• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was stoked to hear Mark Robinson talking on Breakdown, saying ABs next year got Fiji and Poms in June, but also trying to get a teat played in Fiji after those tests, great for promoting game there. Won't be a moneymaker for NZR, it's to get game promoted more in Fiji, ,, but if they get FRU probs sorted it, it sounds like it a goer. Bloody good stuff!!
Was also interested that he was saying that 17,5% ($40 mill) of NZR's earnings go to provincial unions, wondered the amount.

Yeah but as with the Japan deal they've left poor old RA out in the cold. Sad.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
AL-B has re-signed through to 2026.
Very good news this WOB, I think NZR have certainly got it pretty right and seem to be keeping a good percentage of players they want. I do remember Robinson saying they can't keep everyone so target who they want to keep most.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brad Weber has confirmed he's leaving but still won't say he's going to Stade Francais as reported by L'Equipe back in January.

I don't think his imminent departure should or will affect his AB selection, to me he's clearly no. 2 behind ASmith.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Brad Weber has confirmed he's leaving but still won't say he's going to Stade Francais as reported by L'Equipe back in January.

I don't think his imminent departure should or will affect his AB selection, to me he's clearly no. 2 behind ASmith.
I thought he had already announced it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I seem to recall him doing the "that's just paper talk" thing with an ear-to-ear grin on his face pre-season & it's been semi-common knowledge in these parts for months but I think this is the first official acknowledgment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great news for Chiefs and Taranaki Bulls (which is what pleases me most)!

Concreter no more
1f60e.png

We're pleased to announce exciting midfielder, Daniel Rona has signed a 2 year deal with the Yarrows Taranaki Bulls and a 3 year deal with the Gallagher Chiefs
1f49b.png
1f5a4.png

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not the whole thing but the most relevant parts.

Thomas, who had been NZR’s chief commercial officer since 2019, was promoted to the new role of chief executive of NZR Commercial in August last year. His promotion came after he played significant roles in securing Ineos, Altrad and SAP as new sponsors and launched a new initiative called All Blacks Performance Labs, which is aiming to sell leadership programmes to executives at some of the world’s leading corporations. The Herald understands the search for a new CEO began in February.

It is understood he told staff on Monday that he is leaving the organisation. It is not known whether he has another role lined up elsewhere, but he has told the Herald: “I am stepping down as CEO of NZ Rugby Commercial at the end of June. “The NZRC board will continue the process to appoint a permanent CEO over the coming months.”

Once known as CommCo, NZR Commercial is the entity that was formed as part of the deal to sell a private equity stake to Silver Lake and houses all the national body’s commercial assets such as broadcast income, sponsorships and gate revenue. Given this new set-up, most observers believe the chief executive of NZR Commercial is now the most important and influential position in New Zealand rugby. In setting up the company, which has total responsibility for driving all commercial revenue in professional rugby, NZR initially said it would initiate a global hunt for a chief executive and an independent chair of the nine-person board of directors. But while it did conduct a global search to hire former Commonwealth Bank CEO Ian Narev as chair, the decision was made to promote Thomas to interim chief executive of NZR Commercial to provide the new business with continuity and make use of his knowledge around the sponsorship market and the potential of what new business initiatives were viable.

That decision to promote Thomas was rewarded last month when NZR announced that revenue jumped to a record $270m. While NZR initially announced that Thomas was fulfilling the role on an interim basis, his own LinkedIn profile makes no mention of being the acting CEO. Also, NZR’s press release on April 1 this year, referred to Thomas as CEO of NZR Commercial – again making no suggestion he was either interim or acting. But it appears from Thomas’ statement to the Herald, that the NZR Commercial board have decided not to make his position permanent and that the promised global search for a replacement is underway.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Very fishy behaviour from that fishhead......

Almost canary in the coalmine territory.....

Oh well. Leaves a void at the top I'm sure W.Oldboy can fill. Let's see W's manifesto and then senior internet board members Zero and I can hastily rubber stamp his application through before anyone's the wiser.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Joe Moody has had surgery to repair an ankle tendon. Out for the remainder of Super Rugby but expected back for AB duty "if selected"

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the other hand, Wayne Smith is back (sort of).

Women’s World Cup-winning coach Wayne Smith has been appointed as Performance Coach to the Black Ferns and All Blacks in a new role.

New Zealand Rugby announced on Friday morning that Smith’s job will include “mentoring and supporting the respective head coaches and enhancing the quality of coaching delivery across the two teams.”

Smith has already started working with Black Ferns director of rugby Allan Bunting but will not commence his role with the All Blacks until after the World Cup in France, when Scott Robertson replaces Ian Foster.

Smith said he in a statement that he was grateful to be able to continue his long association with the legacy of the black jersey and NZ Rugby.

Smith said he would continue to challenge norms and encourage coaches and players to think outside the box.

“It’s important to consider different perspectives and solutions as coaches. As we head into a new era for the game, I am a great believer in the importance of diversity, of relationships and of people.

“As a coach I’ve been very fortunate to have been exposed to that through my career”.

Being responsible for "mentoring and supporting the respective head coaches and enhancing the quality of coaching delivery across the two teams" seems to be bit of a damning indictment of the recent AB and BF coaching setups...