• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
XV according to tom decent

Wallabies' starting XV: James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Pete Samu, Michael Hooper, Harry Wilson, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks.
That actually looks like a pretty good selection if the criteria is picking guys on Super Rugby form to me.

The obvious exception is White - but there is a clear rationale there.

The other questionable one would be Banks - but his early season form was good, then he got injured. He played well in the final and, presumably, is now completely recovered from his injury.

I’ll be happy if that is the team named.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I assume it’s Paisami that doesn’t excite you because that is basically the backline everyone has picked since the SuperAu final except Paisami is in for Petaia.

Would be happier if DHP and Petaia were in. But I guess this is the best we can put out injuries permitting.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
DHP looked in rough shape in his last game. They will not play him unless he is 100% as there are other similar options.
If Petaia is out we need some real fire power in midfield and Paisami is the only one who can provide it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If Lolesio is on the bench though, I assume that probably means McDermott is missing out. You surely wouldn’t finish with two first gamers in the halves? Maybe Powell for the value of combination?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If Lolesio is on the bench though, I assume that probably means McDermott is missing out. You surely wouldn’t finish with two first gamers in the halves? Maybe Powell for the value of combination?
Depends what they want. If they want more "up-tempo" they might even go with Gordon. My gut feel is it will be Powell.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Predicted list isn’t looking far off what many were picking.

How do we rate MK and Daugunu under the high ball/kicking?

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)

Not great - hence why the selection of a traditional fullback in Haylett-Petty would be a prudent decision.

MK and Daugunu on the wings is perfectly fine. Attacking/running prowess is fantastic. But it needs to be balanced.

Banks doesn't quite achieve that balance.

Hammeroid

Chris McKivat (8)
People should go watch the 2016 all blacks v wallabies in Wellington via the All blacks YouTube page (just posted).DHP and Hodge are horrible.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not great - hence why the selection of a traditional fullback in Haylett-Petty would be a prudent decision.

MK and Daugunu on the wings is perfectly fine. Attacking/running prowess is fantastic. But it needs to be balanced.

Banks doesn't quite achieve that balance.

How so?

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)

They will do just fine under the highball. We also have 3 very handy kickers in JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua and Banks at the back.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ej1u7xVVgAA4ihV

I'd say Rieko at centre and McNuggets on the wing are the two real surprises.

In terms of test match experience, there's a total of 659 caps in the starting XV ranging from 9 (Frizell & Bridge) to 117 (Whitelock), with a mean of 44 caps. The reserves have 215 caps ranging from the three debutants (Vaa'i, Sotutu, and Clarke) through to a very noice 69 (old man Coles), with a mean of 27 caps.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That NZ side is going to put up the high ball every 2nd phase. Get ready Tom, Filipo and Marika. Certainly hope they've been preparing unlike JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Ioane in 2011.

Don't understand what more Will Jordan needed to do to get a starting spot on the wing?
George Bridge has been underwhelming all season. Jordan on the other hand, electric..

Make a tackle.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper, Pete Samu, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks
RESERVES: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Ala'alatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon, Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dont get it. I thought the All Blacks were renewing their focus on winning the collisions, but they wheel out basically the same team (but with Frizell in for Barrett) that got dominated by England. Oh and with two sevens and no Retallick