• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sounds promising.

2xiomtrne9yb1.jpg

Presumably these will occur in the year before and after a RWC, to account for the Lions tours. For e.g., NZ could end up with a schedule of:

2027: RWC
2028: Tour of SAF
2029: Lions tour
2030: Boks tour
2031: RWC

Then the Boks for 2027-2031:

2031: RWC
2032: ABs tour
2033: Lions tour
2034: Tour of NZL
2035: RWC

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Locks
Fabian Holland (21, 6'8 + 118)
Zach Gallagher (22, 6'5 + 111)
Josh Lord (22, 6'8 + 106)
Sam Darry (23, 6'9 + 110)
Tupou Vaa'i (23, 6'7 + 118)
Cameron Suafoa (25, 6'5 + 116)
Scott Barrett (29, 6'6 + 118)

Just me or somewhat underwhelming?
I think Lord could be a great Test match player. Between Vaa'i, Barrett and Lord they will be fine.

Always going to be hard to follow up Whitelock-Retallick.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Locks
Fabian Holland (21, 6'8 + 118)
Zach Gallagher (22, 6'5 + 111)
Josh Lord (22, 6'8 + 106)
Sam Darry (23, 6'9 + 110)
Tupou Vaa'i (23, 6'7 + 118)
Cameron Suafoa (25, 6'5 + 116)
Scott Barrett (29, 6'6 + 118)

Just me or somewhat underwhelming?

Dogroll aside, they're all young so seems fine to me. If half of them were 27+ then yeah would be alarming, but five options <25 is fine imo. In the short term there's also Josh Dickson and even Tuipulotu.

EDIT: jk Dickson has gone to Japan.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Taukei'aho is still around at hooker next year, right?

I'm a bit of a Tom Robertson fan - I hope he has a big season. I still hold a slim hope that Akira becomes more of the tough, hard-man type 6 that Test rugby requires.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That would be huge. Seu is going to Japan but it could just be 1 season, with a late turn up for Moana.

Mike Tindall has 179 caps for gloucester but prettttttty sure it won't be him.
I have Ben Morgan with 171-187 Gloucester caps depending on the source and he just retired so it could be him, though it also seems unlikely.

Freddie Burns was at Gloucester for a fair while but I don't think he got to 179 (wikipedia has 131). Does make some sense given his stint at the Highlanders last year.

Mark Atkinson is getting up near 179 - all.rugby have him at 167.

Hard to find definitive and current list of caps though, so I guess we'll just have to wait until tomorrow. I considered trying to work out the junior wallaby too, but there are just too many options.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I got no probs with him resigning, if there are better players around they will get the spot, but I am of the school of thought that I love some of our experienced players hanging around.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ if 'canes want him in their SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) setup and/ or 'naki want him in their NPC setup good luck to them (& Beaugan) but NZR shouldn't be signing him through to 2027 IMO.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
If his missus absolutely must bully him into staying in Auckland then he can sit on the bench for the Blues, at the absolute best. If he has actual, current, Super Rugby form. There's no way Perofeta and Sullivan should be sacrificed for him.

That or commute to the Tron.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah i'm really looking forward to a Blues Super season without Beaudy's shadow casting over everything.

Hopefully ABs wise Razor makes Beauden earn his playing time - that wasn't the case under Foster

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Important to remember that the notion of Beaugan going to Japan on a multi-year deal but remaining AB-eligible came from NZR staff not Beaugan. I'd put money on this proposed arrangement having come out of the same office(s).

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Important to remember that the notion of Beaugan going to Japan on a multi-year deal but remaining AB-eligible came from NZR staff not Beaugan. I'd put money on this proposed arrangement having come out of the same office(s).

It's not going to Japan on a multi year deal. It's signing a NZR multi year deal and spending 1 season in Japan