupue back in time? I think these guys were needing a good super rugby season to get a spot so may miss out with little game time before the cup
TJ is a chance I think, but Quinn Tupaea very little chance. Be surprised if TJ gets enough time to put his hand up anyway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sad to read of the passing of Bruce Robertson the All Balcks centre from the 1970s, genuinely desrved the title of Prince of Centres in my opinion.
A player who was involved in 2of the 3 little moments I have seen live that will remain with me for rest of my life!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Razor Selects No Auckland Blues In First All Black XV

--June 2024---

New All Black coach Razor Robertson has today selected his first all Black XV. There appears to be not a single Auckland Blue. "Nothing personal," said the new coach. "But we're here to win. Not vanish when the heat goes on. My Cantabs teams played the Auckland Blues a few times and they are some of the dumbest people who ever lived. Again, nothing personal."

1. de Groot
2. Samisoni
3. Lomax
4. Scrote Barrett
5. Lord
6. Ethan Blackadder
7. Ardie Savea
8. Cullen Grace
9. Roigard
10. DMac
11. Leicester F
12. Jordie Barrett
13. T. Umaga Jensen
14. Shawn Stevenson
15. Will Jordan

Further to this, Robertson provided in-depth scouting reports of the discarded Blues All Blacks:

Ofa: penalty magnate and seems barely interested at the best of times.
Pat Tuipulotu: indecisive, passive passenger
Dalton Papali'i: decent player but the stink of being an Auckland Blue might permeate my new AB environment ergo FIRED
Hoskins Sotutu. Fuck all that fancy hands bullshit. How about winning a lineout pal.
Akira Ioane: LOL. This guy just walks from ruck to ruck.
Finlay Christie: pass is too ropey
Rieko Ioane. Can't pass the rugby football at all and, along with his brother, failed my No Dickheads In The AB's policy
Mark Telea: see D Paps.
Caleb Clarke: Total puttyhead. Dropped ball, defensive lapses. Go away.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was stoked to hear Mark Robinson talking on Breakdown, saying ABs next year got Fiji and Poms in June, but also trying to get a teat played in Fiji after those tests, great for promoting game there. Won't be a moneymaker for NZR, it's to get game promoted more in Fiji, ,, but if they get FRU probs sorted it, it sounds like it a goer. Bloody good stuff!!
Was also interested that he was saying that 17,5% ($40 mill) of NZR's earnings go to provincial unions, wondered the amount.

Last edited: